× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Drive configuration ReadyNas 102

mmartinez1
Aspirant

Drive configuration ReadyNas 102

I received my ReadyNas 102 2 days ago and after going to many sites and reading, I was able to start the unit.
I currently have one 2TB and one 1TB drives and do not have the means to purchase another 2TB Now.. Is there a way to utilize the 3TBs that I have in the unit? Or would I always waste 1TB.
Thank you

Mario
Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

You need to set up the unit as flexraid.

Generally it works best to set up one volume per disk. That would give you a 2 TB volume and a 1 TB volume - 3 TB total.

You could also set up a 2x1TB RAID-1 volume that has RAID redundancy, and then set up a second 1TB volume with no redundancy. That would give you 2 TB of total space.

To get there from where you are, you can either do a factory reset, and rebuild from scratch. Or change to flexraid, and if needed, destroy your existing volume.
Message 2 of 8
mmartinez1
Aspirant

Thank you StephenB

I selected the first alternative and it worked
If I want to try your second alternative, "2x1TB RAID-1", would I select X-Raid on the 2 TB Drive and leave the 1 TB alone?

Thank you
Mario
Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

mmartinez wrote:
If I want to try your second alternative, "2x1TB RAID-1", would I select X-Raid on the 2 TB Drive and leave the 1 TB alone?
Xraid/flexraid are modes for the whole unit, they don't apply to specific volumes.

If you are using flexraid, you first put both disks in a RAID-1 array. You should then be able to create a second 1 TB RAID-0 volume on the 2 TB drive to use the extra space if you wish.

With xraid, the system simply gives you a 2x1TB RAID-1 array, with no way to use the extra TB.
Message 4 of 8
mmartinez1
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply.
I have both on Flex Raid, Do I have to first DESTROY both again?, how do I put them on RAID-1?
I have read the manual and it says it can be done but it does not provide the steps to accomplish the conversion.
You been a real help to me and I very close to achieving it, Would you provide me with the steps I need to take?
Than you
Mario
Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

You destroy the volumes, then recreate them. For the first one you select both drives. OS4 allows you to enter the desired volume size. I don't recall if OS6 does that or not (I created my OS6 volumes quite a while ago).

After that finishes, you should be able to create a second volume on the larger drive.

Note I haven't created a RAID-1 volume on the RN102- I use jbod, which is what you have already set up. OS6 might be more restrictive on flexraid than OS4.
Message 6 of 8
mmartinez1
Aspirant

Thank you for all your help, I could not find how to place the 2TB in Raid-1. So I am going to use both volumes together as one unit JBOD.
Once I become more familiar with ReadyNas I may try your suggestion again.
JBOD was my first preference, but learning that I could place my 2TB on a Raid-1 became an extra.
Thank you again for your help.
Mario
Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

The way you would do RAID-1 is select both volumes. Alternatively, let it use XRAID with both volumes in place, and immediately convert to flexraid after the volume initializes.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements