Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR850 crashes with large downloads

LokiThorne
Aspirant

I just got a new PC running Win11.  For the first time, I'm using Ethernet and I'm getting this issue when trying to DL games from Battle.net.  I did NOT exhibit this problem when getting games from Steam.  I'll run a test on the Xbox app later today.  What I did find out was pulling the Ethernet plug and turning on WiFi seems to have stopped this issue.

My system has an Asus Z690-P MB with:

WiFi: Intel AX201

Ethernet: Realtek Gaming 2.5G

My ethernet connection is going through a Netgear GS305 switch.  I don't think it's gonna be an ethernet protocol issue with the computer since the switch would be rebuilding the packet (replacing MAC address, etc) so it should be catching protocol issues.  If I had to guess, we really are seeing a DoS attack on the switch itself.  Seems like when it gets a connection that ramps up too fast, it kills the router.  My link speed on WiFi is 576/649 Mbps, so that probably isn't triggering the attack. If I have time this weekend, I'll play around and see what the magic DL speed is that triggers this bug.  I think it should probably get sent up as a security issue since we are seeing a DoS getting triggered.

Message 76 of 93
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

@LokiThorne wrote:

I just got a new PC running Win11.  For the first time, I'm using Ethernet and I'm getting this issue when trying to DL games from Battle.net.  I did NOT exhibit this problem when getting games from Steam.  I'll run a test on the Xbox app later today.  What I did find out was pulling the Ethernet plug and turning on WiFi seems to have stopped this issue.

My system has an Asus Z690-P MB with:

WiFi: Intel AX201

Ethernet: Realtek Gaming 2.5G

My ethernet connection is going through a Netgear GS305 switch.  I don't think it's gonna be an ethernet protocol issue with the computer since the switch would be rebuilding the packet (replacing MAC address, etc) so it should be catching protocol issues.  If I had to guess, we really are seeing a DoS attack on the switch itself.  Seems like when it gets a connection that ramps up too fast, it kills the router.  My link speed on WiFi is 576/649 Mbps, so that probably isn't triggering the attack. If I have time this weekend, I'll play around and see what the magic DL speed is that triggers this bug.  I think it should probably get sent up as a security issue since we are seeing a DoS getting triggered.

Message 77 of 93
LokiThorne
Aspirant

Orbi Firmware: V4.6.3.16_2.0.51

Cable Modem

Model:CGM4331COM
     Vendor:Technicolor

Just a few thoughts:

I'm not sure the upstream device has much to do with this, as Orbi goes completely offline.  The internal side drops, and you are unable to access the web UI when the DoS happens.  Based on the testing I've performed, the high rate transfers that I get off the Blizzard app when connected to Ethernet seems to cause an almost immediate DoS.  I do wonder about the Blizzard app, though.  That seems to be an odd common thread.  I wonder if it doing some kind of multi-point connection that is killing the router network stack?

Message 78 of 93
SQUIDWARD360
Guide

Try the Epic Games app also. Same issue. Moving it to WiFi did fix the issue. But that wasn't a suitable workaround for me and I ditched the Orbi.
Message 79 of 93
jimhayes
Aspirant

I was never able to get this solved, tech support had me reload the same firmware and do a factory reset.

When i tried to download my larger files from Google takeout - the Orbi master would panic and turn red/purple.  It could happen at any time during the transfer, but most times around 10 minutes into this.

i wanted this to work, invested in 3 units and spent $950

in the end, i moved back to Eero pro, and its been working solid - getting higher wireless transfer rates, however the range outside is not as good as the Orbi.

Message 80 of 93
jimhayes
Aspirant

I ditched the Orbi as well - back to Erro

Message 81 of 93
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Try Option #2 first. if not, try option #3. 

Also review this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-v...

v16 FW has been problmatic for lots of users. 

I have not seen any game download issues to date on my 8 series Orbi. However I don't have same modem. 

@LokiThorne wrote:

Orbi Firmware: V4.6.3.16_2.0.51

Cable Modem

Model:CGM4331COM
     Vendor:Technicolor

Just a few thoughts:

I'm not sure the upstream device has much to do with this, as Orbi goes completely offline.  The internal side drops, and you are unable to access the web UI when the DoS happens.  Based on the testing I've performed, the high rate transfers that I get off the Blizzard app when connected to Ethernet seems to cause an almost immediate DoS.  I do wonder about the Blizzard app, though.  That seems to be an odd common thread.  I wonder if it doing some kind of multi-point connection that is killing the router network stack?

Message 82 of 93
LokiThorne
Aspirant

I apologize for not explaining better.  I'm a Cybersecurity Engineer by trade, and I've already got the network topology configured per your recommendations.  The ISP modem is in bridge mode with the radio turned off, with an internal 192.168.1.x net behind it.  The Orbi is connected directly to it and located in the same cabinet (house is pre-wired for networking).  The WAN side of the Orbi is getting a 192.168.1.x address from the modem, and has an interior network of 192.168.0.x with a mix of ethernet and WiFi hosts connecting to it and it's single satellite.  Given that the Orbi is dropping it's internal network interface, it would be difficult to imagine a scenario where the ISP router could cause the Orbi to drop under any normal circumstances .  Hence, this is likely more related to a firmware bug in the Orbi itself.

The interesting thing is that my Orbi claims to be at the most current firmware release so I'm guessing that this firmware update is still in testing.  I need my network stable for work (both my wife and I work remote), so I'm not too interested in updating until it's in full release.

For Netgear:

I do believe that this vuln should be reported to NVD though as it has to potential to take down the router and seems to require a cold boot to fix.  I'd ask that a representative from Netgear report this appropriately and document any workarounds/fix.  I'm a firm believer that companies need to self report, but if that's not their business process then I'll be happy to collect the packet traces and report to NVD myself, but coordination with the security community would be a much better approach as a company.

Message 83 of 93
SQUIDWARD360
Guide

The issue has been occurring since the summer and several beta firmware updates. Like you, I work from home and cannot have an unstable connection that creates many reboots during the week to correct the issue temporarily. Besides the issues during certain downloads it just wasn't reliable enough.
Message 84 of 93
FURRYe38
Guru

Try your Orbi system in AP mode with the ISP modem in router mode. I believe others reported AP mode helped in this situation.

The FW linked is a pre-released version and will not appear on NGs download site. It's meant to bring in some stability since v4 appeared last year and caused lots of problems for lots of users. This v5 version seem to be going in the right direction as others have posted seeing better results. Mines been online for over 10 days now and zero problems. Up to you though. 

@LokiThorne wrote:

I apologize for not explaining better.  I'm a Cybersecurity Engineer by trade, and I've already got the network topology configured per your recommendations.  The ISP modem is in bridge mode with the radio turned off, with an internal 192.168.1.x net behind it.  The Orbi is connected directly to it and located in the same cabinet (house is pre-wired for networking).  The WAN side of the Orbi is getting a 192.168.1.x address from the modem, and has an interior network of 192.168.0.x with a mix of ethernet and WiFi hosts connecting to it and it's single satellite.  Given that the Orbi is dropping it's internal network interface, it would be difficult to imagine a scenario where the ISP router could cause the Orbi to drop under any normal circumstances .  Hence, this is likely more related to a firmware bug in the Orbi itself.

The interesting thing is that my Orbi claims to be at the most current firmware release so I'm guessing that this firmware update is still in testing.  I need my network stable for work (both my wife and I work remote), so I'm not too interested in updating until it's in full release.

For Netgear:

I do believe that this vuln should be reported to NVD though as it has to potential to take down the router and seems to require a cold boot to fix.  I'd ask that a representative from Netgear report this appropriately and document any workarounds/fix.  I'm a firm believer that companies need to self report, but if that's not their business process then I'll be happy to collect the packet traces and report to NVD myself, but coordination with the security community would be a much better approach as a company.

Message 85 of 93
LokiThorne
Aspirant

Great observation! Seems like the Orbi drops if it gets a pause frame. Still firmly in the big territory, a great workaround!
Message 86 of 93
SAFF
Aspirant

Resolved by moving to another lan port for me.
Message 87 of 93
FURRYe38
Guru

What LAN port were you using? 

What LAN port did you move too? 

@SAFF wrote:
Resolved by moving to another lan port for me.

Message 88 of 93
mattcieslewicz
Aspirant

has there been any resolution to this crashing issue?  Also have the 750 and never had an issue with download crashing previous routers.  Also have issues with just devices working when they are connected (ie. laptop and phone are both connected to the orbi wifi, but when trying to load an email or website it just spins until you disconnect from wifi and reconnect).

Message 89 of 93
jparrish
Tutor

Mine seemed to fix itself with a firmware update. I paused all big downloads for a long time and then happened to boot steam up after a restart without really thinking and had multiple games update at fast speeds with no issue. Sorry I can’t be of any more help.
Message 90 of 93
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

How big are these downloads in size? 

@mattcieslewicz wrote:

has there been any resolution to this crashing issue?  Also have the 750 and never had an issue with download crashing previous routers.  Also have issues with just devices working when they are connected (ie. laptop and phone are both connected to the orbi wifi, but when trying to load an email or website it just spins until you disconnect from wifi and reconnect).

Message 91 of 93
mattcieslewicz
Aspirant

My Orbi 750 is running Firmware Version V4.6.8.2_2.1.9.  Support suggested turning off Armor and that stopped the crashing. Awaiting a real resolution since paying for Armor but having to have it disabled for a game to download from Steam shouldn't be the solution.

Message 92 of 93
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

How big are these downloads in size? 

Try updating FW? 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-4...

For any Armor problems, please post about those in the Armor forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Armor/bd-p/en-home-armor

@mattcieslewicz wrote:

My Orbi 750 is running Firmware Version V4.6.8.2_2.1.9.  Support suggested turning off Armor and that stopped the crashing. Awaiting a real resolution since paying for Armor but having to have it disabled for a game to download from Steam shouldn't be the solution.

Message 93 of 93
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 92 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7