× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Pro Pioneer Drive Problem and More

jps11
Aspirant

Pro Pioneer Drive Problem and More

Hi,

I have a series of problems here with my Pro Pioneer unit, and here's the background:

1) Commands issued through Frontview would not work. For example, scheduled back-up jobs would not run and the shutdown command was ineffective. However, I could use the backup button to run a backup job or the power button to initiate a graceful shutdown.

2) I updated to RAIDiator 4.2.25, but this did not help the problem. Note that in order to update, I had to upload the local file and initiate the process from Frontview but then perform the shutdown and restart from the front panel. After performing the shutdown and restart from the front panel, I received the message that a previous run of a backup job is still running. No backup jobs were running, however, as all backup jobs were deleted in an attempt to get them to run from Frontview.

3) StephenB suggested I do an OS reinstall from the front panel boot menu. I did this, although it hung at one point and I had to do a forced shutdown and reboot.

4) When the system came back up, I had a notice that Disk 1 was dead. (Running 3 disks.)

5) I replaced Disk 1 today with a new, identical disk. I received notice in the logs that the disk was removed, that a new disk was detected, and that the data volume will be rebuilt with disk 1. Unfortunately, in the health screen it still indicates that the Disk 1 is dead. Therefore, I'm not sure if the actual rebuilding is occurring.

My questions:
a) How do I tell if Disk 1 is being rebuilt? (I'm tempted to do a graceful shutdown and power on from the front panel to see if that refreshes the state and starts the rebuild.)
b) Do I have a true problem with Disk 1, or is there a problem from the OS reinstall that rendered Disk 1 inoperative?
c) After I have the volume back up and running properly, I still need to figure out what is preventing backup jobs from running or shutdown commands from working.

Thanks!

Jeff

My info:
Pro Pioneer
RAIDiator 4.2.25
3 disks, 3TBea, X-RAID2
Message 1 of 5
jps11
Aspirant

Here's an update: I performed a graceful shutdown and pose on from the front panel and now Disk 1 is starting recovery (1% complete). Once this is rebuilt, I should be out of crisis mode.

There is definitely something running that is preventing new processes from running, like backups, shutdowns, resyncs, etc. Rebooting clears that problem and then the system moves on to the next process. That's the real problem here.

Help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jeff
Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Given the age of your system, it would be good to check the fullness of the OS partition.

Another approach is to back everything up, do a factory default, and rebuild the NAS from scratch.
Message 3 of 5
jps11
Aspirant

I last performed a factory default September 2012 when I updated drives, so it's not as old as you might think. But what's the best way to check fullness of OS partition?

Thanks,

Jeff
Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

df // -h
df // -h -i

The first command reports disk space use, the second reports inode use.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements