× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk X6S AC3000 EX8000 just stopped working

ponceypoo
Tutor

Nighthawk X6S AC3000 EX8000 just stopped working

router: ATT BGW210

extender: see above

firmware: 1.0.1.206

I purchased this unit about 3 days ago and set it up relatively easy. This AM the solid white LED above the signal strength symbol (furthest left on the device) went out and would occasionally blink red. I tried to use the Nighthawk mobile app to re synch it to the router, but no luck. Reseting the extender to factory defaults and setting it up again worked, but isn't sustainable.

Is there a fix for this? How can I prevent this from happening in the future?

Thanks for your help

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 5
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @ponceypoo, it indicates that the location of the extender may not be getting a good enough signal from the main WiFi router. Try relocating it a bit closer or you can use your mobile device or a WWiFi analyzer app to check for the optimum location of the EX8000. Also, please make sure that the firmware of the extender is up to date.

Dexter

Message 2 of 5
ponceypoo
Tutor

Thank you! How do I use my phone to find the optimum position?

Message 3 of 5
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @ponceypoo, you can use third party WiFi analyzer apps (best used with an Android device) or you can use the WiFi signal strength indicator of the phone itself (indicated by bars/radio waves). A good location would be an are where you can still get around two to three bars/waves from the main WiFi router.

Dexter

Message 4 of 5
ponceypoo
Tutor

So, this has been continuing to happen, and the only fix is a factory reset. I believe our main router is losing signal momentarily, and then the extender gets "lost". But to me, it shouldn't get "lost", it should simply pick up the signal once it comes back....

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series