× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

The Admin page of ReadyNAS RN2120 device dosen't work properly after firmware 6.9.4 upgrade.

Cyborg-2019
Aspirant

The Admin page of ReadyNAS RN2120 device dosen't work properly after firmware 6.9.4 upgrade.

Hello All, We have ReadyNAS RN2120 device which I used to access via the admin page (https://server IP) to do some admin tasks. The firmware was updated to 6.9.4 on it and probably after that the admin page stopped to open. I can enter the login/password but then it tries to connect and says that page is offline. The server's shares can be opened normally via the Windows explorer, only the admin page fails. I tried with IE and Chrome and cleared IE temp files/cookies - it didn't help. I also tried to restart the server - the same results. But couple of times after the device's restart I'm able to login there. However still it doesn't work properly and I can't do any tasks via this page (just won't open any links there). Last time when I was able to login, I saw firmware 6.9.5 was available. Will it help if I install it? Are there any risks to the device/data if I upgrade it to version 6.9.5? Or do you have any other suggestions? thank you in advance.
Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: The Admin page of ReadyNAS RN2120 device dosen't work properly after firmware 6.9.4 upgrade.

If you don't have an up-to-date backup of the shares, then you should take care of that before you attempt anything else.

Attempting to upgrade to 6.9.5 carries some risk, especially if the issue is related to a filling OS partition.

I suggest downloading the log zip file (perhaps using RAIDar since the web ui is problematic).  https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads#raidar

Then PM the mods ( @JohnCM_S and @Marc_V ) and ask them if they are willing to analyze them.

Another option is to engage paid Netgear support (my.netgear.com).

Message 2 of 7
Cyborg-2019
Aspirant

Re: The Admin page of ReadyNAS RN2120 device dosen't work properly after firmware 6.9.4 upgrade.

Hi ,

Thank you for the reply. I can take backups of most of the shares but it would be problematic to restore them if something goes wrong.

Unfortunately I am not able to use the RAIDar as it doesn't detect the NAS drive on the LAN.

The web pages opens sometimes but doesn't let me open any links there - so I can't do any admin tasks via it.

Regards,

Eldar

Message 3 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

This does sound like a full OS partition is a possibility.  Are you runing Plex, which is notorious for doing just that?

If that is the problem, trying to downgrade the OS is the last thing you want to do.  When the NAS tries to store the retrograde OS image on the OS partition in preparation for the downgrade, even  more will go wrong.

You need to figure out the root cause before taking any additional action, except for insuring your backup is up to date.

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Do you have ssh enabled on the NAS?  If so, can you connect with it?

If you have reasonable linux skills, you could check the OS partition fullness in tech support mode. You'd log into the NAS with telnet, and then manually mount the OS partition.

Message 5 of 7
Cyborg-2019
Aspirant

Hi StephenB,

No ssh is not enabled there. I checked it and couldn't login via ssh.

Do you know if it is possible to rollback the 6.9.4 firmware upgrade to the previous version?

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Cyborg-2019 wrote:

Do you know if it is possible to rollback the 6.9.4 firmware upgrade to the previous version?

That is possible if you have access to the web UI, but you shouldn't attempt it.  If the OS partition is very full, it would fail - and it might damage the configuration files.  

How much experience to you have with the linux CLI?  If you don't already know it (or need to limit the risk of data loss), you are better off using paid support via my.netgear.com.

Either way, you should definitely back up all the data - it is at risk.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements