× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Rescue data from an no longer running system (RN10400-100EUS)

uli00
Aspirant

Rescue data from an no longer running system (RN10400-100EUS)

System has been shut down regularly at night time and booted automatically in the morning.

06/22/18 suddenly the system remains unbootet and the display showed an error msg (unfortunately I missed to note it); the power switch no longer worked; therefore I removed power via disconnecting the system from power and re-connected again - but the power switch did not work (to boot) (the “act”-light was on) ; the display remains dark.

for more details and questions see attached file

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Rescue data from an no longer running system (RN10400-100EUS)

First check the warranty status on your system.  If you purchased it new, the hardware warranty is 3 years.  If it is still covered, you can submit an RMA via my.netgear.com.

If you are not covered by warranty, then you might consider a risk-buy of a new power brick, as it is one possibility, and is inexpensive to try.

If you install mdadm and btrfs on your debian system, and can connect one of your two disks to it, then you should be able to mount the BTRFS partition.  These commands shouuld do it.

# btrfs device scan
# btrfs fi show
# mount /dev/md127 /data

If you purchase a new ReadyNAS, you can migrate the disks.  The RN21x series is simplest, as it also uses an ARM processor.

An RN4xx series is also possible (and the RN422 has an LCD panel, which is convenient).  It's an X86 NAS, so you might need to reinstall apps.   Also when migrating from arm->x86, it's important to install a scratch disk on the new NAS first, and then match the firmware you have on the old one.

Either way, if you can extract the data from your RN104 disks, then I'd suggest doing a factory install, rebuilding the NAS, and reloading the data from backup.  It will take a bit longer, but it would guarantee a clean system.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: Rescue data from an no longer running system (RN10400-100EUS)

First check the warranty status on your system.  If you purchased it new, the hardware warranty is 3 years.  If it is still covered, you can submit an RMA via my.netgear.com.

If you are not covered by warranty, then you might consider a risk-buy of a new power brick, as it is one possibility, and is inexpensive to try.

If you install mdadm and btrfs on your debian system, and can connect one of your two disks to it, then you should be able to mount the BTRFS partition.  These commands shouuld do it.

# btrfs device scan
# btrfs fi show
# mount /dev/md127 /data

If you purchase a new ReadyNAS, you can migrate the disks.  The RN21x series is simplest, as it also uses an ARM processor.

An RN4xx series is also possible (and the RN422 has an LCD panel, which is convenient).  It's an X86 NAS, so you might need to reinstall apps.   Also when migrating from arm->x86, it's important to install a scratch disk on the new NAS first, and then match the firmware you have on the old one.

Either way, if you can extract the data from your RN104 disks, then I'd suggest doing a factory install, rebuilding the NAS, and reloading the data from backup.  It will take a bit longer, but it would guarantee a clean system.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements