× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wifi Extender

LJO
Aspirant
Aspirant

Wifi Extender

I was to buy a wifi extender so the wifi reaches our back bedroom and garden allowing gaming on iPads . It needs to be very simple to install and compatible with a Virgin hub. Please advise which model would be best. Thank you
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Wifi Extender

Many of netgear's extenders would work.

The only thing I'd caution is that many isp routers don't have the wps (automatical pairing) coded the same. So it can cause issues. Netgear has both wps install method and an installation wizard for when wps doesn't work. So you can try the wps and if it isn't working right, just reinstall using the installation wizard. 

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/

Message 2 of 6
LJO
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you - can you recommend a model please?  Argos is selling these models but I'm struggling to see the difference and also to find out if they allow for WPS pairing?

There are two Netgear AC1200 WiFi range extenders at £34.99 and £49.99 respectively.

Also a Netgear AC1900 wall plug mesh WiFi extender at £79.99 and the Orbi Dual-Band whole home mesh WiFi system 2 pack at £129.99

WE just need the signal from the virgin hub to reach the back bedroom and ideally garden in a semi detached house.

Thanks so much

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

I can't tell you which one to get. Everyone situation is different. Home size, materials its made of, and even obstructions within the walls all can change things. And you don't put how much throughput (speed) you need at your locations.

So its tough to say "yes the ac1200 will work 100%".

Best bet? buy the one with the specifications you want from a location/site that has a decent return policy. that way you can try it out and see how well it works. If it doesn't then return it and upgrade to the next model.
Message 4 of 6
LJO
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you - I understand and that's good advice - will these models all pair with WPS?  How do I tell?
thanks 

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

@LJO wrote:

Thank you - I understand and that's good advice - will these models all pair with WPS?  How do I tell?
thanks 

I'd be awesome if all manufacturers coded wps the same. But they don't and its usually the isp supplied devices that cause issues. 

the good thing? Netgear also has the option to install using an installation wizard. Its really simple to use and tends to work when wps doesn't work. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7