× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Problems setting up

Ricky_Maveety
Aspirant

Problems setting up

Some specs:

I've got a ReadyNAS NV+ V2.  It is running RAIDiator 5.3.13, and is hooked up via Ethernet to an ORBI router.  It is set up as an X-RAID2, using 4 4TB WD drives (on the approved list).

All drives are shown as healthy, and I have 10.8 TB of available space.

I am the only user on the system.  I can get into the admin page just fine.  On that page, I can see the backup and media shares.  What I cannot see is my own "home" share.  If I try to set it up, I get a message that it already exists.  But it does not show up on the admin page, or in the File Explorer.

The NAS itself does show up in File Explorer, but not my home share.  I shut the NAS down last night (to move it and the ORBI to a new location), and turned it back on this morning.  Still no home share shown.

I've got every share protocol imaginable set up.  I have made sure that SMB 1 is enabled.  User permissions are set to Everybody read/write.

So far, I haven't been able to move any files from my computer (Windows 10) to the NAS.  It's nice to look at, but I'd like to have some functionality.

Help??

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Problems setting up

@Ricky_Maveety wrote:

For some reason I thought (from a prior post) that the public shares and the "c" share would disappear when I logged on. 

C only appears when you log on with admin credentials. If you log on with Ricky (or with with anonymously) it won't. Public shares do not disappear, though seeing them doesn't mean you have rights to access the files and subfolders inside the share. If it's enough to block access for Ricky, then you can change the access in the dashboard to block access to the share contents.

I'm not sure why you want the public shares to disappear when you are logged in as Ricky.  NAS running 4.x.x and 6.x.x firmware give you the ability to "hide" a share.  You can still access the data if you know the path name, but it isn't shown.  However v2 NAS (running 5.3.x) don't have that particular feature.

There is a crude workaround though - you could move everything in the media folder(s) to a subfolder within each share.  Then you can set the subfolder as "hidden" using windows file explorer.  That would allow you to access the files as "Ricky" or anonymously if you knew the subfolder name. If you just browse into the share, the folder would appear to be empty.  Note you can configure windows to show you the "hidden" folders, so this doesn't provide real security.  It will prevent casual users from seeing the files, but that's it.

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 16

All Replies
Ricky_Maveety
Aspirant

AND, I think I solved my own problem.

I went into File Explorer, and tried to map it.  When I got into mapping, lo and behold, the home folder and my home folder in particular showed up.  So I mapped it as I drive.

Having done that, I am now able to connect to it and copy files over to it.  Although, it still doesn't show up anywhere on the Dashboard, or on the Configuration pages.  I guess I'll have to live with that, at least it's working.

Message 2 of 16
schumaku
Guru

The other configured shared folders are showing up in the Windows Explorer tree below the NAS?

Message 3 of 16
Ricky_Maveety
Aspirant

Yes, and I think in looking, I may have found the problem.  Mind you, this only shows up in Network Mapping, not in File Explorer.  In File Explorer all I see is Browse Folders (with sub-folders of backup and media), Music, Pictures, and Video.

If I go into File Explorer (for mapping), then I see the NAS with sub-folders of admin, backup, c, home, media.  If I double click on home, then I see another admin folder, and Ricky (mine).

So, I think the share structure (which I call the folder structure or directory structure) has gotten gorked.  If I go into Ricky, then I see all my sub-folders, and I can read and write to them.

Now, the question is, is it possible to fix those directories without resetting to factory defaults?  The reason I asked is that these drives took about 18 hours to sync, and I'd like to avoid doing that again.

Message 4 of 16
Ricky_Maveety
Aspirant

Oh, and I should explain ... when I say it's not showing up in File Explorer, but it is showing up in File Explorer for mapping ... what I mean is that it's not showing up in the app (Directory Opus) that I usually use to look at files.

Once I map it (actually using File Explorer), then it shows up in Directory Opus (and I was able to create my sub-directories in Directory Opus).  Sorry if that was confusing.  My bad.

Message 5 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@Ricky_Maveety wrote:

If I go into File Explorer (for mapping), then I see the NAS with sub-folders of admin, backup, c, home, media.  If I double click on home, then I see another admin folder, and Ricky (mine).

This is normal when you are mapping the NAS C drive with the NAS admin credentials.  If you use Ricky as the username (and it's password), then c and home will disappear.

Message 6 of 16
Ricky_Maveety
Aspirant

Now, here's where I'm going to sound really stupid.  I tried setting it up as Ricky for the username and with my password, and it keeps being rejected.  Am I supposed to do this through Dashboard, or Configuration (when I was setting up the user, it asked for my email, I put that in, and it asked for a password, and I know for certain what that is), so what am I missing?

One thing that I find interesting, is that while in the Security page, I show up as a user, and I also show up as a Secondary Member of the "user" group, if I look at the user group under the "Groups" tab, it has a space for Secondary Members, and that is blank.

I figure that I am approaching this from the wrong direction.  Although I can now use the NAS, I don't want to be fighting with the NAS configuration.  I've tried logging in from the browser (that was rejected), and I don't see any way to log in from Dashboard (which I understand is really for admin only ... although I am the admin).

Message 7 of 16
Ricky_Maveety
Aspirant

Example:  If I put \\NAS-A0-8D-08\home\Ricky in the address bar, it pulls up the directory, but not in Edge or any other browser.  If I put \\192.168.1.25\home\Ricky, same problem.  Nothing pops up to log me in, or do much of anything else.

It's a puzzlement.

Message 8 of 16
schumaku
Guru

@StephenB wrote:

This is normal when you are mapping the NAS C drive with the NAS admin credentials.  If you use Ricky as the username (and it's password), then c and home will disappear.

For a user with not much RAIDiator experience, please confirm:

• C is the complete storage volume (makes sense "normal" users don't have access to the volume root)? 
  • There is no user specific mapping for home, except for admin?
Message 9 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@Ricky_Maveety wrote:

Example:  If I put \\NAS-A0-8D-08\home\Ricky in the address bar, it pulls up the directory, but not in Edge or any other browser.  If I put \\192.168.1.25\home\Ricky, same problem.  Nothing pops up to log me in, or do much of anything else.

You are supposed to put this format into Windows File Explorer - putting it into the File Explorer address bar.

Also the correct path is \\NAS-A0-8D-08\Ricky (or \\192.168.1.25\Ricky)  You can only access home (and C) if you are using NAS admin credentials.  Entering \\NAS-A0-8D-08 (or \\192.168.1.25) into file explorer will give you the full list of shares (including Ricky if you are using the correct credentials).

You can examine (and change) the NAS credentials you are using with Windows using the Windows Credential Manager.  Enter credential in the windows search bar and you will see it.

@schumaku wrote:

For a user with not much RAIDiator experience, please confirm:

• C is the complete storage volume (makes sense "normal" users don't have access to the volume root)? 
  • There is no user specific mapping for home, except for admin?

Correct.  C is the default data volume for this particular NAS model .

C and Home are only shown in the share list if you are using NAS admin credentials.  In all cases only one "private" share (admin in this case) is shown in the share list - the one matching the credential used by the PC.

So if you are using NAS admin credentials there are three paths to the "private" admin folder:  \\nas-ip-address\admin, \\nas-ip-address\c\home\admin, and \\nas-ip-address\home\admin.  All are different paths to the same folder.  The other public shares have two paths (\\nas-ip-address\sharename, and \\nas-ip-address\c\sharename).

If you are using a normal NAS user credential (like Ricky) then you only see \\nas-ip-address\sharename - including all the public shares and the Ricky "private" share).

Message 10 of 16
Ricky_Maveety
Aspirant

Well, that explains it.  I will never cease to hate Microsoft for naming the browser and the file manager as *** "Explorer.  That has made me crazy since forever.

OK, I'll put it in the File Explorer bar and see what happens.  Meanwhile, at least I've found a way to get my files over, so I'm doing a happy dance there.  Thanks for the help.  I won't mark this as solved yet, until I've had a chance to do as you suggested.

Message 11 of 16
Ricky_Maveety
Aspirant

Did it.  Put in \\NAS-A0-8D-08\Ricky and saw my files in File Explorer.   However, you know what didn't happen?  I wasn't given an option to log in.  All the folders I hoped would go away are still there  (c, backup, media), and my share still doesn't show up in Dashboard.

The confusion stemmed from using my browser to get into the admin area in the first place.  I likely just thought that everything happened on a browser window.

But, (and I will try this as soon as the current file batch copies over to the NAS), do I need to reboot everything in order to get the shares to show up?  And, why do you think I am still not getting a log in window?  Shut down and reboot and try again?

(Making me think of the IT Crowd -- have you tried turning it off and on again??)

Message 12 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@Ricky_Maveety wrote:

Did it.  Put in \\NAS-A0-8D-08\Ricky and saw my files in File Explorer.   However, you know what didn't happen?  I wasn't given an option to log in. 

That just means that File Manager is using the correct username/password (Ricky).  Check that by opening the Windows Credential Manager.

@Ricky_Maveety wrote:

All the folders I hoped would go away are still there  (c, backup, media),

Those are public shares, so they wouldn't go away.  You could of course delete them from the dashboard.

Though if you are the only user of this NAS, I'd suggest putting all your data into public shares, and ignoring the Ricky share.

@Ricky_Maveety wrote:

But, (and I will try this as soon as the current file batch copies over to the NAS), do I need to reboot everything in order to get the shares to show up? 

You said above that the shares are showing up, so I am confused on what you mean here.

Message 13 of 16
Ricky_Maveety
Aspirant

Ah, I mean that only the Public Shares are showing up in Dashboard.  My private shares are not.

Although this is a media server (technically), it is really just a backup for my media, all of which is on separate USB drives.  People can access the movies from those drives, which are not secured.

As far as the remainder of the data on the NAS, it is also a backup of my artwork, and more importantly of my law office files, and I don't want anyone accessing the backups of those.

So, likely I will just delete the public shares, and not worry about the admin page except to check the general health of the NAS from time to time.

For some reason I thought (from a prior post) that the public shares and the "c" share would disappear when I logged on.  I would think it would be ok, then, to delete all NAS generated folders that aren't Ricky sub-folders?  (I might keep the subdirectory file structure that is set out in the public Music folder).

If so, I'll consider this as solved, and thanks again for the help.

Message 14 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@Ricky_Maveety wrote:

For some reason I thought (from a prior post) that the public shares and the "c" share would disappear when I logged on. 

C only appears when you log on with admin credentials. If you log on with Ricky (or with with anonymously) it won't. Public shares do not disappear, though seeing them doesn't mean you have rights to access the files and subfolders inside the share. If it's enough to block access for Ricky, then you can change the access in the dashboard to block access to the share contents.

I'm not sure why you want the public shares to disappear when you are logged in as Ricky.  NAS running 4.x.x and 6.x.x firmware give you the ability to "hide" a share.  You can still access the data if you know the path name, but it isn't shown.  However v2 NAS (running 5.3.x) don't have that particular feature.

There is a crude workaround though - you could move everything in the media folder(s) to a subfolder within each share.  Then you can set the subfolder as "hidden" using windows file explorer.  That would allow you to access the files as "Ricky" or anonymously if you knew the subfolder name. If you just browse into the share, the folder would appear to be empty.  Note you can configure windows to show you the "hidden" folders, so this doesn't provide real security.  It will prevent casual users from seeing the files, but that's it.

Message 15 of 16
Ricky_Maveety
Aspirant

And, of course, I have a v2 NAS running 5.3.13, however, I also have Windows set up to show me all hidden files.  I poke around in both the software and the hardware a lot (and have since I built my first PC in 1984).

No, this is fine as is.  You have been remarkably helpful.  Biggest problem for me was the confusion between the File Explorer and Internet Explorer (neither of which I use).  I will mark this as solved.  My NAS is happily chugging away, and all is well.

Thanks.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements