× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX6100 Cannot connect to the internet - help please

InternetIssues
Follower

EX6100 Cannot connect to the internet - help please

Hi,

I just purchased the EX6100 in order to extend my wireless network signal - my router signal is not strong enough in my basement to access the internet down there. I went through the setup and seemingly connected my new extender to my existing router, but when I get to the step to connect my devices to the extender's new network, I can connect, but I only get a local connection. I cannot connect to the internet. Does anyone have any idea why this might be the case? I would appreciate some help on this.

Message 1 of 26
Ringtail
Initiate

Re: EX6100 Cannot connect to the internet - help please

I have exactly the same problem. I can access the EX6100 from a wifi device and examine its status but its IP address is nothing like what I have on my subnet. Gateway and DNS both show 0.0.0.0. Any device connecting via the EX6100 cannot access the internet. My router can "see" the EX6100 and appears to have allocated an IP address but claims it is "not connected". Wierd. Please help.
Message 2 of 26
karthick1999
Aspirant

Hi,

It clearly indicates that your extender is not properly communicating with the router and that is the reason you are facing this issue.
You can follow the following steps
- Do a hard reset to the extender for one minute
- Power cycled the extender for one minute
- Then you will be able to see the WIFI extender network name as 2.4Netgear_Ext
- You have to connect to the extender name
- It will show connected but no internet access
- Then open a page and go to www.mywifiext.net
- It will show the list of network name
- Select your network name
- Then hit continue
- Please make note of the security option
- If your security option is WEP you have to enter the password next to Key 1 and not next to passphrase
- Then click next
- you will be taken to the next page
- Here select use the same network name for 2.4GHZ ext
- Dont configure the 5GHZ network...The reason is 5GHZ network will not be listed in all the devices
- Then you will be taken to the final page you are one step ahead of connecting to the extender network
- Leave this page open or you can minimize it
- Now go to the WIFI network and click on your network name_2.4 EXT and enter the password and connect it
- Then you can go to the final page you are one step ahead of connecting to the internet
- In that page at the bottom you can click on my devices are connected to internet
- Select it and click next
- You will get a message Successfully connected or a blank page
- Dont worry that you are getting a blank page...Close the window and open it again you will be able to go online
- Place the extender half way from the router to get the maximum signal...
Message 3 of 26
KStork
Aspirant

That procedure didn't solve the problem.
Windows still shows: Currently connected to ...2GEXT - No Internet access.
Message 4 of 26
karthick1999
Aspirant

Which network you have tried...2.4 GHZ or 5GHZ...Is your router a dual band router?
Message 5 of 26
josgood
Aspirant

karthick1999 wrote:
Which network you have tried...2.4 GHZ or 5GHZ...Is your router a dual band router?

I am having the same problem. I have a single band router, 2.4 GHz
Message 6 of 26
karthick1999
Aspirant

I hope the you are connecting the 2.4GHZ network of the extender to the 2.54 GHZ network of the router...
Message 7 of 26
cicero
Initiate

I'm having the same problem. The extender has worked fine for 1 month, but now it suddenly stop working. I can connect to it, but cannot connect to the internet. I've already did the hard reset and installed it again, but it doesn't work. Thank you

Message 8 of 26
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi cicero,

Can you please confirm which router you are using with the EX6100?

Please try updating the router and resetting the router to factory default.
Is the EX6100 updated to latest firmware? http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24862/~/ex6100-firmware-version-1.0.0.28

Regards,

NhanN

Message 9 of 26
Clinker_Bug
Guide

I have same problem one computer will connect another has no internet error worked ok for several months?

Message 10 of 26
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Clinker_Bug ,

Which router is connected to your EX6100?

For the computer that has the internet error - how is its connection with the router? Which operating system is it running (windows/OS X/etc). Please try "removing/forgetting" the EX6100 WiFi network on this computer and then reconnect.

Message 11 of 26
Clinker_Bug
Guide

The Router is a R6300 both computers will connect directly to router via 2G wireless, signal is weak has limited bandwidth.

The HP laptop has Windows 10 will connect to EX6100 2G extended for a couple of minutes then error no interenet access.

The Gateway desktop now has Windows 10 same problem exhibited with Windows 7, will connect to EX6100 for serveral days and then same error no internet access. I then connect  the Gateway to EX6100 5G and it connects normaly and after a few days I can reconnect to 2G service.

The laptop will never connect ot EX6100 I use it connected directly to router with very limited bandwidth.

I have owned the EX6100 about a year, big headache from day one:

The EX6100 was replaced about 6 months ago after suppport failed to solve problem.

I have updated firmware updated wireless adapter driver.

Renamed connections deleted old ones, reconfirgured EX6100 several times and one time it worked for for several weeks with WPS setup.

Message 12 of 26
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Message 13 of 26
Clinker_Bug
Guide

Have all ready tried different channels.

Question if channel interference is the problem why will it connect directly to router which is a weaker signal?

Message 14 of 26
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It could be because of the way your computer devices have prioritized the WiFi networks in the network manager.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2526067

How is your laptop WiFi connection when placed next to the router?

Please try placing the EX6100 near the router and test the connection with your laptop.

Message 15 of 26
CZ
Tutor
Tutor

I am having the same problem described above.  I have done the hard reboot and re-connected but still do not get connected to the internet.

I cannot re-boot the router as I am at a campsite where I do not have access to the router.  I have successfully connected the extender to my home router and to other campsite routers but not this one.

When I access the campsite router on my laptop it directs me to a website where I enter the username and password to access the internet. When I connect my laptop to the extender it never takes me to that web site as I "have no internet access".

SOMEBODY HELP

CZ

Message 16 of 26
Clinker_Bug
Guide

My experience with the EX6100 over 2 years with the original and a replacement is if the EX6100 looses power for any reason such as you move it. The unit will require factory reset and complete reconfiguration. In my case signal is strong but will not connect or states no internet, after reconfiguration of EX6100 connected ok.The same problem numerous times during course of 2 years. I have four computers none will connect after power outage. The tecnical department at netgear wasted my time and money sugesting it was interference and i should purchase a WIFI analyzer.

Message 17 of 26
CZ
Tutor
Tutor

I do a factory reset every time I move to a new RV campsite.  Usually I have no problem connecting to the router and then connecting our devices to the extender.  However there seems to be an issue when connection to the internet happens AFTER a website is accessed via the campground modem.

Message 18 of 26
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi CZ,

Can you please confirm which firmware version is on the EX6100?

http://support.netgear.com/product/EX6100

If you have successfully connected to other camp routers then it sounds like it is an issue with this particular router and possibly not the extender.

Message 19 of 26
CZ
Tutor
Tutor

It was not just that campsite.  I have had the same problem on at least 4 or 5 othe campsites.  I am currently connected on this campsite router.

How do determine which firmware version my extender is using?

Message 20 of 26
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi CZ,

Connect to your extender's WiFi network.

Then open a web browser and go to mywifiext.net

user = admin

password = password

in the top-right corner, it should display "Firmware Version"

You can then go to Administration and check for firmware updates and verify it is running version 1.0.1.36

which you can also download from here:

http://support.netgear.com/product/EX6100

and manually upload it to your EX6100.

Message 21 of 26
CZ
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks nhann,

I did not have the latest firmware version.  I have now updated to the the latest version.

Unfortunately it did not fix my problem.  The extender will not connect to the internet at this camp site.

As I may have mentioned on my last post, the extender successfully connected to the internet at the last campsite.

CZ
Message 22 of 26
Clinker_Bug
Guide

I have had the same problem numerous times this is what worked for me: Use a Cat 5 cable connect to EX6100 in location you plan to use it, reset unit and preform complete setup. donot turn off power or move unit it will connect first time and fail there after.

Message 23 of 26
ChrisMiller
Aspirant

Something is wrong with how the extender is provided access to the router's network during the initial set up. I think there's an issue with the automatically assigned IP or MAC address. After you set up the network with the genie and get to where you can connect to the extended network but don't have internet access, you can fix the issue by unplugging both the router and the extender, plugging the extender in and letting it power up, and then plugging the router back in and letting it boot back up. Once the router begins broadcasting again, the address conflict is automatically resolved, and your network extender should function properly. Keep in mind that you will likely have to complete this process again if you unplug the extender to move it or use the outlet temporarily, or if your extender loses power for some reason. Hope this helps, and sorry for the delayed reply. I just bought one of these today and had this issue, and I found this unresolved thread while looking for a solution and wanted to tie it up.
Message 24 of 26
majorwizkid
Aspirant

hey so i have the dual band ext6100 however I cannot get it to connect to my router in order to extend the network. I have tried WPS setup, Genie setup, and manual setup and all have failed. I have a Netgear Nighthawk modem/router (newest version netgear has) and the firmware on both the router/modem and the extender are up to date. I can cnnect to the extender via my laptop and then access the setup but as soon as I try to apply the settings, the connection drops and the router resets itself. basically the client connection works but the router link doesnt. and I have tried it while ignoring the 5Ghz link and just trying the 2.4 Ghz. it used to work but recently has not been functional.

Message 25 of 26
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7