Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FVS318N firmware 4.3.3-6 not allowing more than 8 wireless connections

blackbox
Aspirant

FVS318N firmware 4.3.3-6 not allowing more than 8 wireless connections

Back in 2015 users reported that no more than 8 devices could connect on FVS318N. You can find the old discussion here https://community.netgear.com/t5/Business-Wireless/FVS318N-firmware-4-3-3-5-not-allowing-more-than-8...

Did you solve this problem with a firmware upgrade or something else? We have Firmware version 4.3.3-6 and I see now that the firmware is on 4.3.5-3.

On the previous discussions the moderators recommended to factory reset the rebuild the router from scratch.

Since we are a company I really do not want to configure the router again please let us know if this problem was fixed on a later firmware upgrade.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
blackbox
Aspirant

Re: FVS318N firmware 4.3.3-6 not allowing more than 8 wireless connections

At the end pressing the reset button for so much time factory reset everything and even the firmware upgarde worked after that.

Instead of doing all the configurations all again I gave it a go and restore my configurations and I now have 11 devices connected which seems the problem is now resolved.

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 13

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi blackbox,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

The issue about no more than 8 devices could connect on the FVS318N using firmware v4.3.3-5 way back year 2015 was already fixed by upgrading the firmware to a later version.  With regard to your concern, I advise you to upgrade the firmware of your FVS318N to the latest firmware version 4.3.5-3.  You can download firmware v4.3.5-3 here.  

Be reminded to perform a factory reset on the FVS318N after upgrading the firmware then reconfigure it from scratch in order to start clean using the latest firmware version.  

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 13
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@blackbox,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Were you able to upgrade the firmware of your FVS318N to the latest firmware v4.3.5-3 then performed a factory reset and reconfigured it from scratch?  If yes, what is the result?

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 13
blackbox
Aspirant

The problem is not updating the firmware but the scratch part. We are a company and we have our port forwards Mac addresses static ips. This will cause a lot of time until we set everything back...
Message 4 of 13
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@blackbox,

It seems that you were having a problem on upgrading the firmware of your FVS318N. Please do try upgrading the firmware through tftp. Please refer to this post on how to upgrade thru telnet.

Regards,

Message 5 of 13
blackbox
Aspirant

No, like I said the problem is because you are asking us to factory reset the router and set it again from scratch. Doing that it means we wont have internet for hours which is a big problem for us. If I could fix the problem with just the firmware upgrade then we could spare a few mins of downtime...

Message 6 of 13
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@blackbox,

My apologies. You may try upgrading the firmware and if still doesn't work properly then you may need to reset it to factory default then reconfigure the firewall. Please keep us posted.

Regards,

Message 7 of 13
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@blackbox,

Just following up on this.  Any updates?

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 13
blackbox
Aspirant

@DaneA

I tried today to upgrade the firmware without factory resetting the firewall but unfortunately there is a problem with that functionality.

I tried with both Firefox and Chrome to upgrade the firmware. I power cycle the unit as instructed and when I go to Administration -> Settings Backup & Upgrade -> Router Upgrade I select the IMG file I click upgrade I see the status bar at the top but immediately after that the browser refresh the page with the message "Connection was Reset" same thing happen on both Firefox and Chrome...

Message 9 of 13
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@blackbox,

Are you using a PC/laptop that is directly connected to the FVS318N when you tried to upgrade the firmware to v4.3.5-3?  Have you tried to clear the cache of the browser(s) you are using then try again to upgrade the firmware?  

If your answer is "yes" on both questions above and still same problem, kindly try to upgrade the firmware using TFTP.  Refer to the article below as reference guide:

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using TFTP

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 10 of 13
blackbox
Aspirant

@DaneArouter is now directly connected to the PC, I cleared browser's cache and still did not not work. I am going to try the TFTP way. If that does not work either I will have to factory reset the unit and give it a go hopefully all this at the end wont brick the device.

Message 11 of 13
blackbox
Aspirant

At the end pressing the reset button for so much time factory reset everything and even the firmware upgarde worked after that.

Instead of doing all the configurations all again I gave it a go and restore my configurations and I now have 11 devices connected which seems the problem is now resolved.

Message 12 of 13
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@blackbox,

Thanks for the update.  I'm glad to know that you were able to update the firmware of your FVS318N to the latest version. 🙂 

Since your concern has been resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements