× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Default power condition

zero101a
Tutor

Default power condition

Is there a way to change the default power on of the ReadyNAS?

I can turn off my ReadNAS properly (via the webpage or double press the power button).

However if there is a power glitch or failure, whilst the NAS is off, the NAS will automatically power on.

I would prefer for it to stay off, until I tell it to turn on again.

Is there a setting I can change to make this happen?

Thanks

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Default power condition

@zero101a wrote:

Perhaps this is something I will need to change in the BIOS screen?

Netgear doesn't provide access to the BIOS settings.

A UPS makes the behavior consistent since the NAS monitors the UPS and always gracefully shuts down. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @zero101a, not that straight forward through the admin page to my knowledge, anybody else wants to comment?

However, best practice to address related issues is to have an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS), which could communicate with the Nas. ACP's BackUPS700G for example (and there are many more) is very affordable and also reliable (I have 3 of them). In case of a power loss it will keep your nas running for about 30 minutes and also gracefully shut it down. So all power glitches/failures below that duration would be addressed by this approach. It also is much better for your data health, if no shutdown is forced by those events you mentioned.

Kind regards

Message 2 of 5
zero101a
Tutor

Hi Roland, thanks for taking the time to respond.

However my prime concern is that once the NAS has shutdown gracefully, it stays shutdown.

The problem I have is that once power is restored the unit will ignore its previous off state and turn on automatically.

Regards,

Fergus

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 3 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@zero101a wrote: "The problem I have is that once power is restored the unit will ignore its previous off state and turn on automatically."

Fortunately you are wrong. I can confirm, that the nas stays off, after being shutdown by my ups even after power is available again. That is the beauty of this solution. Nevertheless, there is the drawback (depending on your needs), that you actively have to switch it on, if necessay. WOL works fine in this case.

Kind regards

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@zero101a wrote:

Netgear doesn't provide access to the BIOS settings.

A UPS makes the behavior consistent since the NAS monitors the UPS and always gracefully shuts down. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements