× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS748T v$ bricked?

tClancey
Tutor

GS748T v$ bricked?

Message 1 of 4
tClancey
Tutor

Re: GS748T v$ bricked?

That's interesting, I don't know how that posted wihout all the fields filled.  And the GS748 switched have disappeared from the model list.

Anyway.  Yesterday I recevied a couple of GS748T v4s from Ebay, Both had problems updating the firmware, one of them (with repeated resets and power offs) sprung to life, the other which I have sat infront of me refuses to play nicely.

From what I've read in the forums I think this has turned into an expensive ornament, but I thought I'd ask just in case.

When turning the switch on the fans go into their startup cycle, but don't come out of it so they're flying away at full speed.  All nic lights are lit in orange, the fps ports 49/50 are lit in green.

SCC sees the switch and I can select it and do the limited things the SCC can do, but the switch will not accept any changes.  It's not picking up an ip address from the internal dhcp server or retrieving the correct gateway.  I can see in the tasks the file transfer timeout and TLV error rpoduced when I was trying to update the firmware.  Reboot in SCC does nothng, connecting to the web interface from SSC does nothing, and I cannot http or ping the thing.

Pressing the reset switch turns off the power led, the two other fps ports light up, the amber nic lights stay on. WHen letting go of the button the ligths revert to what they were.

Holding the factory button has absolutely no effect, 30 senconds, power off while holdiong the switch etc.  WHen you turn it back on it's exactly the same.

I've had two 724s that have done exactly the same thing, are these switches a little fragile?  I thought the whole point of the double firmware setup was this wouldn't happen anymore.  Anyway, it has.

So, if there anything I can try now?  I have to top off as I was going to replace the fans which have becone extremely noisy.  I'm not scared of poking around.

If there are any suggestions, please let me know.

Many thanks.

Message 2 of 4
tClancey
Tutor

Sorry I should have added the mac address isn't being read when it starts up, SCC reports all the '00's.

I've been lookikng around on the board, and I'm quite surprised there isn't a master reset jumper, the same as you get on most pc's.  There are a few headers dotted around but no markings to suggest what they're for.

Is there anything I can short to force a blank of the flash?

Message 3 of 4
tClancey
Tutor

Well, I've only just managed to get thing working!

I've been messing around with this thing for about 4 hours.  The fix?  Repeatedly tryiong to send it firmware, factory reset, send again, reset again, repeat.

So I'm very glad it's up and running and the replacement I ordered about an hour ago will be a spare!  But I am left thinking updating firmware is still more delicate than it should be.

Historically I've always used Netgear equipment.  Two reasons, reasonably priced and they don't often stop working.  However I can honestly say I've had day long fights trying to get routers, switches and ap's working again after updates have gone wrong.

This area really needs an overhall.

That's just my two penneth.

But, if anyone else stumbles upton this thread with the same kind of problem, just keep going at it and keep your fingers crossed!!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements