× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EX6100 WIFI RANGE EXTENDER WRONG PASSWORD

TearMilo
Follower

EX6100 WIFI RANGE EXTENDER WRONG PASSWORD

HI...
I try to connect the extender with the WPS, it does shows the new extender's wireless networks on my wifi lists but whenever i type in my original password as i used for my wifi router and it keeps showing that the password is incorrect or password is invalid. I have double checked with the password and it's the right one.
Could you explain why or how should i get it right?

Tear

Message 1 of 11
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Tear

Have you tried to factory reset the ex6100 and then try to connect agian?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 11
FrustratedEX610
Aspirant

A Factory reset is an arduous process requiring setting up the extender again from scratch, no?  And how might we accomplish the reset if we cannot connect?  What is the hardware process?  How about some actual help here?!?

In my case, I'm not using WPS.  My Model EX6100 extender has a solid green light connection to router, but even after rebooting the iPad (iOS 9.3) and the extender (current firmware) it keeps reporting "incorrect password." I know for certain that my password is correct. This problem occurred after I was connected and used the web interface to change the extender security from WPA+WPA2 AES to just plain WPA2. This is the case for both bands (2.4 GHz & 5 GHz). And yes, the iPad is set to WPA2 as well. So it seems to have something to do with the designation of the security protocol. 

Please help.

Model: EX6100|AC750 WiFi Range Extender
Message 3 of 11
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello FrustratedEx610

To do a Factory reset you hold down the reset button on the extender for 10 seconds it should be a small pin hole on the device that your will need a pen or paper clip to push this will reset it to default and then let you connect to the device to set it up and obtain the password. 

DarrenM

Message 4 of 11
FrustratedEX610
Aspirant

I'm still having problem. I read in one thread that reverting to the prior firmware version resolves the issue. How do I do that?

Your EX6100 product doesn't work with iOS devices. I'm about to ask for a refund. All my iOS devices connect fine directly to the wifi router when close enough for reception.
Message 5 of 11
FrustratedEX610
Aspirant

In some cases a connection can be made, but it gets dropped. Then it commences asking for the PE, and reporting the same wrong PW error or could not connect error.

This is maddening.
Message 6 of 11
FrustratedEX610
Aspirant

PW not PE
Message 7 of 11
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Have you made sure that your extenders network name is different from the main routers?

DarrenM

Message 8 of 11
FrustratedEX610
Aspirant

Affirmative. It's nothing even close.
Message 9 of 11
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

The other thing I would suggest is to make sure it is using wpa2 security and is on the latest firmware.

DarrenM

Message 10 of 11
FrustratedEX610
Aspirant

Darren,

Firmware is reported as "up to date", V1.0.2.16_1.1.130

Concerning security type: It was WPA2-only until yesterday when I switched to WPA2-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES], which seemed to help somewhat. Can't be sure though connections seem to be holding so far. I don't need super high speeds. I don't watch high definition video over the internet.
Model: EX6100|AC750 WiFi Range Extender
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series