Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FVS336G trouble with VPN client software

Terri-N
Aspirant

FVS336G trouble with VPN client software

I had to reload all software on my laptop (thanks Windows 10) and I did not keep good notes on how my VPN client software was set up. I have tried to figure it out with no luck. Before I pay for a service contract, I'm hoping someone here can help! Here are the fields in the client software:

Ikev1Gateway(1) Authentication tab

Interface: any

Remote gateway - I'm using the IPv4 address under WAN information on the router's Main page:  Router Status

Preshared key: confirmed and entered

I took the encryption settings from VPN page of router – 3DES, SHA-1, DH2 (1024)

Ikev1Tunnel - IPsec tab

VPN Client address 0.0.0.0

Address type – subnet address

Remote host address – address of remote VPN router

Subnet mask 255.255.255.0 (matches info on router)

ESP – 3DES, SHA-1, mode is Tunnel

PFS is checked and group is DH2

I didn't go to any advanced tabs. When I try to open the tunnel, it is stuck on "Send Phase 1 SA"

Any advice on what I missed and/or where in the router to look to find it? Thanks in advance.

Model: FVS336Gv2|PROSAFE DUAL WAN GIGABIT FIREWALL WITH SSL & IPSEC VPN,VPNG01L|ProSafe VPN Client Professional (1-user)
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: FVS336G trouble with VPN client software

Hi Terri-N,

Welcome to the community! 🙂

Let me share this article below as reference guide if ever you have not yet came across with it.  Just kindly follow the procedure.  

ProSAFE VPN Client: Client to Box Configuration

Hope it helps! 🙂 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Terri-N,

Welcome to the community! 🙂

Let me share this article below as reference guide if ever you have not yet came across with it.  Just kindly follow the procedure.  

ProSAFE VPN Client: Client to Box Configuration

Hope it helps! 🙂 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 6
Terri-N
Aspirant

Thank you! I was just missing the local and remote IDs. I knew it would be quick and easy. The link you shared was perfect. I really appreciate it!!

Message 3 of 6
Terri-N
Aspirant

Well...I'm still have a problem after all.

I use an IP softphone that connects to the home office through my VPN tunnel. The phone registers with the home office, but I do not have audio in either direction. I can't hear callers, and they can't hear me. Any idea what might be causing this? Does the client have any setting that would block audio?

The softphone has almost no settings. I know the headset is good. I disabled my firewall and virus protection but the problem persists. We had this problem when we first installed the firewall, unfortunately I do not know how it was resolved (a Netgear engineer fixed it). 

Message 4 of 6
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Terri-N, 

What you are talking about here is VoIP over VPN, I don't believe it is currently supported by our VPN software. VPN has its own protocol when it comes to connecting to the tunnel and VoIP also has its own protocols like SIP,etc. and to let it pass through VPN is an additional feature. If you want this feature on future updates, please post a request on our Idea Exchange Board

Let us know if you have more questions. 

Thanks, 

Message 5 of 6
Terri-N
Aspirant

Incorrect. I have had a VoIP phone through this VPN tunnel for 4 years.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements