× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

JGS516PE during hot days

Drekko
Aspirant

JGS516PE during hot days

Hey guys

Im wanting to buy a POE switch. I want to store it in a mounted switch cabinet in my garage. As I dont have much spare space inside

The problem though is the garage gets pretty hot in summer hot days. If the garage hits about 45 degrees how do you think the switch will cope if it is in a switch cabinet with some exhaust fans?

Model: FSM726S|24-Port 10/100 Managed Switch w/2 Stacking and 10/100/1000
Message 1 of 9
XavierLL
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: JGS516PE during hot days

Hi Drekko,

Welcome to our community!

The JGS516PE has been designed to operate at a maximum of 50C degrees celsius, see below the datasheet:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/datasheet/en/ProSAFE_Web_Managed_Switches_DS.pdf

Considering your environment adding exhaust fans to your cabinet definetly will help, moreover please consider improving your air flow in your garage to stay below the 50C.

Hope it Helps!

Xavier Lleixa

NETGEAR CBU PLM

Message 2 of 9
Drekko
Aspirant

Thanks very much

for some reason I thought it was 0 to 40 degrees C?

I definently read that somewhere..

What happens if the room is 55 degress? 🙂

Message 3 of 9
Drekko
Aspirant

Sorry one more question does this have 1 internal fan ? Where does the fan exahust the hot air out because I cannot see any ventilation on the unit?

Message 4 of 9
XavierLL
NETGEAR Employee Retired

HI Drekko,

Yes it has an internal Fan and ventilation air holes on the side, see pictures below :

fan_1.png

fan_2.png

Xavier Lleixa

NETGEAR CBU PLM

Message 5 of 9
XavierLL
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Drekko,

I double checked in our internal specs and I can confirm that 0-50C if you remember where you saw 0-40 please let us know and we will modify it 🙂

Xavier Lleixa

NETGEAR CBU PLM

Message 6 of 9
XavierLL
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Drekko,

Sorry I forgot to comment on the 55C? If the temperature goes above the 50C degrees that's the maximum operating temperature the switch will not be able to cool down and the temperature will go up. What will happen is that some of the components will reach their maximum temperature and they will stop working and they will not work again.

Xavier Lleixa

NETGEAR CBU PLM

Xavier Lleixa

NETGEAR CBU PLM

Message 7 of 9
Drekko
Aspirant

@XavierLL wrote:

Hi Drekko,

Sorry I forgot to comment on the 55C? If the temperature goes above the 50C degrees that's the maximum operating temperature the switch will not be able to cool down and the temperature will go up. What will happen is that some of the components will reach their maximum temperature and they will stop working and they will not work again.

Xavier Lleixa

NETGEAR CBU PLM

Xavier Lleixa

NETGEAR CBU PLM

Thank you very much, very helpful. Yes if I do see that it rated to 40 deg I will post it here

So if my garage got to 55 deg and switch stopped working, would it just shutdown or actually break and not work again at all

Message 8 of 9
ElaineP
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Drekko

If the switch has the high temperature, sometimes some features will cannot work normally, e.g. switch transmit traffic wrongly. Sometimes physical  damage, physical port will not link up. High Temperature will impact the performance /reliability of switch, maybe reboot continuously and lost data, unrecoverable.

So please try every means to reduce the temperature, keep the appropriate environment.

Regards,

NETGEAR Employee

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements