× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

LB1120 Bridge Mode - No Connectivity

wilfmedweth
Aspirant

Re: LB1120 Bridge Mode - No Connectivity - Firmware fix

Spoke to Aircard Support at Ntgear (800-810-1987) and was told (aftere consultation with Engineering) that new firmware should be available in 2 to 3 weeks.

So hopefully by the end of August we should be able to use Bridge mode !!

Message 51 of 136
wilfmedweth
Aspirant

Re: LB1120 Bridge Mode - Firmware upgrade to fix Bridge Mode

Deleted - duplicate

Message 52 of 136
jlamoree
Aspirant

Re: LB1120 Bridge Mode - No Connectivity

I also purchased the NETGEAR LB1120. I've had the same experience as everyone else: when using a laptop, DHCP in bridge mode works fine; when I connect the device to my pfSense router, it does not function. As many have suggested, it appears that the problem is with the DHCP passthrough such that the interface in pfSense gets a netmask of 255.255.255.255. The other values appear fine.

I struggled a bit trying to get pfSense to override the DHCP configuration and use 255.255.255.0 instead. There might be a way to do this, but I didn't find it. So, I changed the interface configuration to static IPv4 and created a standalone gateway object. I pasted the issued IP and gateway values, and it started working properly. I was able to switch from my existing WAN's gateway as default to the one using the LB1120. I got transfer speeds that are acceptable for a failover solution.

So, it seems that we're all waiting on a fix from NETGEAR for the DHCP bug. For what it's worth, mine shipped with firmware version M18Q2_v12.09.163431.

Here are some details that are unrelated to the problem that might be interesting nevertheless. I'm using a SIM provided by Ting and it uses the T-Mobile carrier in my area. On first powering up the LB1120, it did a scan of the mobile networks and (I assume) created a default APN for the T-Mobile network that it discovered as compatible. I had to delete that and create a new APN for Ting using the string "wholesale" as specified in Ting's documentation for non-phone devices. Until I deleted the automatically created (again, my assumption) APN, the LB1120 would get confused about which one to use. It seems to work fine now from a cold start every time.

Something else worth mentioning (in case somebody else has the expectation I did) is that on the T-Mobile network my LB1120 is assigned something like 21.228.0.149. That is not in an allocation of IPv4 given to T-Mobile, and it's not accessible from the public internet. I had hoped that my WAN failover solution using a 4G LTE modem would allow me to connect to my office network during a primary WAN failure using a VPN client. It doesn't look like that's an option. Inside T-Mobile's network, my traffic emerges onto the public internet using an address from 172.32.0.0/11 (which they are the allocation recipient). I assume they're doing big iron NATing for all their wireless customers.

Lastly, another tip. When troubleshooting what was going wrong, I found it helpful to put a dumb Ethernet hub between my pfSense router and the LB1120. Using that, I could tap into the frames with another host and see what was going on. Using an Ethernet switch with the port mirroring feature would also have worked, but I didn't have one on hand. When sniffing, it was apparent that packets weren't ever actually leaving the pfSense box.
Message 53 of 136
PathFinderr
Aspirant

I'm having this same issue with LB1111 (European PoE version) I picked up today and Edgerouter Pro. Any news on the firmware update?

Message 54 of 136
wilfmedweth
Aspirant

Re: LB1120 Bridge Mode - Firmware fix

Still no news on availability
Message 55 of 136
Coolcmsc
Aspirant

Hi, just to say I'm having the exact same issue with a LB1110-100EUS 4G LTE (EU version) in bridge mode to the Unifi Security Gateway Router.
Looking forward to the firmware upgrade.......
Will post any solutions / info found here. Thanks for all the effort!
Message 56 of 136
Coolcmsc
Aspirant

Hi! Solved for me using a post earlier in this thread.

My setup is the LB1110 (european version) and the Unifi Security Gateway 3P (USG) and I too was unable to get connection in Bridge Mode.

This is what I did:-

1. Updated the UniFi Gateway to the very latest release, currently VS 4.3.49.5001150

2. Reset the NetGear LB1110 to its Default Settings

3. Connected the LB1110 (switched off) to the UniFI (switched on and connected to my LAN)

4. Switched on the LB1110

5. I now had the hoped for LTE/4G connection served to and from my LAN

6. Whoopee!

7. I then logged into the LB1110 and switched over to Bridge Mode without switching anything of or disconnecting anything (remember I had reset the NetGear to Default Settings)

7. Still working fine!

8. Phew!

9. I run my system 24/7/365 including a UPS and have not dared switching the whole lot off to see if it all starts up again OK, but it should do.

Hope this is of some use until the NetGear FirmWare update arrives.

Message 57 of 136
Bucanero
Aspirant

Count me in for the bridge bug.

I just got this 2 days ago, have 25 more to return it.

Has somebody else get the new firmware ?

What alternatives are on the markjet to replace this ?

Thanks to all.Screen Shot 2017-09-17 at 7.11.40 PM.png

Message 58 of 136
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I have had a ticket open for over a month.  There have been at least a dozen back-and-forth exchanges. They DO reconizes the problem. They claim to have a fix through firmware. For the past two weeks they have been asking me to check for an update through the device but no updates are found. I suspect there is fix via firmware out there but netgear support is probably not communicating very well within its own ranks  which is causing unneeded delays. 

Message 59 of 136
GaryEinstein
Tutor

I believe they are in a testing phase of a fix and would hope to see a release fairly soon.
Message 60 of 136
Coolcmsc
Aspirant

@Bucanero 

You'll have seen my solution just above yours on this third page - have you tried this method.....  E X A C T L Y   ?

Concerning alternatives, there are several, mainly from the marine environment (for yatchts and so forth).  Simple internet search will flush them out.  The trouble is they are really expensive compared to this product, here in the UK, they start at x3 the cost and rapidly go up above £700GBP.  This is because they are designed for a scalable business market and thus have lots of extra capability. I just don't need that capability despite having a decent home network (big home NAS, 4 access points on a UniFi mesh, an internet connected house alarm, multiroom HiFi, home automation (Nest etc), a modest CCTV system with 8 cameras).

Lastly, if you can postpone your purchase (I could not.....), then at the higher prices of other LTE modems, give serious consideration to the 1Gig enhanced LTE standard.  There are already a few devices with the new standard and it would get your system ready for next year (or today if you live in Australia).

PS: On the latter point, Samsung's S8 mobile, but not Apple's iPhone X, already have this 1 Gig standard built in to them....

PPS: No apologies for going on and on..... NetGear are giving us loads of time to waste whilst they scale the mighty task of changing one line of code in the firmware........

Message 61 of 136
RonOnThePond
Aspirant

Similar situation for me, so at least now I don't feel so alone. Today I received a Netgear LB2120 from Amazon. I live in rural SC, have crappy DSL (<4Mb, losing sync frequently), but reasonable 4G LTE (AT&T). So the plan was to use the Netgear to give me DSL when it can, and switch to my limited bandwidth 4G as failsafe. I've spent the day trying to get this working 100%. I am ready to settle for 75%.

I am good at IT, but (regretably) networking remains my main area of ignorance, so for me it's a lot of trial and error (and patience). My naive plan was to connect my old Motorola Netopia 2210-02 DSL modem in bridge mode to my new Netgear LB2120 in bridge mode, and connect that to my Ubiquiti EdgeRouter PoE (firmware 1.80) to handle NAT, DHCP, some local static IPs, and provide WiFi via my two Unifi access points. I wasted half the day trying to get the router to see the LB2120 in bridge mode, came across a post by someone who had it in router mode (which didn't seem right to me), tried that and BAM, the router sees the LB2120. So that sort of works, but not how I thought it should.

What does not work is my DSL with the Netgear. The LB2120 sees the connection, but won't use DSL even though the DSL modem status looks fine. So basically I have an LTE modem working with my EdgeRouter and Unifi access points, but no DSL. For me, the speed of my LTE connection is amazing compared to my substandard unreliable but unlimited DSL, but then there's the LTE bandwidth limitation and threat of throttling. I have a 25Gb shared plan right now (AT&T). I'll probably switch to unlimited, which will most of what I read and hear CAN but rarely throttles after 22Gb unless there's major congestion or TOS abuse (bit torrent, hosting, etc).. 

The real solution for me would be AT&T's fixed wireless plan, but it's not yet available to me, despite begging more than once.

I doubt this adds much to the conversation, but just so you know ... no connectivity in bridge mode also occurs with the LB2120 modem.

Thanks to everyone here. It's the little tidbits of information that often make all the difference to me.

Ron

Message 62 of 136
pwherman73
Guide

Ron,

I have the same setup - crappy DSL, full bars ATT LTE (I use cricket $55/month, no capping yet) and an edgerouter.

Both the DSL modem (or routing in bridge modem) and the LB1120 are connected as a individual WAN connections to the edgerouter directly, in a loadbalancing set up (you can reset your edgerouter to factory and start off with a loadbalancing or failover config template and go from there).

The loadbalancing is nice, especially for uploads (DSL upload speed is non-existent), but you could set it up for failover with the DSL as primary as well...

The latest version of edgeMax on my er-X seems to handle the netmask issue... 

Message 63 of 136
RonOnThePond
Aspirant

pwherman73, thanks for the suggestion. I considered setting up the edgerouter for load balancing my DSL with LTE, but went with the LB2120 modem to avoid that for a few reasons. First, I am not network savvy and feared (even with the template/wizard) falling into the rabbit hole of router configuration for load balancing setup. Second, I hoped the LB2120 would make this the failover setup a no-brainer for a non-network expert like me, and that would have been great. Third, I would lose my last open eth port on the router, Currently, eth0 is from the Netgear LB2120, eth1 is  from my desktop pc, and eth3 and eth4 are to unifi ap-lrs. My plan (if ever I could get a stable, usable internet connection) was to use the empty eth2 to begin a ubiquiti mesh network to cover my outdoor area - porch, dock, etc. 

As of today (LB2120 day #2), I'm leaning toward ditching DSL altogether because the LTE is working so well on its own. It's just the fear of throttling at 22Gb that stops me. In a pinch, I'd still have 10Gb more bandwidth for tethering from each of our two phones. 

For now, I'd just like to see the LB2120 use my DSL as it should, rather than showing a connection, yet reporting "wireline unavailable" even though the modem status lights are okay. Maybe my DSL modem should not be in bridge mode? I haven't tried that yet, but what ultimately works sometimes makes no sense to me, so I guess it'll be worth a try. 

In the meantime, I am LOVING the speed of LTE throughout my house, especially (as you pointed out) a respectable upload speed. I've learned to live with 4mbps down, and 0.4 up, so having 10-15mbps up/down is (to me) awesome. Darn that data cap.

By the way, the Cricket plan (I checked their site) sounds the same as the AT&T plan. Both unlimited plans say "After 22 GB of data usage ...may slow speeds." But you seem to also indicate that in reality, they don't enforce the cap. Still makes me nervous to contemplate ditching dsl entirely.

Ron

Message 64 of 136
RonOnThePond
Aspirant

pwherman73, I now have the LB2120 working with DSL as primary, LTE as failover. Both the LB2120 and the old DSL modem need to be in router mode, not bridged. Now my problem is that I hate the DSL speeds (see prior post) and I may pursue the load balanced approach to get better overall performance without hitting the throttling threshold for LTE. Should I anticipate anything tricky about setting up edgerouter for load balancing, beyond the template/wizard? I may give it a go this weekend. Thanks again (to all) for the help here. 

Message 65 of 136
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Has there been any updates to this?  Any word on when the firmware update is coming out?

Message 66 of 136
rat1969
Aspirant

Hope I'm at the right place for a answer, I have the LB1120 on AT&T network with x10 router. Only problem I am having or think I am having is a Velocity hotspot will get 50mbps and the LB1120 will get 25mbps. I have tried it connected through the router as well as directly to pc. Any ideas on why speeds are so different and yes I'm using same simcard in both same location and signal strength. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Message 67 of 136
Retired_Member
Not applicable

It appears Netgear isn't willing mention when a firmware update is coming out, so I'll be returning it and buying something else.  Bridge mode is the whole reason I bought this unit.

This is [redacted] and I am answering on behalf of the previous Expert.

We do not know if a firmware is going to be released for this unit since only our engineering department knows that information. It will be automatically pushed to your unit.

Regards,

[redacted]

Message 68 of 136
OneWhoKnows
Tutor

This is extremely disappointing.  My next purchases will not be Netgear related.

There's no firmware update for my Nighthawk R8000 either (security related).  Every other bit of network gear that I have, even hardware that's older has been patched.

Message 69 of 136
vronp
Guide

It is ridiculous it is 6 months into it and this problem has not been resolved.  It's been a while since I wrote software but I'm pretty sure this fix requires a change to a single line of code.

Shame on you Netgear.

Message 70 of 136
akjw
Aspirant

same boat - drops connection in bridge mode

really incredible that netgear won't correct this problem 

Message 71 of 136
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I just want to point out the support expert didn't say "We do not know when [...]", they said "We do not know if [...]".

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Message 72 of 136
Retired_Member
Not applicable

After being in contact with support for over a month with nearly 20 back and forth exchanges they sent me a message this morning telling me they have no fix.

This was after numerous contacts telling me they duplicated the problem and had a firmware fix for it. Over the next three weeks several more contacts were made inquiring on when the fix was going available. They told me to update the firmware and the new version would be installed. When that didn't happen its like support returned to the top of the diagnostic menu tree repeating everything over again.

As of now it has been a total waste of time and they appear to be washing their hands of the situation. I will keep my ticket open as long as I can but I suspect they are done with support.

Message 73 of 136
ErnestTheGreat
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Netgear has had the beta FW to fix the LB bridge issues for sometime now so official FW to fix the problem should be availble sometime in the near future. For those of you having issues with LB bridge mode where your router is not able to work with subnet mask 255.255.255.255 that LB uses in bridge mode you need to reach out to @DarrenM and  provide him with your contact info and your LB model SN and IMEI and Netgear can push the beta fw with fix to your device.  

For those of you who have reached out to Netgear and got the beta FW to fix the issue you need to make sure you see the following version numbers:

Firmware Version: M18Q2_v12.09.163431
Firmware Build Date: Unknown

App Version: NTG9X07C_12.09.05.26

Web App Version: LBHDATA_03.03.103.165

Bootloader Version: Bootloader Ver: v1.0.0

Hardware Version: 08

If your device has the same version then you are on the beta FW already and if the problem still persist I would reachout to you router vendors and get the latest FW verison for your router. Most new routers should not have an issue with a connection such as one provided with LB in bridge mode where subnet mask is 255.255.255.255. The reason LB utilzes this subnetmask in bridge mode is becuse a network with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.255 puts each device inside its own subnet, forcing them to communicate with the router before communicating with any other device.

As always if any other issue occur partining to bridge mode after beta FW is applied your best bet is to reach out to the Netgear support team and work with them to get to the bottom of the problem.

Message 74 of 136
GaryEinstein
Tutor

Hi Ernest,

Although a /32 (hostroute) mask is valid, I find many if not most modern routers and firewalls do not properly support it. Given that, it is best to avoid using it and saving everyone a lot of grief.

I think part of the problem and that the general rule we use is that the default gateway needs to be on the same subnet as the interface. Using a /32 breaks that logical rule.

I have been using the beta firmware for a while and it has been working fine with both SonicWALL and Cisco firewalls.

Message 75 of 136
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7