× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RNDU2000 on OS6 : max hdd support, memory support, changing the ethrnet+USB card

ILoveYou
Aspirant

RNDU2000 on OS6 : max hdd support, memory support, changing the ethrnet+USB card

Dear ReadyNas users,

I have an old but still reliable RNDU2000 migrated to OS6 (it was delivered with radiator V4.2.19).

Memory was upgraded using a 2Gb Sodimm Kingston KVR1333D3S8S9.

Current configuration is 2 disk Seagate 3Tb in JBOD (2 separate volumes) with external backup using the front USB3.0

One of the disk just died.

I have to change it and would like to take this maintenance as an opportunity to make additional improvments.

I have 4 questions :

1- disk capacity : was the limit of 4Tb disk removed with OS6 or is that linked to hardware ? in the compatibility list here : https://kb.netgear.com/20641/ReadyNAS-Hard-Disk-Compatibility-List (tab legacy), the max disk capacity is 4Tb. But a- we know the compatibility list is not exhaustive (exemple : the died disk is an ST3000DM001 which is not listed but worked perfectly) b- Netgear does not support RNDUx000 swithed on OS 6.

So If one of you has the experience with going above the 4TB limit I am interested to read his comments.

In the best case I would like to use 2x Seagate 8Tb ST8000VN0022 RAID1. Do you think it could be supported ?

2- Is a memory upgrade possible with the new OS6, or is it and hardware limitation. When I added the Kingston memory, only very few SODIMM models were supported. Is it still the case ? And if possible will a memory upgrade bring significant improvment on data management ?

3- I have dissassembled completely the NAS in order to clean it and change the thermal paste. I noticed the rear 2x USB ports + 2x Ethernet is a plugged card. Do you know if it possible to change that card to the one wich was provided with the RNDU2000 next generation (If I remember correctly, it was 2x e-sata or 2x USB3 + 2x ethernet). If you have a netgear part number for that...

4- (picture) last question : I recently had the following error in logs : "System: V+12 voltage in enclosure Internal is out of spec. (10.72 V)." Do you think it can be linked to the diying disk or do you think it is something linked to an issue with the mother board ? I didn't find anything on that when googling it. Now that one disk is out, I will see if if it happens again..

Thank you for your help !! (Hope my english is not confusing... please ask if it not clear)

Frederic

Model: RNDU2000|ReadyNAS Ultra 2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 7
ILoveYou
Aspirant

Re: RNDU2000 on OS6 : max hdd support, memory support, changing the ethrnet+USB card

Hello,

we can consider topic 2- closed by this post here : https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-ReadyNAS-Users-General/Memory-test-ReadyNAS-Ultra-2/td-p/754622

RNDU2000 can support 4 Gb Memory but on 2 slots, and RNDU2000 has only one...

Have a good day,

Message 2 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: RNDU2000 on OS6 : max hdd support, memory support, changing the ethrnet+USB card

@ILoveYou wrote:

1- disk capacity : was the limit of 4Tb disk removed with OS6 or is that linked to hardware ? in the compatibility list here : https://kb.netgear.com/20641/ReadyNAS-Hard-Disk-Compatibility-List (tab legacy), the max disk capacity is 4Tb. But a- we know the compatibility list is not exhaustive (exemple : the died disk is an ST3000DM001 which is not listed but worked perfectly) b- Netgear does not support RNDUx000 swithed on OS 6.

So If one of you has the experience with going above the 4TB limit I am interested to read his comments.

In the best case I would like to use 2x Seagate 8Tb ST8000VN0022 RAID1. Do you think it could be supported ?

You can certainly go with larger disks; the ST8000VN0022 drives should work.  In fact they would have worked with 4.2.x firmware.  I don't have an Ultra, so I haven't done this myself.  But there are posts here from folks running 8 TB drives in the ultra - for instance here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-ReadyNAS-Users-General/WD-Red-8TB-WD80EFZX-working-on-ReadyNAS-...

With larger disks, the holes on the bottom of the tray won't all align with the ones on the disks.  But some will align, and that's enough to mount the disk securely.

@ILoveYou wrote:

2- And if possible will a memory upgrade bring significant improvment on data management ?

Currently shipping OS-6 ReadyNAS have at least 2 GB.  It will run with less, but I'd still suggest maxing the memory as part of the conversion.

@ILoveYou wrote:

Do you know if it possible to change that card to the one which was provided with the RNDU2000 next generation (If I remember correctly, it was 2x e-sata or 2x USB3 + 2x ethernet). If you have a netgear part number for that...

Netgear doesn't sell parts.  I don't know if using a part from another ReadyNAS would work or not. 

@ILoveYou wrote:

4- (picture) last question : I recently had the following error in logs : "System: V+12 voltage in enclosure Internal is out of spec. (10.72 V)." Do you think it can be linked to the dying disk or do you think it is something linked to an issue with the mother board ? 

The disk does use +12 of course. I guess there's a chance that it could be the disk, or possibly the power brick.  But it could be an issue with the system board - so this error is concerning.  Definitely keep an eye on it.

Note that you can migrate the disks to a newer OS-6 x86 NAS with no problem.

Message 3 of 7
ILoveYou
Aspirant

Hello Stephen, thank you for your answer. Everything is clear.

I will probably try with seagate 8Tb and let know. (Hope it will work because they are quite expensive..)

@StephenB wrote:

Note that you can migrate the disks to a newer OS-6 x86 NAS with no problem.

If I understand correctly, a volume can be taken out of an OS6 Nas and insalled  in an other OS6 NAS. Correct ? But I suppose we have to change all disks. Can it work for a 4 bays NAS, with 2 bays already installed, and we bring 2 new disks already formated ? I suppose not..

Message 4 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

Regarding swapping out the Ethernet/USB riser card, no, you cannot upgrade it.  It does not include all the harware that supports the interfaces, it mainly provides the physical connections.

Yes, you can move all drives from one OS6 NAS to another, including legacy.  

Under specific circumstances, you can move the drives from one NAS to another that already has drives installed and a volume exists..  I have gleaned this information form a number of experiments I have run, so I cannot gurarantee I have determined evey possibility.

1. The volumes cannot have the same name.  So, if you let XRAID format both volumes, they are both named "data", and you cannot combine them.  There is no provision to re-name a volume.
  2. You also canot have any shares with the same name, but they can be renamed before the export to not match any on the other volume.
  3. I think user folders are exempt from item 2 because you lose the personal folders on the moved volume.  While you lose access, the contents are not removed, AFAIK, so they just take up space unless you know how to go into SSH and fix that.  Best to remove contents before the export.
  4. Ditto #3 for apps.
  5. You must do an "export" of the volume being moved before moving it.  You set the other NAS to flex-RAID and then install the exported drives with power off.  An import occurs at power-on.  Note that once exported, a volume cannot again be made into a primary volume, it can only be added as secondary to another.  (Well, there is a round-about way to make it one, you add it as secondary, then destroy the primary.  Doing so does not recover apps or user folders that were once on it.)
Message 5 of 7
ILoveYou
Aspirant

Thank you for the detailed answers.

So no improvment possible on memory and connection side.

Next step for me is to try a ST8000NV0022 ; I will let you know if it works.

Hope the voltage issue is closed with the removed drive.

Have a good day,

Model: RNDU2000|ReadyNAS Ultra 2 Chassis only
Message 6 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

I do not know if the Ultra2 has an internal 12V regulator or relies strictly on the 12V from the power brick.  I rather suspect it has no true regulator, maybe just a zerner clamp in case of a power brick failure.  If that's the case then either your power supply is overloaded (perhaps by the drives), the brick is failing, or the circuitry that monitors the 12V is failing. Maybe see what happens after you swap out the drives. 

If the problem persists, replacement 12V power bricks are easy to find.  I recommend one rated for cctv cameras, not LED lighting, as they tend to have better regulation.  Couldn't hurt to bump the rating a bit to 6 or 8A.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements