Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

M4250 - Black Magic

abshapi
Aspirant

M4250 - Black Magic

Hey All,

First time posting here.   Here is my situation that I could use some help with. 

I purchased and installed some Netgear M4250 switches throughout my venue.   Using the Engage software, I've setup a few VLAN's with them, Lighting, Audio, Video, etc.  Each of these VLAN's have a DHCP server from one switch.  The system I setup is isolated from the internet on purpose as I want to maintain minimal network traffic over the system.   

I'm looking now to get a Black Magic Web Presenter into the video network.  This device has one network port that is designed to both handle the setup/control of it and additionally, push video to the internet.   Putting this device on the network I setup however doesn't work because I don't have internet on the network.   

On my video switch I want to be able to have the following 3 ports. 

Port 1) connects to the rest of my network with an AutoTrunk while utilizing the Video VLAN with it' own DHCP Server.  

Port 2) connect to another network I have in my building that provides internet.  This network has its own DHCP Server.

Port 3) my Web Presenter that takes traffic from both Port 1 and Port 2.   IP Address of the device would live in the range that comes from Port 1.

How would I configure this in the M4250.   

Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Re: M4250 - Black Magic

The Blackmagic Web Presenter (HD or 4K does not matter) get the video input from an SDI. To be workable, the Ethernet port must be connected to a VLAN with an IP subnet able to reach the Internet. This can be achieved by configuring a dedicated VLAN connecting to the as you have already started with the port 2 and port 3 connection idea. Just access port config is sufficient for 2 and 3 There it goes the illusion having a fully isolated environment. Alternatively, consider a direct Ethernet link for the BMD Video Presenter to the building network with Internet access.

Message 2 of 4
abshapi
Aspirant

What I don't understand how to setup is the VLAN with the internet access being able to talk with the web presenter if it is in a different VLAN with a DHCP server feeding it an address.   How do I setup a single port on the M4250 to effectively function as a router; bridge two different networks?   Thats the crux of my issue.   I don't imagine it's in the AV GUI, I'd have to go into the main GUI, but where?

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

As an iT person, I would do this on the normal (not AV) GUI. Here an example https://kb.netgear.com/31026/How-to-configure-a-VLAN-on-a-NETGEAR-managed-switch
There is no need for routing on the switch.

All you have to configure are two or more access ports for the VLAN with the Internet access, and use these for the link to the building Internet and the Web presenter.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements