× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

LB1120 Bridge Mode - No Connectivity

bseright
Aspirant

LB1120 Bridge Mode - No Connectivity

Hello,

Trying out an LB1120 before installing across three locations as failover devices. Using AT&T and testing behind a consumer Linksys E2500 with default settings. The LB1120 works fine using its default settings with router mode and DHCP server. However, I'll need to be using bridge mode for our permanent installations. When I change to bridge mode, I lose all connectivity and cannot reach the LB1120 until I factory reset it. I can see that the Linksys router is getting an AT&T IP address so bridge mode is functioning in some manner.

I'm sure it's something obvious but I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

Message 1 of 136

Accepted Solutions
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: LB1120 Bridge Mode - No Connectivity

A new firmware has been posted on the update servers that fixes the LB bridge mode issue. To update LB1120, LB1121 or LB2120 to latest Firmware log into the LB web ui and go to Settings àGeneral à Software and Reset once there select check for update and wait then simply follow onscreen instructions to update the Firmware. See below for example of how the LB2120 Firmware Info screen looks like after update. For other device just need to make sure that you are using App Version: NTG9X07C_12.09.05.27

View solution in original post

Message 85 of 136

All Replies
VE6CGX
Master

Bridge mode makes the device transparent, it acts like a piece of wire. Is your router DHCP, DNS are enabled?

Message 2 of 136
bseright
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply VE6CGX. Yes, DHCP and DNS enabled. Linksys works fine with standard cable modem.

Netgear support also responded and I'll be trying some of their troubleshooting tomorrow when I have access to my ethernet adapter for my laptop and can bypass the Linksys.

Thanks again.

Message 3 of 136
pwherman73
Guide

Hi bseright - I have the same problem it seems. When connecting in bridge mode to a laptop, it works fine, but when I connect it to any router, I do get an IP but no traffic. Would love to hear from you when you get this resolved with the Netgear folks...

Thanks

Peter

Message 4 of 136
ChristopherDB
Aspirant

This is happening because your WISP is not providing you with your own public IP. You are using a private IP address, which your provider does some NAT to a public address which is shared by others,  which you cannot bridge. You will need to contact your cellular carrier, request a public IP. Verizon charges $500 for this, not sure what AT&T charges.

Message 5 of 136
bseright
Aspirant

Hi Peter,

I just got an RMA from Netgear last night. Once I try out the new one I'll try to remember to update this post. I do intend to eventually get a public static IP but from other reviewers online that shouldn't be a requirement for bridge mode to function - and Netgear support never brought that up.

Message 6 of 136
pwherman73
Guide

Hi bseright and Christopher - Thanks for the feedback. What is interesting that Bridge mode works perfectly when I connect it to a PC (Win7) - I get an external IP and traffic is flowing properly. When I connect in exactly the same config to any router, not traffic flows. I guess my question is, what's the difference?  Theoretically I can configure my PC to be a router... How is it blocking one but not the other? This is using a Cricket sim on the ATT network...

On another topic or FYI - this device does not like a Project Fi sim. No APN configured and it keeps on connecting / disconnecting... 

Message 7 of 136
bseright
Aspirant

Peter, same issue here. Everything works when connected directly to my MacBook Pro. As soon as I introduce a Linksys or Netgear router between the two, it stops working. Using an AT&T business account. Looking at Amazon reviews, though, nobody else has the same issue so it must be a hardware issue (just don't understand how).

Message 8 of 136
fishforfun
Guide

In bridge mode the LB1120 is setting the LAN interface to a /32 subnet, this totally confuses the router, clearly a firmware bug in the Netgear. 

Others are seeing the same thing, check this over at Ubiquiti forums:

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switching/USG-DHCP-WAN-problems/td-p/1833721/highlight/t...

It works in router mode because the LAN interface is set to a subnet that computes, like /24, etc... Frustraring becuse I bought the LB1110 for bridge mode, and it does not work in bridge mode with any of the routers I have tried. 

Message 9 of 136
pwherman73
Guide

Thank you - this is helpful.

Interesting enough, when I brought the LB1120 to another location that has an EdgeRouter X SFP running v1.9.0 it works like a charm - no scripts needed. The Edgerouter Pro I'm running at v1.9.1.1...

Hope to see a firmware update from either Netgear or Ubiquiti on this... 

Message 10 of 136
fishforfun
Guide

I have the LB1120 and tried it on my Edgerouter (in bridge mode) with 1.9.1.1 and it did not work... Crazy, but I will try it again, maybe it is a power sequencing thing, or I forgot to reboot the modem.. I also have an LB1121 (PoE) and plan to test that on my setup.

LB1120 been running a few weeks in router mode, very solid, great speeds, but I need bridge mode to do what I want to do with it.

Hope Netgear reads this forum and takes a look at their firmware.

Message 11 of 136
pwherman73
Guide

Just to be clear, its not working on my edgerouter pro with 1.9.1.1 but it is on my edgerouter X with 1.9.0...
Message 12 of 136
fishforfun
Guide

Thanks!

I will down grade my Edgerouter X and try it if I have time this weekend.

Also, not working with the Ubiquiti Security Gateway, or the Cisco/TP-Link routers I had laying around. Does work fine in bridge mode on my Mac though.

Message 13 of 136
xnolightx
Star

I too am having the same problem setting up the LB1120 in bridge mode. While connecting a laptop everything works perfectly. When connected to my Airport Extreme I get all sorts of issues. My Airport Extreme seems to get an IP, but has absolutely no connectivity to the outside world.

Message 14 of 136
fishforfun
Guide

Following up...

1. Downgraded Edgerouter, did not work in bridge mode.

2. Connect direct to Mac, works fine in bridge mode.

3. Tried every combo of router I own, nothing works when the Netgear LTE is in bridge mode.

Message 15 of 136
OneWhoKnows
Tutor

I'm having the same exact issue with an ERX v1.9.0

Anyone know of a router that will work with this out of the box?  Or an alternative to the LB1120 that is more compatible with devices when in bridge mode?

Message 16 of 136
Rudedog614
Guide

I have this problem as well.

Has anyone from NETGEAR responded to this issue?

To put it succinctly, this seems like a bug in the LTE Modem. In Bridge mode, one would expect the IP address AND netmask handed out by the ISP to be passed to the connected device rather than the often unusable netmask of 255.255.255.255.

It seems like a relatively simple fix to pass along the netmask provided by the ISP DHCP server and it is the right thing to do in Bridge mode.

Can someone from NETGEAR confirm that this issue has been reported to engineering and provide any status update?

Thanks

Message 17 of 136
fishforfun
Guide

I have sent in emails about it, got nothing, there is virtually ZERO support from Netgear.

Pretty sure it is in the turd of a modem design that came when they acquired Sierra's AirCard stuff.

If anyone knows of a good LTE modem design that works in bridge mode please let the group know, I don't care if they cost 2-3x what this NetGear modem cost, as long as it works.

Message 18 of 136
CheesePatrol
Aspirant

I'm in the same boat.  Just set mine up yesterday behind a pfSense firewall.  Works fine as a router, no connectivity in bridge mode.  Had to reset the modem and set DHCP to hand out just 2 addresses and set my router's IP as a DMZ host.

This is pretty basic functionality one would expect to work right out of the box.

Message 19 of 136
GianniFP
Aspirant

Hello,

I'm on the same boat. Have a LB1120 with a Ting GSM card. For some reason it keeps only wanting to connect to t-mobile APN which is the APN that came up once I started it. I tried to add the 'wholesale' apn and it starts connecting and then disconnects. So I stayed with the t-mobile APN which connects and I have data service but when placed in bridge mode, it keeps assigning a 192.168.5.100 address with the gateway at 192.168.5.2. I tried with a netgear FSV336 router and detects internet service on the WAN interface, but doesn't do any routing to the LAN.

Contacted Ting and they found interesting the private IP assigned. They asked me to reset the modem to defaults to see if it would load the default APN from the SIM as Ting claims the APN for 'wholesale' is supposed to be for phones and such, and they don't have APN for hotspots. Not sure what to do if everything fails. 

Just wanted to share my experience and see if there are any new developments. I will certanly try the DMZ option to see if the router likes it.

Message 20 of 136
wilfmedweth
Aspirant

You can try 2 things: 1) make sure browser is restarted before you try to access the modem home page and 2) the modem must be on the same network as the router i.e. if the router is 192.168.1.1 then the LTE modem should be set to 192.168.1.xx (such as 50) if your DHCP server gives out addresses either all below or above 50. Let us know if this fixes your issue.

NOTE: I also have the problem of the modem not working with a Linksys router in Bridge mode; the IP address is set to 10.x.x.x. not the external IP address

Message 21 of 136
Rudedog614
Guide

Wilfmedweth,

Thanks for the suggestion, but it was not helpful in my situation.

I have had no browser issues with accessing the modem, and the LAN side of my router is a 10.10.x.x network. 

As far as I can tell, the real problem in my configuration is that the modem does not pass along the netmask assigned by the wired or wireless ISP.

Good luck with your Linksys issue.

Message 22 of 136
vronp
Guide

Add me to the list of people with this problem.  I'm surprised there has been nothing from Netgear posted in this thread.

Message 23 of 136
fishforfun
Guide

I was able to get Ubiquiti USG with latest dev firmware to work in bridge mode.

I am not surprised that there has been no response from Netgear. Their stuff barely works when it ships, then if you are lucky, they put out of an updated firmware.. More likely they go on to their next product.

I saw the LTE modem and decided to get one, at the time I thought "yea, but it's Netgear", sure enough I regret buying the thing.

Message 24 of 136
Rudedog614
Guide

Hi Fish,

What version of the USG firmware are you running?

Did you have to run any scripts to automate changing the netmask?

And I understand your concerns about NETGEAR, but I haven't found a different product that does what the LB LTE Modems *are supposed to* do at anywhere close to their price point. Do you recommend an alternative?

Thanks!

Message 25 of 136
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7