× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

M4250 Bonjour across vlans

jay_bee
Follower

M4250 Bonjour across vlans

Hi

I've got a M4250 24 port set up for testing and leanring with the hope of deploying into an active use case. I have three vlan's set up as: 

1 - Default (DHCP client from router)

2 - Users (Configured with VLAN routing & DHCP server 192.168.2.x)

3 - IOT & Printers (Configured with VLAN routing & DHCP server 192.168.3.x)

My apple users in vlan 2 cannot see any of the bonjour devices in vlan 3 so cannot airplay or discover printers. I didn't think it was possible for bonjour to cross vlans (had to use a reflector before) but I found this article which suggests its possible https://community.netgear.com/t5/Managed-Switches/Bonjour-mDNS-for-Apple-printing/m-p/2127080

From within the gui I created an mroute for 224.0.0.251 and vlans 1,2,3 but this didn't work.

Within a single switch, is this achievable? 

If I was to expand in to multiple switches with a core switch would this continue to work (assuming all netgear 4250's) 

Thanks

Message 1 of 2
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: M4250 Bonjour across vlans

@jay_bee

Welcome to the Community!

Yes, it can be done on a single switch and should continue to work.

Have you checked your multicast address? is it also 224.0.0.251? we would recommend to confirm the Multicast address by doing a packet capture on the VLAN where the multicast is taking place as it may be different than 224.0.0.251.

HTH

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements