× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN104 UPS showing up in log file all the time

bobba84
Luminary

RN104 UPS showing up in log file all the time

As stated in the subject line but required again here for unknown reasons: RN104 UPS issue.

Ever since I bought a UPS a year ago, I keep getting this in my log file every day:

Mon Feb 20 2017 15:27:34
System: New USB UPS detected. Manufacturer: EATON, Model: 5S 700, Serial: .
Mon Feb 20 2017 15:27:30
System: USB UPS removed. Manufacturer: EATON, Model: 5S 700, Serial: .
Sun Feb 19 2017 20:03:01
System: Error communicating with UPS 'UPS1' ().
Sat Feb 18 2017 5:23:07
Sat Feb 18 2017 5:23:04
Fri Feb 17 2017 15:09:31
Fri Feb 17 2017 15:09:27
Fri Feb 17 2017 1:51:36
Fri Feb 17 2017 1:51:32

This has persisted over a few firmware versions. Any idea? Or at least any way to stop it bloody emailing me about UPS issues?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Bobby.

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 60
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN104 UPS showing up in log file all the time

Which firmware are you running?

Message 2 of 60
bobba84
Luminary

The latest (6.6.2, does that sound right?)

It's happened on the last 3 firmwares (before that I didn't have a UPS)
Message 3 of 60
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi bobba84,

You can edit the alerts that you would be getting:

How can I manage the alert event settings on my ReadyNAS OS 6 storage system?

As for the actual issue that you are experiencing, kindly try sending your logs for now; I can try to have our subject matter experts look at it further.

How do I send all logs to ReadyNAS Community moderators?

Regards,

Message 4 of 60
bobba84
Luminary

Thank you, log files sent.

BUT - The UPS options is greyed out and cannot be unticked!

Firmware is actually 6.6.1 (The latest)

Message 5 of 60
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi bobba84,

Let me forward this case for further checking.

Regards,

Message 6 of 60
bobba84
Luminary

Is there any progress? For some reason I received an email saying the question about firmware version above was marked as the solution - this issue is still not resolved.
Message 7 of 60
bobba84
Luminary

I still haven't heard anything... Any progress please? If not, let me know.

Message 8 of 60
Retired_Member
Not applicable

As a workaround (in case my assumptions do not match your setup, please ignore the post):

Currently I understand, that both boxes are connected in two ways. One is supporting power from UPS to NAS, the second is some kind of USB-link making them also talk to each other. The second one I assume is responsible for the alert messages generated in the logs.

So, why not cutting off the communication between the NAS and the UPS at all by removing the usb-link? At least you no longer get your logs swamped. Power support should still be fine, I would assume.

Message 9 of 60
bobba84
Luminary

Hi Roland,

Thank you for the suggestion, but while that would stop the messages, it would also stop the UPS safely shutting down the NAS when it's battery gets low. And safe shutdown is the whole reason for having a UPS.

Guys, is there any response yet from looking at the log files?

Bobby.

Message 10 of 60
StephenB
Guru

@bobba84 wrote:

it would also stop the UPS safely shutting down the NAS when it's battery gets low. And safe shutdown is the whole reason for having a UPS.

Agreed.  FWIW, I think the USB library has been updated recently, and these messages might be a side effect.  I've also seen them in some of my systems (RN526 being one).

I think there is in fact some risk that a safe shutdown won't happen because messages are being lost.

Message 11 of 60
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Sorry, I have to sort of disagree just for the sake of clarity about purposes of ups devices.

For me the the advantages having a ups are as follows (ranked by priority):

(1) Overcome a power surge of a few seconds (probably not more than 15 to 30)

(2) Manage a short power outage of lets say up to 20 minutes max to keep the nas up and running until true power is restored

Why would one buy a ups to wait for its battery going weak and in that case shut down a device appropriately?

To avoid the weak ups battery scenario, I'm testing my ups (have 2 of them) every quarter to find out whether they can still manage situations (1) and (2). With the slightest suspicion of having a weak battery in one of the ups, I replace it. Fortunately, that happened only once so far.

Last but not least: I would not trust a ups anymore to handle that scenario you are afraid of, in case it is having communication issues with the device it should protect. ...and therefore in your situation you would not loose a lot, but keep your logfiles clean of meaningless messages from your ups.

But don't get me wrong. I don't want to sell you any solution. I just wanted to clarify why I came to the suggestion I made to you.

Message 12 of 60
bobba84
Luminary

Thanks for your reply, but please make your own thread if you want to debate about something other than this thread topic. I bought my UPS to handle shutdowns safely when I am not at home. An advertised feature of the UPS and NAS is not working as it should. My house has extended power outages often, and I'm not always home to shut the NAS down.

Admins - is there any progress please???

Message 13 of 60
bobba84
Luminary

Admins - I'd appreciate an update (5th time asking) - even if there is nothing to report!

Bobby.

Message 14 of 60
Sandshark
Sensei

FWIW, I have an Eaton 5S 1500 that's monitored via USB using the Eaton software from a Windows machine, and I also get false alarms on the UPS (though not anywhere near as often as you).

The ReadyNAS uses NUT (Network UPS Tools) for the UPS monitor.  You may get a better answers in the NUT community than here because of more Eaton UPS users.   OS6.6.0 does have an up-to-date version of NUT -- 2.7.4-3.

Message 15 of 60
bobba84
Luminary

Thanks... I'm not sure if this error is caused by the UPS or the NAS but I bought the NAS from Netgear so I expect them to do the debugging.

I've found sometimes the error happens when drives are spinning up from sleep, don't know if it's just coincidence though!

ADMINS! IS ANYBODY IN AN OFFICIAL CAPACITY MONITORING THESE THREADS AT ALL? CAN I PLEASE HAVE AN UPDATE ON THE PROGRESS OF MY QUESTION???????????????????????????????????

Message 16 of 60
Sandshark
Sensei

You can't expect Netgear to have one of every possible UPS on hand to test.  They used to have an area where users could post their experience with different ones, but that disappeared with the new forum format and wasn't well used before that.  Your issue is not common with most UPS's, though some others have reported similar problems with some.

Unless you can prove it's not the UPS that's the issue, I really don't expect you will get much assistance from Netgear.  And even if they know it's NUT that causes the issue, they didn't write NUT and probably couldn't fix it, anyway.

You can sit there adamantly waiting for Netgear to solve your problem for you, or you can be pro-active.  This is not Netgear support, it's a community forum.  Since nobody here has offered up an answer on a silver platter and you are unwilling to try and help yourself, best of luck to you.

Message 17 of 60
bobba84
Luminary

Excuse me, I've been told that someone is looking at it! I'll EXPECT a response, thank you!

Message 18 of 60
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Do you still see this on ReadyNASOS 6.7.0 Beta 4?

Message 19 of 60
bobba84
Luminary

I am not prepared to use a beta version on a production NAS. Has a fix been included in that build?

WHAT IS THE STATUS OF THE INVESTIGATION STARTED ABOVE, PLEASE?????????????????????????????????

WHAT IS THE STATUS OF THE INVESTIGATION STARTED ABOVE, PLEASE?????????????????????????????????

Message 20 of 60
bobba84
Luminary

I am not prepared to use a beta version on a production NAS. Has a fix been included in that build?

WHAT IS THE STATUS OF THE INVESTIGATION STARTED ABOVE, PLEASE?????

Message 21 of 60
bobba84
Luminary

WHAT IS THE STATUS OF THIS ISSUE PLEASE?

Message 22 of 60
bobba84
Luminary

Message 23 of 60
Sandshark
Sensei

So, it doesn't appear that your "expecting a response" is going very well.  Maybe you should try losing the attitude and try to be more helpful.  There have been a couple of non-beta firmware updates since you started this, have they made any difference?

Message 24 of 60
bobba84
Luminary

Thanks for the response.

My attitude is consistent with being ignored for 3 months by someone who said they would check something for me, and for a defective product I paid good money for.

I've just installed the latest update, i'll see how it goes. But I still would like an update on above.
Message 25 of 60
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 59 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements