× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RNDX400E compatiblity

nazim110
Aspirant

RNDX400E compatiblity

I have a netgear readynas nvx rddx400e nas with 3x2TB WD Red drives configured as RAID5.

Last night, I tried to power off the device by holding down the button on the front. I did power off but not before making two loud popping noises and a strong burning smell from the device. 

At this point I have a few choices:

- get the psu replaced  OR

- get the main board replaced OR 

- get a new NAS

the first two i can handle, but this question is about the last choice:

which newer ReadyNAS device is backwards compatible to my failed NAS? what I specifically want is to purchase the newer device, mount the old drives in it and boot to get to my data. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Model: ReadyNAS RNDX400E|ReadyNAS NVX Pioneer Chassis only
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@nazim110 wrote:

what I specifically want is to purchase the newer device, mount the old drives in it and boot to get to my data. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Newer ReadyNAS use a different disk organization (and a different filesystem).

However, a new x86 ReadyNAS can mount your disks as read-only, and let you offload the data.  Then you could do the new system setup, and restore the data from the backup.

Those NAS include the ReadyNAS RN424, RN524, and RN624.  There are also 6 and 8 bay models.

Details on the procedure are here: https://kb.netgear.com/29957/ReadyNAS-Migrating-disks-from-RAIDiator-4-2-to-ReadyNAS-OS-6-x86

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@nazim110 wrote:

what I specifically want is to purchase the newer device, mount the old drives in it and boot to get to my data. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Newer ReadyNAS use a different disk organization (and a different filesystem).

However, a new x86 ReadyNAS can mount your disks as read-only, and let you offload the data.  Then you could do the new system setup, and restore the data from the backup.

Those NAS include the ReadyNAS RN424, RN524, and RN624.  There are also 6 and 8 bay models.

Details on the procedure are here: https://kb.netgear.com/29957/ReadyNAS-Migrating-disks-from-RAIDiator-4-2-to-ReadyNAS-OS-6-x86

Message 2 of 4
nazim110
Aspirant

can a readynas 422 be used to offload the data? Please advise.

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@nazim110 wrote:

can a readynas 422 be used to offload the data? Please advise.

Yes, that would work also since there are only two disks in the NVX.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements