× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Admin password does not allow special characters

Forage
Aspirant

Admin password does not allow special characters

Hi,

I just tried to setup my new ReadyNAS Duo v2, but it did not go without a hitch.
At first I got presented with the setup process, after going to the IP address in my browser. At the end of the setup steps I hit "Apply", but got presents with a "Communication Error" message. After rebooting the NAS and playing with different answers for the setup questions, I decided to give up on the setup process by exiting.
Afterwards it turned out the password was still set to default. Trying to change it (logging out and restarting the browser) took many attempts, to finally find out it was caused by special characters in the password. In my case it was an "&" character, but I can imagine others might cause issues as well as well as special characters in other input fields.

I really hope this issue can be addressed, as I deem it to be a security weakening matter, not to mention quite annoying.

System: ReadyNAS Duo v2
Firmware: RAIDiator 5.3.5
Browser: Firefox 12

Let me know if you need any more information or testing.
Message 1 of 9
AllWin
Aspirant

Same issue with "&" symbol - viewtopic.php?f=23&t=63497 (see 7th post).
Message 2 of 9
tidjidi1
Aspirant

Thanx for the clue.
I wondered why my brand new RNduo v2 did not modified my admin password.
BTW, I go the same issue with the initial wizard!

I was surprised as I got an old-fashioned RNduo (radiator 4.1.7), that accepts the same password (with non alphanum characters)
You're right, it looks like a bug...
Message 3 of 9
Forage
Aspirant

Thanks for the confirmation.

I'm surprised, and a bit disappointed to be honest, that no one from Netgear has responded yet.
Message 4 of 9
PapaBear1
Guide

Interesting. I had never tried one before. On my NVX running Radiator 4.2.17, I changed my password to include '&" and it worked just fine (I did change it back), so it must be related to 5.3.x.
Message 5 of 9
17Hz
Aspirant

Annoyingly enough I wasted a good hour trying to Setup my new NV+ V2 using the wizard with every attempt being met with 'Communication Error' before I twigged it was '&' character that was the problem.

When the NAS is setup and you go into the dashboard configuration it allows you to type in the pasword with '&' but then simply does not execute it.

I might add that my NV+ V1 allows punctuation. By not allowing punctuation you reduce the security of the password and it is very shoddy programming not to give some indication the password characters are out of range.

Sad but it seems overall support for this product is not a patch on what it was for the NV+ v1, more fool me for buying it without checking this forum first.
Message 6 of 9
MarcusF
Admin

Checking with dev team about this one
Clearly is UI limit seeing if we can we have adjusted for future
Message 7 of 9
Forage
Aspirant

I can't believe this issue isn't fixed in 5.3.8. After trying to change the current password to include an "&" character, it appears that it is saving it properly. If you attempt to login with the new password, it will fail. It's still the old password you'd have to supply.

In an e-mail for the case I opened for this issue (Case #20114840) they told me that the issue was planned to be fixed for 5.3.8 but this is not the case. I've opened case #21540407 to bring the matter up again.
Message 8 of 9
veerzara
Aspirant

Hello mate, Try to change your password ,by adding the character “&”.Because it worked just fine for me. Check the admin team showing the issue. However, later I encountered a problem with the sign in option. It showed “invalid password”.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements