× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Disappointed with lack of knowledge of support

shoemoney
Tutor

Disappointed with lack of knowledge of support #25012209

unboxed my 516, installed 6 5tb wd red drives, booted and like a dumbass installed about every plugin (hey I was excited).

The web interface went down and reboot whatever wouldn't work.

I called support and they told me they only supported 4tb and 6tb red drives and that was my problem.

I was stunned. Really thats why the frontview web interface wouldn't work and he insisted 100% that was my problem....

I asked if I could talk to someone there (politely) who was more knowledgeable. I asked simply if there was a way to factory reset it and he said there was but he wouldn't walk me through it unless I got compliant drives.

2 mins on this forum solved my issue.

Dunno if you want feedback about your support but this was not a good experience. I expected better after dropping a bunch of money.

Thank you forum! Look forward to helping out others as I learn the ins and outs!
Message 1 of 16
Bigbearf
Aspirant

Well. That is sorry to hear. I have a 516 with 4 TB drives. The 6 TB red drives were not available when I got mine. You got bit by the 6..2.2 bug as I did. Factory default would fix that if you had no data to worry about. Do not uninstall any apps until 6.2.3 is available.
Bigbearf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Message 2 of 16
BaJohn
Virtuoso

Re: Disappointed with lack of knowledge of support

shoemoney wrote:
.....thats why the frontview web interface wouldn't work....
Don't bother with frontview for the RN516, just give the NAS a permanent IP and use that for access. Better still do what I do and give it a name on your PC etc. I call mine "XNAS" as I got it just after XMAS. If you don't know how to do it, just holler.
Message 3 of 16
BaJohn
Virtuoso

BigBearf wrote:
Do not install any apps until 6.2.3 is available.
Why, and is OS 6.2.3 imminent?
Message 4 of 16
Bigbearf
Aspirant

I agree with the static IP however you need to use front view to accomplish that.

Message 5 of 16
Bigbearf
Aspirant

6.2.3 addresses the bug that affects uninstalling an app and losing Frontview. On the RN forum mdgm has a thread talking about this issue. 6.2.3 should be released in the next week or two.

Message 6 of 16
shoemoney
Tutor

Well I can tell you what solved all my issues was being able to login as root.

I am a unix vet for over 20 years and I didn't know root login was enabled out of the box.

BTW this is built on debian? love using apt!

I migrated from unraid and while that is fun with slackware and all that it takes a lot of maintenance and upkeep and hacking away. Nice to have something that just works. I can't believe the performance... its quite impressive. I was lucky to get 30mbs out of my unraid box. Copying over stuff from my computers both network ports maxed out cable speed cat 6. Didn't think write speed (especially during sync) would be near that.
Message 7 of 16
StephenB
Guru

BaJohn wrote:
shoemoney wrote:
Don't bother with frontview for the RN516, just give the NAS a permanent IP and use that for access...
Bad advice. You need access to the admin web ui.
Message 8 of 16
Bigbearf
Aspirant

Welcome shoemoney. Glad to have a nix veteran onboard. I myself am not a nix veteran but have pick up some since I've messed with ReadyNAS boxes for about five years. Agree with StevenB regarding web admin IU interface.

Message 9 of 16
StephenB
Guru

BigBearf wrote:
Do not install any apps until 6.2.3 is available.
What you want to avoid is UNINSTALLING apps until 6.2.3 is available/installed. Though since ssh access is enabled, the OP can resolve that bug if he runs into it.
Message 10 of 16
Bigbearf
Aspirant

@StephenB
you are correct I edited my post right after I submitted it.

Message 11 of 16
BaJohn
Virtuoso

StephenB wrote:
BaJohn wrote:
shoemoney wrote:
Don't bother with frontview for the RN516, just give the NAS a permanent IP and use that for access...
Bad advice. You need access to the admin web ui.
I am looking at the Admin Web Page UI with "Netgear ReadyNAS Admin Page" at the top and tabs of 'System', 'Shares','iSCSI','Accounts' etc.
That was brought up by using the local name of the NAS box on my PC.
I must be missing something here, but willing to learn. Please explain where I am going wrong?
Message 12 of 16
StephenB
Guru

BaJohn wrote:
...I am looking at the Admin Web Page UI with "Netgear ReadyNAS Admin Page" at the top and tabs of 'System', 'Shares','iSCSI','Accounts' etc.
Then you are using Frontview. But the OP couldn't access it at all, and you told him it wasn't necessary. I expect you were thinking about ReadyCloud - which isn't necessary.

Though Frontview is really the OS4 name (the OS5 manual calls it "dashboard" and the OS6 manual calls it "local admin page").

On the mechanics of launching it from windows explorer - if you click on a storage device "network" pane, then windows will launch the browser - which puts you into the admin page. If you click on a "computer" device it opens up windows explorer, and shows you the share list. If you click on a DLNA device, then windows will launch the media player. My NAS are listed as all three (in the right pane when I click on "network").
Message 13 of 16
BaJohn
Virtuoso

StephenB wrote:
BaJohn wrote:
...I am looking at the Admin Web Page UI with "Netgear ReadyNAS Admin Page" at the top and tabs of 'System', 'Shares','iSCSI','Accounts' etc.
Then you are using Frontview. But the OP couldn't access it at all, and you told him it wasn't necessary. I expect you were thinking about ReadyCloud - which isn't necessary.

Though Frontview is really the OS4 name (the OS5 manual calls it "dashboard" and the OS6 manual calls it "local admin page").

On the mechanics of launching it from windows explorer - if you click on a storage device "network" pane, then windows will launch the browser - which puts you into the admin page. If you click on a "computer" device it opens up windows explorer, and shows you the share list. If you click on a DLNA device, then windows will launch the media player. My NAS are listed as all three (in the right pane when I click on "network").
The way people in the forum talk about Frontview, it is as though it is a separate program, similar to Raidiator, maybe local on their front end device, whereas in reality it is the Admin web page, on the back end. Since I started using ReadyNAS with the OS6 I have not been exposed to the term Frontview, and in my mind anything to do with the NAS is 'back'. Perhaps the Netgear team should denigrate the use of the term Frontview, as ambiguous. It is the Admin web page, so why not say so.
On the question of launching from a windows PC, I just type 'XNAS' in the internet explorer window, as that has been setup in my 'hosts' file. I tend to use 'windows explorer' for most things on the PC, and 'internet explorer' for internet type things not on the PC. Just the way my mind works. Also it enables me to use the term 'XNAS' in my backup routines without having to worry about IP addresses.
On your point about using 'Network', this is interesting. I always see the NAS in the 'storage' devices, intermittently in the 'media devices' (comes and goes), and I have never seen the shares in the 'computer' device.
Message 14 of 16
StephenB
Guru

BaJohn wrote:
Perhaps the Netgear team should denigrate the use of the term Frontview, as ambiguous. It is the Admin web page, so why not say so.
Well, that is what they are doing in the OS6 manual - "local admin page". I've been trying to shift to "web admin page" since OS6 but my fingers are very used to typing frontview at this point. Anyway, the OP called it that, so I stuck with it.

BaJohn wrote:
I just type 'XNAS' in the internet explorer window, as that has been setup in my 'hosts' file.
You shouldn't actually need a hosts file anymore, its an obsolete concept that predates DNS. The NAS name should be discovered w/o it on most networks. Though some other devices don't let you set the names - I guess it could be useful for that.

BaJohn wrote:
On your point about using 'Network', this is interesting. I always see the NAS in the 'storage' devices, intermittently in the 'media devices' (comes and goes), and I have never seen the shares in the 'computer' device.
Devices do tend to come and go on the windows list. Yesterday I saw all NAS in all three categories. Today Computer is missing, but the other two are there. I gave up trying to figure out exactly how windows decides to classify devices a long time ago.
Message 15 of 16
BaJohn
Virtuoso

StephenB wrote:
BaJohn wrote:
Devices do tend to come and go on the windows list. Yesterday I saw all NAS in all three categories. Today Computer is missing, but the other two are there. I gave up trying to figure out exactly how windows decides to classify devices a long time ago.
So I am not the only one. I was leaving this 'quirk' till later, but knowing you can't fix it suggests I shouldn't bother either.
Perhaps others can comment on this minor irritation. There could be simple answer out there.
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements