× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NAS102 how to convert disk1 from Raid1 to JBOD without loosing data

newbtoo
Aspirant

NAS102 how to convert disk1 from Raid1 to JBOD without loosing data

I want to add a 2nd drive to NAS102. But I learned that it will not increase my space without cfirst converting Disk1 from RAID1 to FLEXRAID and selecting JBOD.

How to convert Disk1 to FLEXRAID/JBOD without loosing the data which already is on it?

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: NAS102 how to convert disk1 from Raid1 to JBOD without loosing data

@newbtoo wrote:

I want to add a 2nd drive to NAS102. But I learned that it will not increase my space without cfirst converting Disk1 from RAID1 to FLEXRAID and selecting JBOD.

How to convert Disk1 to FLEXRAID/JBOD without loosing the data which already is on it?

Go to the volume tab, and look at the XRAID control on the right of the screen.  If it has a green stripe on it, then click on it.  That turns XRAID off.

After that, you can hot-insert the disk.  Select it on the volume page, and if it isn't blank click on "format".  Then you can create a second volume for the second disk. 

Then you'll need either create new shares on that volume, or move some shares over from your existing volume.  The NAS backup jobs are a good way to do that.  Create a share with a different name, and use the backup job to copy the share.  Then delete the original share, and rename the one on the second disk to match the original.

While it is possible to create a single volume that spans both disks, I don't recommend doing that.  If either disk fails, you lose everything on both disks.  With two volumes, you only lose what's on the failed disk.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@newbtoo wrote:

Go to the volume tab, and look at the XRAID control on the right of the screen.  If it has a green stripe on it, then click on it.  That turns XRAID off.

After that, you can hot-insert the disk.  Select it on the volume page, and if it isn't blank click on "format".  Then you can create a second volume for the second disk. 

Then you'll need either create new shares on that volume, or move some shares over from your existing volume.  The NAS backup jobs are a good way to do that.  Create a share with a different name, and use the backup job to copy the share.  Then delete the original share, and rename the one on the second disk to match the original.

While it is possible to create a single volume that spans both disks, I don't recommend doing that.  If either disk fails, you lose everything on both disks.  With two volumes, you only lose what's on the failed disk.

Message 2 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

When you say drive 1 is RAID1, do you mean it has always been so and shows as such in the GUI, or that you initially put that second drive in with XRAID still on and the NAS at least began to sync with it, so now that first one shows as a degraded RAID1?

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements