× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New Models!

blue_max1
Aspirant

New Models!

Has anyone got any more info on the new 'D' range.
I realise these have desktop drives rather than enterprise drives and only 3yrs warranty, however, are they identical in every other way?

For example:
http://www.netgear.co.uk/business/produ ... D-200.aspx

The spec sheet just mentions Intel multi-core processor, so I'd really like confirmation before a possible purchase.

Hope someone has the inside knowledge!

Thank you.
Message 1 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: New Models! - no not new models just different disks

Yeah the disks have a shorter warranty. It's the same chassis, not a new model. Presumably due to the Thailand Floods enterprise drives became quite expensive so NetGear saw the need to provide systems with cheaper desktop drives.
Message 2 of 7
blue_max1
Aspirant

Re: New Models!

Thanks mdgm - thought you might know!

Sounds like a great idea. Two of my enterprise hard drives have failed in under three years, so I personally don't think they justify their vastly inflated prices. I've had better luck with standard desktop drives.

I really do wish Netgear would rethink their model names. I am sure many people will buy the 'old' model thinking they got a bargain price, without realising it was not the same (drive spec/warranty).
Message 3 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Looks like the warranty on the NAS chassis is the same. If desktop drives are included the warranty length for the drives though would be shorter than the length for the NAS itself.

The product pages for the products with desktop drives clearly indicate that desktop drives are used.
Message 4 of 7
blue_max1
Aspirant

Ah, that's good then.

Just adding the suffix D if you were not aware of the revised models might catch the unaware. I only say that because I saw one for sale and couldn't believe my luck until I delved further. Who really looks further that pro 6?

Not to say it is not a good deal, just not as good a deal.

Thanks for your quick responses.
Message 5 of 7
PapaBear1
Guide

Personally for me, the diskless model is a better choice and then I populate with drives I choose. I have purchased four of them and all are still running including a 5 year old NV+.
Message 6 of 7
blue_max1
Aspirant

PapaBear wrote:
Personally for me, the diskless model is a better choice and then I populate with drives I choose. I have purchased four of them and all are still running including a 5 year old NV+.

True enough, but I was being offered a new unopened box for a good price. Netgear don't always allow you to buy just the base unit with all the business features, but they do seem to now.

Thanks again for the responses - great forum!
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements