× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware 6.10.5 web interface broken in final release

Sandshark
Sensei

@SebastianNielse wrote:

Only thing I changed from default is enable 24 hour clock.

That is ONLY thing I changed from default except for setting a password.

I changed my 214 to 24-hour time, and it had no effect, so it's not that, at least by itself.

No change in the timezone?  Since this does seem to be related to an accelerated time-out, that might be relevant.  I've already just set it to be wrong and that had no impact.

Message 26 of 71
Calitos
Tutor

Steps:

1.- Download and unzip the firmware version 6.10.4:
https://kb.netgear.com/000062588/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Software-Version-6-10-4
2.- Restart the NAS
3.- Open the web interface in an inprivate window
4.- In settings-update disable automatic firmware updates and notifications for update.
5.- Install the firmware downloaded manually

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 27 of 71
StephenB
Guru

@Calitos wrote:

Some posters have said they could not do this (it had the same log in problem as a normal browser window).

Did you have trouble with this step?

What browser were you using?

Message 28 of 71
Calitos
Tutor

Everything worked by following those steps. I don't know if all the steps are necessary, but it only worked by doing it in an inprivate window immediately after rebooting the NAS. My Browser is Microsoft Edge Version 90.0.818.62

Message 29 of 71
StephenB
Guru

@Calitos wrote:

but it only worked by doing it in an inprivate window immediately after rebooting the NAS. My Browser is Microsoft Edge Version 90.0.818.62

Interesting clue.

FWIW, people with the problem are saying that they can access the NAS web ui using internet explorer (w/o the inprivate window).

I haven't had the problem myself.

Message 30 of 71
Horvath
Guide

People who are able to access FrontView at all are just lucky to do so.  The flaw is persistent on every browser and is definitely a FV problem.  And instructions for downgrading if you still have SSH access makes life a lot easier.

You should downgrade right away to 6.10.4.  (I did that and the problem went away).  Contrary to other posts - it has NOTHING to do with the browser version you're using to access the unit - it happens on all browsers - again - it's a flaw in frontview.

Here are the instructions for the ARM unit (RN102):

NB: (you MUST be ssh'ed in as 'root'):

cd /root
wget http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNASOS-6.10.4-arm.zip
unzip ReadyNASOS-6.10.4-arm.zip
echo /root/ReadyNASOS-6.10.4-arm.img > /etc/.flash_update
reboot

There is a hotfix that needs to be applied to that release and it will automatically be applied if your NAS settings permit hotfixes to be automatically applied... otherwise - do as you see fit.

Just ignore any further updates to 6.10.5 until they get their act together.

Message 31 of 71
StephenB
Guru

@Horvath wrote:

People who are able to access FrontView at all are just lucky to do so. 

FWIW, I haven't had the problem at all, and I have installed 6.10.5 on three different NAS (an RN102, an RN202, and an RN524).

I think there has to be some common element that everyone experiencing the problem shares.  But it has been hard to sort out what it might be from the various posts.  I think we have identified a lot of things that aren't factors.

@Horvath wrote:

Contrary to other posts - it has NOTHING to do with the browser version you're using to access the unit - it happens on all browsers - again - it's a flaw in frontview.

Did you personally experience it with internet explorer?

Message 32 of 71
Horvath
Guide

Yes Stephen B - I personally tested on 9 different browsers (including IE) against 2 different NAS Units (RN102) in 2 different modes ("Incognito" or equivalent and "not-Incognito") on 3 platforms (Mac, Windows and Android).  The login-loop continued to occur.

You're right - I should have qualified my comment a little more carefully: [IF you experience the login-loop AND you are able to access FrontView at all, THEN you are just lucky to do so.]

This is based on the reports that I have seen here, AND from my other friends who have no presence in this support forum - all experiencing the same thing.  
I helped my friends with RN10x's (5 in all) who had the same problem and didn't have the benefit of time that I took to try the array of browser instances.  Moreover, this problem was identified in the 6.10.5 beta with *no* apparent resolution, work-around or conclusion reported by Netgear prior to the delivery of 6.10.5 ... that I have been able to find in these forums.

The other problem is that none of us has a unit that is in-warranty.  It's doubly-challenging getting anyones attention in a meaningful way (as this thread itself would suggest).

Don't get me wrong - the fact that I've been running the RN102 (2 units - both with the same problem) unit for so long does mean that I'm a "good customer" - but it happened at a most unfortunate time and I am trying to provide all that I know back to whomever can use it so they don't waste as much time as I did.

Message 33 of 71
StephenB
Guru

@Horvath wrote:

Yes Stephen B - I personally tested on 9 different browsers (including IE) against 2 different NAS Units (RN102) in 2 different modes ("Incognito" or equivalent and "not-Incognito") on 3 platforms (Mac, Windows and Android).  The login-loop continued to occur.

Thanks, that's useful to know.  Some folks reported that IE did resolve it for them.  

FWIW, I agree that folks shouldn't upgrade until this is figured out.  Obviously it is a NAS bug, given that multiple browsers suddenly misbehave after upgrading, and downgrading immediately reverses it.

Do you have any cloud services enabled?  I'm also wondering if you imported a public key?

It should be possible to downgrade firmware from tech support mode - which hopefully isn't messed up by this.

Message 34 of 71
elfworks
Tutor

Thanks for the instructions on downgrading to 6.10.4.

RN104 owner, upgraded to 6.10.5 from '6.10.4 hotfix 1', and ran into the login loop.

Restoring 6.10.4 made the problem go away.

Hotfix automatically installed.

Thanks again!

Message 35 of 71
Horvath
Guide

Thanks, that's useful to know.  Some folks reported that IE did resolve it for them.  

Yes - I noted that as well - but without enough data points I'm treating that as "possible correlation" which doesn't imply "causation"... I get it though - it's probably a variety of factors... but the outcomes and symptoms were the same for the units I worked on.

In response to your questions/observations:

Do you have any cloud services enabled?  No - but both are attached to ReadyCloud if that is a "cloud service" that you had in mind.

I'm also wondering if you imported a public key? Imported a public key for ssh access? If so, yes so I wouldn't need to use passwords for ssh access.

It should be possible to downgrade firmware from tech support mode - which hopefully isn't messed up by this. Honestly, that would have been a last resort for me since that always procedurally "no fun".

Message 36 of 71
StephenB
Guru

@Horvath wrote:

Do you have any cloud services enabled?  No - but both are attached to ReadyCloud if that is a "cloud service" that you had in mind.

Yes, ReadyCloud was one I had in mind - anything on the cloud page of the web ui.  It is disabled on my systems, so it is a difference.

@Horvath wrote:

I'm also wondering if you imported a public key? Imported a public key for ssh access? If so, yes so I wouldn't need to use passwords for ssh access.

Another difference.  I don't use rsync-over-ssh, and just use a password for normal ssh access.  So I've never imported a public key.

Message 37 of 71
stevenpemberton
Aspirant

I installed 6.10.5 today and get the same problems on a 312.

Resiliosync and Slim server apps installed.

Model: RN31223D|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2- Bay (2x 3TB Desktop)
Message 38 of 71
pgylbert
Initiate

The following is my story, I try to be exact and detailed - maybe a bit too much.

I have this NAS for a good few years, and I kept the default admin/password (bad habit, I know). A few days ago I updated to 6.10.5. When I tried to log in after the update (using Chrome), I got redirected immediately to the password recovery page (which indicated that I never set up a recovery method). I panicked a bit, then tried another browser (Opera) and I could log in OK. Then I decided to be a reasonable admin, so I set a complex password, as well as a recovery method. Since then, the situation is the following: I still get directed to the password recovery page right away if using Chrome. With other browsers, I can log in, but before the admin page would load completely, it goes to "Connecting to the ReadyNAS Admin Page", the blue progress bar, and it starts over. No matter how fast I click on any link, I cannot do anything. I tried to shut down or restart, I could comfortably click on the menu items 2-3 times, but had no effect.

I ssh'd in and checked the journal. I found the below message (when I login with admin):

apache2[4403]: [auth_basic:error] [pid 4403] [client 192.168.1.50:33252] AH01618: user 1621794430734 not found: /admin/index.html, referer: http://192.16
8.1.102/admin/

.50 is my laptop, .102 is the NAS. The strange part is the "user 1621794430734" that is not found.

My impression (which may be totally wrong) is that my password change did not make it through all systems. It seems that the user databases got out of sync. "admin" is no longer known to certain parts of the web authentication system.

Message 39 of 71
stevenpemberton
Aspirant

I get exactly this behaviour without having set up password recover.

Model: RN31223D|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2- Bay (2x 3TB Desktop)
Message 40 of 71
pgylbert
Initiate

What happened since:

I used the boot menu to do OS Reinstall. It reset the admin password to "password". Chrome still redirects to password recovery, but other browsers loaded the admin page properly.

Then I changed the admin password -- and the problem returned.

It seems that -- at least in my case -- it is the admin password change that generates the issue.

I hope this is enough input for a thorough check from Netgear folks...

Message 41 of 71
Calitos
Tutor

Steps:

1.- Download and unzip the firmware version 6.10.4:
https://kb.netgear.com/000062588/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Software-Version-6-10-4
2.- Restart the NAS
4.- In settings-update disable automatic firmware updates and notifications for update.
5.- Install the firmware downloaded manually

I have solved the problem again by downgrade the firmware to 6.10.4 on an RN104. This time I have only been able to access after disabling the cache in an inprivate window:

Press F12 or open developer tools from within Chrome's settings (Settings> More tools> Developer tools). Click the cog in the top right of the pop-out box. Check the "Disable Cache (while DevTools is open)" setting box.

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 42 of 71

I don't think its the admin password change itself that causes the problem.

But rather, the setup wizard does not contain the "problematic element" - thus the issue will NEVER appear in the setup wizard itself.

Once you are done with the setup wizard, ergo on the first admin page, the problem returns due to the "problematic element" loading.

And about the problematic element - I think it is the "Recommended" or "Featured" apps, that fails to load, and thus causes the admin page to reset itself as some sort of "error recovery".

Message 43 of 71
Sandshark
Sensei

The recommended apps show up for me, and I have no issues.  But I do have apps installed.  Maybe the installed apps being blank is a part of the puzzle?  Do you have any installed?

Message 44 of 71

It fails for me even with no apps installed.

But I do notice "Available apps" is blank, and trying to access "Available apps" triggers a refresh loop.

So only way to install apps is to upload the .deb files.

So it seems surely to have with that something between the NAS and the Netgear servers are broken, and this is causing the endless loop.

Message 45 of 71
Sandshark
Sensei

But, again, that's not the case for all.  I can see available apps just fine on all NAS with 6.10.5.  It may be another sign of the problem, but I don't think that's the problem itself.

Message 46 of 71
Matdub
Aspirant

the only solution I have found is to go back to a stable version like 6. 10. 4.I have just performed the downgrade and my ReadyNAS 104 is finally working perfectly. If you want the procedure, I can write it to you. Forgive my english is very bad

Message 47 of 71
CLHatch
Luminary

I initially had this same issue on my RN316 after installing the stable version of 6.10.5 (from the previous stable 6.10.4).  But I also had files uploading through SyncThing, and a large SMB transfer to the NAS going when I was trying to access the webpage.  Hoping that it was a combination of those sustained transfers along with any "apt" updates the system was still doing after the firmware update, I just let it sit for a while.  Got up today, and the webpage comes up just fine.  Oh, I've only tried in Chrome, didn't try other browsers when it wasn't working for me, or now that it is working.  Also, the SyncThing and SMB transfers are still going.

Message 48 of 71
GWB3
Guide

I have four RN102 NAS Units doing the same.  On logging into the unit I get the normal screen that after a few seconds goes into a logging into the admin page. Once that clears and logs in again a few seconds and back into the log in screen.

Unfortunatley I departed from my normal procedure of only updating firmware on one unit and ony on the others once the first unit is operating sucessfully.  In this case all four were updated at the same time.

Message 49 of 71
GWB3
Guide

I have not had to move back in a firmware update.  I have 6.10.5 installed and need to re-install 6.10.3

Within the firmware where would I find the command to re-install 6.10.3?  Sorry but this is the first time I have had to consider this.

Thanks

George

Message 50 of 71
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements