× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Problem with RAIDar finding Readynas ultra 2 plus

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi - I am an absolute newbie and really struggling to get RAIDar to recognize my readynas.

When begining installation yesterday I installed a single drive (Seagate Barracuda LP 2TB ST2000DL003) and began a full factory reset. Whilst this was going on I installed RAIDar on my machine and tried to find the readynas. As this didn't work I left it for an hour or so before coming back and trying to get RAIDar to find it again.

Over the course of the day I have tried numerous factory resets, ensured the firewall on my machine is off etc. and even tried to find the readynas with no drives in it. It is definitely showing up on my router and if I ping the readynas it all seems to be ok so, I'm at a real loss.

I'm fairly sure that there is a really obvious answer to this that I'm not getting due to my lack of knowledge so, apologies in advance but, all help and advice will be greatly appreciated.
Message 1 of 28
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Problem with RAIDar finding Readynas ultra 2 plus

What version of RAIDiator is on the ReadyNAS? You can check this by logging into Frontview (web-admin interface of the ReadyNAS) at https://ip.address.of.nas/admin

When you do a factory reset there can be brief periods when you can't access RAIDar.

Welcome to the forum!
Message 2 of 28
sphardy1
Apprentice

Try a direct connect to determine if the issue is network related
Message 3 of 28
fbmachines
Guide

Have you tried using the other ethernet port on the back of the NAS?

Are when you connect the ethernet cable, do lights on the NIC come on?
Message 4 of 28
Retired_Member
Not applicable

OK - it's currently running RAIDiator 4.2.15 am I right in thinking that I should update this?
Message 5 of 28
fbmachines
Guide

Yurip wrote:
OK - it's currently running RAIDiator 4.2.15 am I right in thinking that I should update this?

Wouldn't hurt. Also make sure you are running the latest version of RAIDar.
Message 6 of 28
Retired_Member
Not applicable

ok - I have tried both ethernet ports. Given that I am now in with front view I guess I can safely say I am connecting to the router. I have updated RAIDiator to 4.2.17 and updated RAIDar as well but still no joy.

Does anyone have any further suggestions?
Message 7 of 28
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What's the error count like under Network > Interfaces for the NIC you are using?

Have you tried the direct connection sphardy suggested? It's possible your router could be blocking RAIDar. A direct-connection will help determine if this is the case.
Message 8 of 28
sphardy1
Apprentice

sphardy wrote:
Try a direct connect to determine if the issue is network related
Message 9 of 28
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Ok gents, direct connect it is. I'll report back once I have tried this as it will, undoubtedly, give me more questions than answers such is my lack of knowledge.

In the meantime thanks for all the help so far
Message 10 of 28
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Do I need to just set the IP address and the subnet on my machine or do I need to enter a default gateway before I direct connect?
Message 11 of 28
sphardy1
Apprentice

Doesn't matter - gateway won't be used anyway due to the direct connect
Message 12 of 28
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I managed to get it to direct connect but couldn't then connect using either front view or RAIDar. I used the directions from your site word for word but nothing seemed to work. I'm now trying again through the router and it seems like one of the ethernet ports is no longer working and I am now struggling to get onto front view this way as well.
Message 13 of 28
sphardy1
Apprentice

If you cannot connect to the NAS via a direct connect - and assuming you truly have followed the instructions correctly - then the symptoms are pointing to a problem with the NAS or the cable.

Make sure you try different cables & both ethernet ports. A firmware reinstall may also help by resetting the NAS ethernet settings to their defaults (obtain IP address via DHCP, defaulting to 192.168.168.168 in the absence of a DHCP server)

I would persevere with the direct connect as it is the only way to exclude other equipment on your network causing issues
Message 14 of 28
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Remember how I said I was a newb? Well I may have made a small mistake on the direct connect which I have now rectified and I am connected!

Sorry about that.

RAIDar still can't connect but I can get in through front view. The problem is I am not sure what I am looking for - the IP address and subnet match what they should be but after that I am not sure

looking at the LEDs on the front screen it tells me that the Resync is 87% complete. Is this from the factory reset I carried out and will it make a difference?
Message 15 of 28
sphardy1
Apprentice

If RAIDar is still not detecting the NAS, then something is blocking the communication - do you have a firewall on your PC? If so, disable it
Message 16 of 28
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I don't have a firewall and have just checked to ensure it is definitely disabled
Message 17 of 28
fbmachines
Guide

Yurip wrote:

looking at the LEDs on the front screen it tells me that the Resync is 87% complete. Is this from the factory reset I carried out and will it make a difference?

Yes, it is from the factory reset and it shouldn't make a difference for RAIDar.
Message 18 of 28
fbmachines
Guide

What operating system are you using?
Message 19 of 28
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Windows xp - I have someone coming round with another machine (linux) so I can see if it makes a difference using another machine
Message 20 of 28
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Tried with Linux machine and this would not connect through RAIDar

Would the firewall on my router cause the problem?
Message 21 of 28
sphardy1
Apprentice

What does that mean? What exactly do you see in RAIDar? Can you post a screenshot?
Message 22 of 28
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi - This is the screen I get in RAIDar after it has searched for my Readynas

Message 23 of 28
sphardy1
Apprentice

Considering

1. You can access Frontview via a direct connect
2. You state there is no Firewall operating
3. You have recently upgraded your firmware which means the NAS software should be OK

RAIDar should therefore work and I've not encountered such a situation where it does not (You are running RAIDar while directly connected right?)

Last 2 options are 1) Factory Reset 2) contact Tech Support

There are ways to diagnose this further but are beyond what a user should typically be expected to try.

Note that a factory reset will ensure you have a good NAS firmware setup, but will erase any data on your NAS. Details of how to do this are in the FAQ
Message 24 of 28
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thanks for all the help (and patience!) today - I thought I was going completely nuts. I'm going to try a factory reset one more time and take it to tech support
Message 25 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements