× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ready NAS 314 - Disk Fail - No Volumes Exist

paulgent
Aspirant

Ready NAS 314 - Disk Fail - No Volumes Exist

Having been away fro 2 weeks I have returned today to find the NAS saying disk 4 degraded - I took the disk out and reseated it - and now the system takes about 10 minutes to book (raid 5 and encrypted) and when i carried out a disk test it now says disk 3 fail.

On the GUI it says to Remove inactive volumes to use the disk  Disk #1,2,3,4

Overview says healthy - go into volumes and all 4 are red

Data is 0 - Free is 0

The Redaynas is known as Key_2 - this now shows on the volume as Key_2-0

Wed Jan 4 2017 12:26:50 Disk: Disk in channel 4 (Internal) changed state from RESYNC to ONLINE.
Wed Jan 4 2017 12:26:50 Disk: Disk in channel 3 (Internal) changed state from ONLINE to FAILED.
Wed Jan 4 2017 12:26:49 Volume: The resync operation finished on volume Key_2. However, the volume is still degraded.
Wed Jan 4 2017 12:11:33 Volume: Resyncing started for Volume Key_2.
Wed Jan 4 2017 12:11:19 Disk: Disk Model:WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0 Serial:WD-WMC4N0D60C5Z was added to Channel 4 of the head unit.
Wed Jan 4 2017 11:50:22 Disk: Disk Model:WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0 Serial:WD-WMC4N0D60C5Z was removed from Channel 4 of the head unit.
Wed Jan 4 2017 1:00:27 Volume: Volume Key_2 is Degraded.
Wed Jan 4 2017 0:40:28 snapshot: Smart Snapshot successfully deleted snapshot 2016_12_07__00_00_42 from share or LUN Sarah.
Wed Jan 4 2017 0:40:25 snapshot: Smart Snapshot successfully deleted snapshot 2016_12_07__00_00_40 from share or LUN Mail_Current.

In windows explorer all the folders are there but I can not access them

Firmware is 6.4.2

Most of the data is back up - but some not - so i do need to access the data

Any help will be appreciated

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Contact support

Message 2 of 12
lospecht
Guide

Had the same problem a few weeks ago with my NAS 314.  Contacted Netgear Support and they had me set it up in Debug Mode and they spent 2 days looking at it.  When they called me back, they said the hard drives had failed (I had 3 drives with ATA Errors and the No Volumes Exist message).  They sent me 3 new replacement drives and that didn't fix the problem.  I was getting ATA errors on 2 of the new drives before the initial synchronization completed.  I had to pay Netgear $75 for that bad advice.   I figured it must be the crappy Toshiba drives so I ordered 4 new WD drives and then 2 more when I kept getting ATA Errors.  Contacted support again at the advice of a people on this forum who said the chassis could be the problem.  Support reviewed the logs again and this time they said the chassis was bad.  They sent me a new chassis and that fixed the problem.  I haven't had a single ATA Error since.  Not sure why they couldn't figure that out the first time I sent them the logs.  Incompetence is my guess.  The guy I was talking too didn't seem to confident. 

Unfortunately, the data on the original drives was gone.  Someone on this forum said I must have done a factory reset which would have wiped the drives.  I don't recall doing a factory reset.  The only thing I did was set the box up in Debug Mode per the instructions from Netgear Support. I put my original drives back in and they synchronized without errors but still had the No Volumes Exist message along with the red and the message to remove them.   Good Luck.

Message 3 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You can send me your logs if you like (see the Sending Logs link in my sig).

Message 4 of 12
paulgent
Aspirant

Thanks - just emailed across

Paul

Message 5 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

This looks like a data recovery situation. You should contact support.

One disk has some current pending sectors and another has some reallocated sectors. Both of those have dropped out of the array.

Message 6 of 12
paulgent
Aspirant

Which is the best way to contact support please

Message 7 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You'd fill in the contact us form and then follow one of the options to turn it into a case.

Message 8 of 12
paulgent
Aspirant

After 3 days I have had NO REPLY from support and today when I try to put a new case in the web page errors 😞

I have today purchased 2 new disks for the machine to see if I can re-build any of the drives - I first of all replaced Drive 3 to see if this would kick start a re-build - but nothing happened and then put back the old disk 3 and then replaced disk 4 - again nothing happened.

The box takes about 10 minutes to re-boot and the old directory structure shows via windows explorer but I can not access any of the folders

Can you help at all please - as support so far has been a complete non-starter

Paul

Message 9 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I see no cases whatsoever have been opened for this device. Your purchase date is in the range for lifetime (online) chat support so you should choose the live chat option.

Trying to fix this problem yourself if it makes any difference is only likely to make it less likely that your data is recoverable. Blindly replacing the disks and hoping this will resolve a problem like this is not the solution.

Message 10 of 12
paulgent
Aspirant

Everytime I try and access online chat the link says unavailable

Message 11 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Are you using the account you registered the RN314 to?

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements