× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RNDU6000 adding disk

omega99
Aspirant

RNDU6000 adding disk

upgraded RNDU6000 to OS6, now running 6.10.2

nas has 2 x 3tb sata 7200rpm & 4 x 2tb sata 5400rpm disks, pulled disk #5 to copy data onto while upgrade was performed.

raid group #1 has 5 disks(2 x 3tb & 3 x 2tb) raid 5
raid group #1 has 2 disks(2 x 3tb) raid 5

NAS is now synced, but cannot figure out how to add disk #5 2tb back into raid.

how do I add disk #5 into raid - I assume it would go into group 1 - which would make 4 x 2tb disks

Model: RNDU6000|ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 6
omega99
Aspirant

when i go to expand the 2tb drive i get the following error message

"expand for RAID 50 or RAID 60 requires the selected disks to be divisible by the number of RAID groups.

failed to expand volume.

code: 14007500022"

Model: A6100|WiFi USB Mini Adapter, RNDU6000|ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Chassis only
Message 2 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@omega99 wrote:

nas has 2 x 3tb sata 7200rpm & 4 x 2tb sata 5400rpm disks, pulled disk #5 to copy data onto while upgrade was performed.

raid group #1 has 5 disks(2 x 3tb & 3 x 2tb) raid 5
raid group #1 has 2 disks(2 x 3tb) raid 5

You set it up in flexraid mode? 

Do you have one volume or two?

Will the system let you switch to xraid?

Also, you should have 5x2TB RAID-5 in the first group, and 2x1TB RAID-1 in the second group. 

It looks like you might have tried to add a group instead of choosing expand.  Though it is possible that FlexRaid is expecting you to add a 3TB drive.  There is a comment in the optimization guide that suggests that:

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/storage/WP-ReadyNAS-FlexRAID-Optimization-Guide.pdf wrote:

If your volume has more than one RAID group, you’ll need to add at least 1
drive per RAID group. (page 7)

If the system will let you switch to XRAID, then I think you can just hot-insert the disk, and add it to the array.  You'll likely need to format it on the volume tab first.

You could also copy off the data again (this time to a 3 TB drive), and destroy the current volume, and create a new one with 4x2TB+1x3TB using XRAID.  Then hot-insert the remainin 3 TB drive.

If you can back up the data, then you could try using ssh to manually expand group 1.  @Sandshark can probably give you the commands you'd need - but you'd be on your own, and he can't test them for your specific situation.  Doing this incorrectly could easily result in loss of data.

Message 3 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

The NAS is clearly confused, as you don't have RAID 50 or 60.  Your best bet, if it lets you, is to switch back to XRAID.  But, I rather suspect that's not going to work for much the same reason the expand doesn't.  There do appear to be some holes in the XRAID logic that have evaded Netgear's testing, and I think some of that same logic is used for FlexRAID expansion.  They just can't test every drive combination.

If you post the content of mdstat.log and lsblk.log (from the downloaded log .zip), we can see what you do currently have and whether you can re-add the 2TB via SSH.  Please make sure all drives are installed and the NAS is recently re-booted when you download the logs, as drive designations can change on re-boot.

The only issue is that it still may not restore the ability of the NAS to figure out the next expansion step, if there ever is one.  So if this is a convenient time to backup, destroy, and restore, it's your best solution.

Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

The NAS is clearly confused, as you don't have RAID 50 or 60. 

Well, if you look in the table on page 11  in the optimization quite ( https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/storage/WP-ReadyNAS-FlexRAID-Optimization-Guide.pdf ) you will see a path where the NAS will attempt to expand from RAID-5 to RAID 50.  I'm thinking that might be related to this error.

Message 5 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

It may well be the path that's hitting a limitation in the expansion logic, but is giving the wrong error message.  I've seen other wrong error messages in my expansion experiments.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements