× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to factory reset RN102 and install latest OS

dstsui
Aspirant

How to factory reset RN102 and install latest OS

Weeks after installing a new disk in this discussion RN102 broken after OS 6.10.4 update - NETGEAR Communities, the read/write performance of the NAS is back to what it once was, about 25MB/s. In one instance, it even stalled towards the end.when writing about 100 or so images. I think I need to bite the bullet to factory reset and install new OS. Can someone provide me with a step by step guide on how to perform the operation. All files have been daily backed up to a portable external HDD.

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: How to factory reset RN102 and install latest OS

@dstsui wrote:

Can someone provide me with a step by step guide on how to perform the operation. All files have been daily backed up to a portable external HDD.

First, make sure you have install packages for all your apps.  Also, uninstall any apps you no longer need before you execute step 1.

1. go to system->settings->configuration backup and save your configuraton settings
  2. click "perform factory default" in system->settings->update
  3. If you use XRAID, just wait for resync.  Otherwise, switch to flexraid, destroy the volume, and create your volumes (using the same names you used before)
  4. reinstall your apps
  5. restore your configuration file from system->settings->configuration backup
  6. load your files from your backup

The order of steps 4 and 5 matters, as the configuration files include some app configuration stuff.  Note some apps will need to be reconfigured (for instance, plex libraries will need to be rebuilt).

There might be a couple of settings that aren't restored from step 5. So it is a good idea to go through the various screens in the NAS and document your settings.  Making screenshots is a convenient way to do this.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements