× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: wn3000rpv3 boosted a neighbors open wifi

Franztini
Aspirant

wn3000rpv3 boosted a neighbors open wifi

I have successfully setup my extender to my secure wifi network.  When I scan available networks I noticed that the extender is also boosting my neighbors open wifi signal.  How do I stop this from occurring?  Do I uncheck "enable SSID broadcast" in advance settings?  Or do I set up wireless card access list?  I am really frustrated with this extender since I have had to mess with it almost weekly. 

Message 1 of 6
doraemon
Prodigy

you shouldn't be able to boost someone elses wifi unless they know the wireless password used on the router?

Message 2 of 6
Franztini
Aspirant

That is the problem.  My neighbor's wifi is open - no password.  Lets say his wifi SSID is 'oldman'.  If I don't have my extender on, the only wifi network that shows up is 'oldman'.  As soon as I turn on my extender, I get my wifi extended as well as 'oldman_ext'.  Since it is an open wifi anyone can use it and drag down my connectivity, hence why I am asking the question on how to stop this...

Message 3 of 6
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Franztini,

Please consider changing your router's password.

Please also reset your WN3000RP back to factory defaults (page 32 of 43):

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WN3000RPV3/WN3000RPv3_UM_2Sep2014.pdf

and set up your WN3000RP to connect with your router.

On your router settings, you can also change the WiFi channel
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23783/~/improving-2.4ghz-wireless-performance-by-chang...

Message 4 of 6
Franztini
Aspirant

Thanks I did the factory reset which made me find out why I thought I was boosting the neighbors wifi.  This is funny.  With a factory reset, the password is "password".  Well I logged and went through the setup process only to realize that my neighbor not only got a Netgear extender within a day of me...but he left his extender at factory defaults so I was actually logged into his extender.  What are the odds?  Anyway, I got the answer in a very round about way that my extender was not boosting his signal.  Thanks!

Message 5 of 6
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Great! Glad you found a solution 🙂

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements