× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas 1100 Won't boot up

Rbucajun
Aspirant

Readynas 1100 Won't boot up

Hello all,
I have a readynas 1100 running 4.1.12 firmware. Last week drive 1 failed. I had all seagate drives installed drive 1 was a 2TB the rest are 1TB. I pulled a spare drive i had and put it in place of drive 1, although it was only 1 TB. After the drive initialized, and i was able to communicate with my readynas it dropped out on me again. Now the device won't boot, respond to pings, nothing. I was know that my drive 3 was on its way out but not badly. I have pulled drive 1,2, and 3 to attempt to get the device to boot with no luck. I haven't pulled drive 4 yet because im afraid i may lose all my information. I don't know what else to try. I understand that this is a legacy product (unfortunately) but it's what i have to work with at the moment. Any suggestions? If nothing then is there any way i can salvage the 2.3TB of information stored on these drives?? Thank you.
Message 1 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Readynas 1100 Won't boot up

What RAID configuration were you using? X-RAID? Flex-RAID? If you were using Flex-RAID what volumes did you have created?

What errors were you getting on disk 3 and how many?

A resync puts all disks under heavy stress and can finish off a failing disk.
Message 2 of 5
Rbucajun
Aspirant

I was using X-Raid. I was getting ATA errors on disk 3 and it was upwards of 100ish. I'm currently scanning disk 3 with HDDScan utility and it has only come up with 10 bad blocks at 25% so far. Also i just pulled all 4 drives and slapped in a new WD Red into drive 1 and rebooted the readynas, it has a steady blinking blue light and light 2 and 4 on, still no communication. Would that mean its a bad chassis?
Message 3 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What happens if you try a factory default with just the WD RED disk installed? Do you get the same light pattern?

The light patterns are described here: http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/hardware/what_does_this_light_pattern_mean

Possibly a USB Boot Recovery might be needed. Or maybe the memory module in the NAS is bad.
Message 4 of 5
Rbucajun
Aspirant

It came up just fine with the WD Red installed, i had to do a usb recovery but after that it worked. So i pulled the WD Red and reinstalled the drives 2, 3, and 4. And it's coming up the same way as before. Just stuck at booting in raidar. Should i power down and put the WD Red back in then boot up? Or will that cause possible loss of data?
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements