× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN104 degraded, replaced drive and new drive degraded

robbigelow
Aspirant

RN104 degraded, replaced drive and new drive degraded

Please help....

Readynas RN104 4 x 2TB Seagate NAS hard drives

Problem :2nd Volume degraded, seemed to happen after firmware update, I replaced the degraded volume with same size and type HDD, after system went through rebuild it now says Volume 2 degraded.
any suggestions much appreciated. I've only had this system less than 6 months.

Cheers
Rob
Message 1 of 13
vandermerwe
Master

Do you have 2 raid 1 flexraid volumes?
What firmware did you upgrade to?

What is the smart data of the disks in volume 2?
Message 2 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you send me your logs (see the link in my sig)?
Message 3 of 13
robbigelow
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
Can you send me your logs (see the link in my sig)?

Logs sent mdgm, hope I done it right...
Message 4 of 13
robbigelow
Aspirant

vandermerwe wrote:
Do you have 2 raid 1 flexraid volumes?
What firmware did you upgrade to?

What is the smart data of the disks in volume 2?

Not sure what you mean, I've not changed the raid from default raid 5
Firmware update was to version 6.2.2

thanks
Message 5 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

SMART info isn't being detected on the model you inserted. Have you checked that disk using SeaTools to see if it is good?
Message 6 of 13
robbigelow
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
SMART info isn't being detected on the model you inserted. Have you checked that disk using SeaTools to see if it is good?

I dont know what that is, sounds like I need a hard drive dock so I can connect to it through my laptop to check?
Message 7 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes. Or try another disk.
Message 8 of 13
vandermerwe
Master

robbigelow wrote:
Please help....

Problem :2nd Volume degraded, seemed to happen after firmware update, I replaced the degraded volume with same size and type HDD, after system went through rebuild it now says Volume 2 degraded.

Cheers
Rob

I mean that you have described your setup as having a 2nd volume, and the nas saying that Volume 2 is degraded. This implied to me that there is a Volume 1 and a volume 2; in other words that your setup is not the default raid 5, but perhaps 2 separate volumes.
I am now thinking you are using the word "volume" instead of "disk"
The readynas uses degraded to describe a volume that is still intact but is no longer redundant. A disk that has died is described as dead.

Clearly you have moved on from this now, and it appears that a disk was faulty and the replacement may be problematic too.
Message 9 of 13
robbigelow
Aspirant

vandermerwe wrote:
robbigelow wrote:
Please help....

Cheers
Rob

I mean that you have described your setup as having a 2nd volume, and the nas saying that Volume 2 is degraded. This implied to me that there is a Volume 1 and a volume 2; in other words that your setup is not the default raid 5, but perhaps 2 separate volumes.
I am now thinking you are using the word "volume" instead of "disk"
The readynas uses degraded to describe a volume that is still intact but is no longer redundant. A disk that has died is described as dead.

yeh, im a bit confused on the terminology, says volume is degraded but Disk 2 state is failed

Clearly you have moved on from this now, and it appears that a disk was faulty and the replacement may be problematic too.
Message 10 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Robbiegelow - You are saying your current volume status is degraded (with disk 2 failed)? That is, the replacement disk didn't solve the problem?

If so, either your replacement also failed, or there is something wrong with your RN104 hardware (perhaps an SATA bus issue). The best way to proceed is to try testing the disk with the NAS boot option. Then also test on a PC using seatools. If both fail, then you have a bad replacement. If the NAS fails and the PC says the disk is good, then you likely have problem with your RN104 hardware.

On the PC test - you can use a USB dock or USB adapter kit, or (if a desktop) temporarily install the disk internally (leaving your normal hard drives installed of course). If you have a PC with an eSata connection, you can also use the power supply from the USB adapter kit and a sata->eSata cable (which is what I generally do).

If both pass, the you probably need to contact Netgear support (even if they charge).
Message 11 of 13
robbigelow
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
Robbiegelow - You are saying your current volume status is degraded (with disk 2 failed)? That is, the replacement disk didn't solve the problem?

If so, either your replacement also failed, or there is something wrong with your RN104 hardware (perhaps an SATA bus issue). The best way to proceed is to try testing the disk with the NAS boot option. Then also test on a PC using seatools. If both fail, then you have a bad replacement. If the NAS fails and the PC says the disk is good, then you likely have problem with your RN104 hardware.

On the PC test - you can use a USB dock or USB adapter kit, or (if a desktop) temporarily install the disk internally (leaving your normal hard drives installed of course). If you have a PC with an eSata connection, you can also use the power supply from the USB adapter kit and a sata->eSata cable (which is what I generally do).

If both pass, the you probably need to contact Netgear support (even if they charge).

Thanks StephenB,
I'll give that a go, I've ordered a USB dock as I currently don't own a desktop pc either, probably a week or so before I get it.
very much appreciated,
cheers
Rob
Message 12 of 13
robbigelow
Aspirant

robbigelow wrote:
StephenB wrote:

Thanks StephenB,
I'll give that a go, I've ordered a USB dock as I currently don't own a desktop pc either, probably a week or so before I get it.
very much appreciated,
cheers
Rob

I managed to get a usb dock and ran seatools, both the old and new disk fail the tests..... guess is a warranty claim for the disks.
Thanks for your help
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements