× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Does not Boot

tasone
Aspirant

Does not Boot

Hello,

I have two Netgear ReadyNAS 2100, and I tried to do a firmware update to the device, but after it was done and rebooted, nothing happened

I unpluged and waited a bit and tried again to reboot, nothing if just sits and looks at me.

I used the boot menu and tried to do a factory reset  and nothing, I also tried to rebuild the OS bu the boot menu and again nothing.

I just leave the device and it looks like nothing is happening to it at all, I cant see it on my network, and i used the netgear to set it up and it cannot find it.

Do you think i have killed it?

Thanks

Andrew

Model: RNRX4000|ReadyNAS 2100 Chassis only
Message 1 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@tasone wrote:

I just leave the device and it looks like nothing is happening to it at all, I cant see it on my network, and i used the netgear to set it up and it cannot find it.

Try powering down and removing the disks (labeling by slot, so you know where they belong).

Then power up, and see if the NAS shows up on your network.  RAIDar should also find it, and report a "no disks" status. https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads#raidar

Message 2 of 17
Sandshark
Sensei

What did you try to update to?  I hoipe it wasn't OS6.  The 2100 (V1) can't be updated to OS6.  If you did try going to OS6, you may well have bricked the NAS.  But you could try a USB recovery to the proper OS.

Message 3 of 17
tasone
Aspirant

Hi, 

Yes i tried this, nothing, that tool cannot see the device

Andrew

Message 4 of 17
tasone
Aspirant

Hi,

Yes i was trying to get to os 6

I was using the following lsite guide to do it

https://blah.cloud/just-for-fun/upgrading-a-legacy-readynas-from-raidiator-4-2-x-to-6-2-x/

I think it is bricked as well

Andrew

Message 5 of 17
StephenB
Guru

Try the USB recovery, it might get you back.

OS-6 requires a 64 bit x86 processor, and unfortunately several legacy 4.2.x NAS only had 32 bit processors.  They can't be converted.

Message 6 of 17
tasone
Aspirant

I already tried a USB reinstall, still nothing

Message 7 of 17
Sandshark
Sensei

Keep trying.  See this thread from a user who recently did the same thing and recovered: ReadyNAS-2100-bricked 

Message 8 of 17
tasone
Aspirant

Thanks, i will try again and see were i get

Message 9 of 17
tasone
Aspirant

Ok, I checked that other post

CAn i double check I am making the USB right

So i am using a 8gb usb pen formated to FAT32

I downloaded that esbrovery from your links in the post you advised on

I ran that tool and selected the above device.

I when copied over the RAIDiator-x86-4.2.31~1 file again linked in that post you advised of, and i just copied the file to the root folder of my pen

set my nas to do a USB restore from the boot menu and just left it to work.

i tried the fron USB and rear USB, and nothing has changed

I also used XP sp3 conpartablity on the usb create program

Again no luck,

Do you know how long i need to wait for it?

Message 10 of 17
mdgm
Virtuoso

You need the MBR partitioning scheme as well. There needs to be a partition table with a single partition that you format as FAT32.

usbrecovery.exe should be run as an administrator.

The firmware image filename is RAIDiator-x86-4.2.31

Not all USB keys are compatible. So you may need to try multiple keys.

It should be fairly quick, maybe it would take a few minutes or so. The system should turn off when USB Boot Recovery completes.

Are you remembering to press the BACKUP button on boot to get it to boot off USB?

1. Press and hold BACKUP button

2. Turn the NAS on

3. Continue to press and hold the BACKUP button for up to 15 seconds (can keep pressing it for longer if you want).

Message 11 of 17
tasone
Aspirant

Hi

I am sure i have the USB pen setup right, (i trtied a few now)

You dont get to the bopt ment by what your saying.

I tried your way and it does nothing, can you advise on what i need to done using the backup key way.

On my device i have to press the reset button while it is powering on, and then press the backup button to select hd light 3 only is light, and then press the reset button to start it.

Thanks

Andrew

Message 12 of 17
mdgm
Virtuoso

The process for USB Boot Recovery on systems with a BACKUP button doesn't involve the RESET button at all.

The steps I mentioned were to do USB Boot Recovery.

If the USB keys aren't working you could try more USB keys.

Message 13 of 17
tasone
Aspirant

can i ask how this USB boot option works (or should i say how to doit)

So,. press and hold the backup button until ......?

I tried about 8 USB pens now, but using the reset button way, not tried the backup key version.

Thanks

Andrew

Message 14 of 17
Sandshark
Sensei

The very clear instructions on doing a boot from USB are included here: RAIDiator-4-2-USB-Recovery-Tool .

Message 15 of 17
tasone
Aspirant

Thanks for the link

I think that is the issue here, i have the Rackmount version and the link you give me says to use the reset button,.

I tried following the guide for the backup button but it just does not work at all.

Thining this thing is bricked, i got a couble more USB pens on order I will try it with them, but i think after that i will just bin the thing and take it as a read fully before you try!

Thanks

Andrew

Message 16 of 17
mdgm
Virtuoso

usbrecovery.exe should be run as an Administrator

A common mistake is to not use the MBR partition scheme or to not have a partition table on the USB key. The USB Boot Recovery script looks for the files in partition 1.

I have never had a 32-bit Intel ReadyNAS so I haven't been able to work on other ways to create a USB Boot Recovery stick or other ways to boot off USB. If you can boot off a different 32-bit x86 Linux boot disk it would almost certainly be possible to manually mount the internal flash and attempt to fix the problem manually.

There is a serial console port hidden under a sticker. That could provide useful information on where you are getting stuck.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements