× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wake on LAN Unicast & IP directed broadcast

lehni011
Aspirant

Wake on LAN Unicast & IP directed broadcast

Hi, is it possible to send a WOL-packet via IP directed Broadcast threw our network with the M7300-24XF?

It should be a unicast packet till it reaches the destination switch and then turn to a broadcast packet to wake up the client. Also, we have to define one single host who can send the magic packet threw our network. Is that possible?

If its possible, how can i turn on a function like IP directed Broadcast? Do we need a special license?

Best regards

Model: M7300-24XF (XSM7224S)|ProSAFE 24-port - 10 Gigabit Stackable L2+ Managed Switch
Message 1 of 5
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@lehni011,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

I did inquire about this to our higher tier. Our switch cannot send any magic packet like this to a host and we don't have any license for this type of case. You may need a 3rd party software that sends a packet.

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 5
lehni011
Aspirant

Hi John,

thank you for your help.

We got a remote software installation server, who will send the magic packet. What i want to know is, is it possible to capsule the frame (send by our software installation server) as an unicast packet, from switch to switch, till it reaches the destination switch and then turn to a broadcast packet to wake up the client?

Best regards

Nico

Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Do you need to cover multiple IP subnetworks? That would be the use case for WoL using UDP encapsulation - not for the same LAN (VLAN) resp. IP subnet.

Message 4 of 5
lehni011
Aspirant

Hi,

yes i have to. We got about 17 subnets to be covered.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements