Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Use of FVS366G Router and Comcast provided Device

ashbrn51
Tutor

Use of FVS366G Router and Comcast provided Device

I recently upgraded my Comcast Cable Modem/Voice Modem to a new single device SMCD3GNV All-in-One device (Cable Modem/Voice Modem/Router/Wireless Access). I would like to continue to use my Netgear FSV366G Router and some of the key functions such as VPN etc. Is there a way for this to be configured.

Ideally, I would like to just use the Comcast device for Cable/Voice Modem and use my Router for everything else. I have a WAP for wireless on my network.
Message 1 of 8
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Home-Networking-Router-WiFi/Turning-off-all-router-settings-on-a-SMCD3G...

You need SMC to be in bridge mode. Call comcast suport.

If you can not put public IP on FVS you will not able to use VPN.

You may need them to put additional basic cable modem if you can not put current smc in bridge mode
Message 2 of 8
adit
Mentor

Do you have static IP's?
Message 3 of 8
ashbrn51
Tutor

I configured my Comcast Router into a Bridge mode and my Internet access is working. However, when I log into the FVS336G I do not see any public IP address under the Router Status tab. I am using DynDNS but cannot find my router from the external internet. Does this prevent me from setting up a Personal Cloud with my iomega NAS Storage as well as other remote access solutions?

Why does the bridge not pass through the external IP address to the FVS336G? Do you have any recommendations?
Message 4 of 8
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Consult Comcast with your setting on modem side
Message 5 of 8
fordem
Mentor

ashbrn5 wrote:
However, when I log into the FVS336G I do not see any public IP address under the Router Status tab.

Why does the bridge not pass through the external IP address to the FVS336G? Do you have any recommendations?

You say you do not see a public ip address, however you have not told us what you are seeing - if it's a private address then the Comcast modem/router is not in bridge mode.
Message 6 of 8
ashbrn51
Tutor

After some reinvestigation it looks like my Comcast Modem/Router was not in Bridge mode. It has an external IP address and is set to DHCP which I assume my Netgear router receives an IP address and then through the Netgear DHCP distributes IP addresses to my local devices.

One question, when I finally set the Comcast Modem to act as a Bridge, I expect it to pass thru the external IP address to the Netgear router. I plan to use dyndns to manage the IP address such that I can log in to my Netgear router from the outside. I also want to setup port forwarding for my iOmega NAS Cloud device. Is that correct?

Thanks for the help,
Message 7 of 8
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Yes... ONLY when comcast unit is in bridge mode it will released the dynamic IP of the comcast IP to the FVS. Till then you will not going to abel to use you dynamic dns to remotely conned to your NAS.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements