Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Port Configuration

dunk2710
Aspirant

Port Configuration

Hi Guys.

I've recently took over an IT job and I'm a little bit confused as how our firewall router is setup.
Capture.JPG

It shows each port as as the same IP, but on the VLANs page it shows Port 2 as the Guest VLAN with an ID of 88 and a differnet IP:
Capture2.JPG

These two ports have cables that connect to ports 1 and 2 on another switch.

I dont understand why it would show the network as 192.168.0.1 on port 2?

Model: SRX5308|PROSAFE Gigabit Quad WAN SSL & IPSEC VPN Firewall
Message 1 of 8
Dan_Z
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Port Configuration

Hi dunk2710,
Welcome to the community!

Port2 show the network as 192.168.0.1,because the default vlan of port2 is vlan1.
Please go to "Network Configuration->LAN Settings->LAN Setup",check the Default vlan.
Change default vlan to Guest for port2.

Thanks

Dan

Message 2 of 8
dunk2710
Aspirant

Hi Dan!

thanks for your answer.
From what you're saying, this would mean that the IPv4 address (192.168.0.1) has no bearing on Port 2 since the VLAN has a completely different IP (11.1.1.1)? I can see on the Network Config > Lan settings > LAN setup page that all ports have their default VLAN set to "DEfault":
Capture.JPG

If I were to tidy this up and change port 2 to the proper VLAN name would this affect network connectivity?

Message 3 of 8
Dan_Z
NETGEAR Expert

Hi dunk2710,
If you want to use Guest vlan 88 for port2,need to edit port2 default vlan to Guest.
Now,the port2 is belong to vlan 1.
After change it,the port2 will belong to vlan88 with the ip address 11.1.1.1.

Thanks.

Message 4 of 8
dunk2710
Aspirant

Dan:
That's my point, Port2 already uses VLAN 88 as our Guest WiFi goes out via this port and I can confirm that this network (vlan 88 - 11.1.1.1) is functioning.

Message 5 of 8
Dan_Z
NETGEAR Expert

Hi dunk2710,
You are right,vlan 88 can work as non-default vlan for port2.
There is 2 vlans (vlan1 and vlan88) for port2 on your device,vlan1 is default vlan,vlan88 is non-default vlan.
The default vlan ip address display on page "Monitoring->Router Status->Router Status:LAN (vlan) IPv4 Information".
All vlan status diplay on page "Monitoring->Router Status->Vlan status".
So,you can see the default vlan ip address 192.168.1.1 on page "Monitoring->Router Status->Router Status:LAN (vlan) IPv4 Information",
not 11.1.1.1.

Thanks,

Dan

Message 6 of 8
dunk2710
Aspirant

Hi Dan.

Thanks for your response.

So if i wanted to setup another VLAN, say VLAN 50 with a network address of 192.168.50.1, i could just copy the same settings as VLAN 88 but apply them to port 3 of the router instead? and leave the default VLAN ID as 1? and this will work?

Message 7 of 8
Dan_Z
NETGEAR Expert

Hi dunk2710,
Suggest you edit default vlan to vlan 50 for port3.

Thanks,

Dan

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements