× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Security Key Mismatch Error

cmgauvin
Aspirant

Security Key Mismatch Error

I have two laptops on a network of around 30 that are getting this error. Both were performing fine, then out of nowhere went to connect and this error came up.

Network is WPA2 - AES. Both systems are detecting it as such. I have deleted the old network profiles and they still won't connect. I also have unistalled and reinstalled the network adapters. When I put in the WRONG security key the error comes back "the key or passphrase is incorrect" When I put it in the right one, the error comes back Network Security Key Mismatch.

I am able to connect to an unsecure network. I am NOT able to connect to Lynksys Access Point with WPA2 - AES as well. Since this exact problem is happening on two systems at the same time it probably is not a hard ware issue.

Any ideas?
Message 1 of 6
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Make sure you are no using special character

Also try hard reset and use new passphrase without special character
Message 2 of 6
cmgauvin
Aspirant

No special characters being used, mix of letters and numbers. 28 other devices/computers can connect normally.

The really odd thing is that I can connect one of the laptops when using an external USB WiFi card.

Could this be something hardware related on the laptops end? I've never heard of anything like this, usually if a WiFi adapter dies it just dies.
Message 3 of 6
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Look for driver/app update from manufacture of wifi adapter you have
Message 4 of 6
cmgauvin
Aspirant

Yup I tried that, installed the newest drivers for both WiFi cards.
Message 5 of 6
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

have you try WPA. WPA+WPA2 options?
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements