× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear M5300 switch seems to have firmware for a different netgear product?

dewunj8
Aspirant

Netgear M5300 switch seems to have firmware for a different netgear product?

I have just taken over a business with a small network, they have a Netgear ProSafe M5300-28GF3 (GSM7328FS) L3 Switch (this is the model numnber on the switch itself) . I went to check the firmware version it's running and its showing version 6.3.1.36 and the product name shows as: GS724Tv4 which is a completly different model?? If I go to this model on the Netgear firmware downloads, the version 6.3.1.36 matches the GS724Tv4 but the switch itself has the model as M5300-28GF3 anda different model name on it.

It appears to me that the previous person or IT has installed the wrong firmware on this device. I am not familiar with Netgear products, is this possible and it would still work correct? I have tried upgrading the firmware to the correct version for the M5300 (11.0.0.40) but it fails with an error saying can't find correct version in the stk file.

Just wanting to see if anyone knows whats happening? I could factory reset it and then it should go back to defaults, but this is a last resort as would incur a little downtime. 

Also the images on the M5300 support page look like my switch whereas the GS724Tv4 looks quite  alot different to mine.

Model: M5300-28GF3 (GSM7328FSv2)|ProSafe 24F+4 Layer3 Gigabit Stackable managed switch
Message 1 of 3
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Netgear M5300 switch seems to have firmware for a different netgear product?

@dewunj8,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

I have tried upgrading the firmware to the correct version for the M5300 (11.0.0.40) but it fails with an error saying can't find correct version in the stk file.

Since you encountered an error, it seems that the switch you have is a GS724Tv4 (not an M5300-28GF3).  I advise you to update the firmware from v6.3.1.36 to v6.3.1.39.  You can download firmware v6.3.1.39 here.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 3
dewunj8
Aspirant

Re: Netgear M5300 switch seems to have firmware for a different netgear product?

Thanks for the response @DaneA - I will give this a go, suspect this is right. Just one query though, why would the switch have the M5300-28GF3 model number (toip right corner) if its a different model? Its actually the model number it came with from Netgear not one someone has added or labelled themselves if that makes sense? 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements