× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GC110p block traffic between my repeaters

William_Chan
Aspirant

GC110p block traffic between my repeaters

Hi Team,

I am using a GC110p switch and put it between two KPN wireless repeaters with Ethernet cable (which is supported by KPN's guide), but actually those repeaters could not work as a group, they couldn't find each other on their GUI. They arr totally working well when I remove the switch. Same problem when I use GC110 and GC510p instead of GC110p.

I am also trying to find the cause with caputuring traffic with wireshark.

1. KPN repeaters communicate with each other via traffic with protocol 0xfe68 which is an unknown protocol. I use a tool on my laptop which is put with a hub between one of the repeaters and switch, to capute the 0xfe68 protocol packet and change their protocol type to 0x0806 (ARP). But it is not working and they are also blocked by the switch.

2. The destination address used for communicating between KPN repeaters is a multicast address (01:80:C2:FE:03:FE) and it is marked as spanning tree traffic by wireshark. But obviously it is not spanning tree.

Then now I have no any idea about how to investigate more for this problem. It troubles me a lot because the switch is already working at my top floor for all my devices (repeaters, computer, TV...), otherwise I have to design my home network again and it would be a huge effort.

Please help look into this problem and a trace is attached then maybe you guys know how to deal with it. 

Model: GC110P|8-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE App Managed Smart Cloud Switch w/2 SFP Fiber Ports
Message 1 of 5
William_Chan
Aspirant

Re: GC110p block traffic between my repeaters

Yep, I have done all these actions but still fail. 

Suppose it may be caused by blocking rule of the switch?

Message 2 of 5
schumaku
Guru

The 01:80:C2:EF:03:FE is neiter a reserved nor a freely available  Standard group MAC Multicast address.  01:80:C2:00:03:00 -- 01:80:C2:FF:FF:FF can't be used for anything,  Smart Switches will filter these regardless.

What might work on a direct link or a dumb switch (this is probably what your ISP does refer about) because the designer of these devices has implemented as a smart-a** STP alternate solution for what the industry has forseen STANDARDS for .... to avoid hassles with random devices consumers might have in place, instead of doing things the correct way. It's a problem each designer of these fancy Wireless Mesh Systems has to resolve...

This is one of may reasons why I suggest to avoid the deployment of such systems on more complex environments.

Replace this KPN consumer junk by real wireless access points.

Regards,

-Kurt

Message 3 of 5
William_Chan
Aspirant

Thanks,  schumaku.

That sounds a correct reason. Could you please share a web link for describing the multicast MAC address group? 

I would like to study this part but on wiki about multicast address it just mentions 01-80-C2-00-00-00 to 01-80-C2-00-00-0F are not forwarded by 802.1D-conformant MAC bridges.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multicast_address

Message 4 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements