× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 102 added new drive

KenPC
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 102 added new drive

I have a 2 Bay ReadyNAS configured with 1 2TB drive with a volume configured as JBOD (Raid1). I added a new 6TB drive in the second bay. (See attached screenshot)

Will this increase my storage or only add redundancy? The intention was to add storage as I do not need redundancy (the files are not important.)

If this will not work, what's the best way to change it to give me the total storage of the two drives added up.

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
KenPC
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS 102 added new drive

weirdThe NAS is my homes Plex server so I only want capacity and if data is lost it's no big deal.

I did fix my issue. Here's what I did. And I encountered some weird issues.

1.) I wanted to completely reinstall the firmware and start from scratch. So I used the USB Boot method (recovery tool). The first USB stick wasn't working so I tried another drive and it worked. The Nas shut down by itself where the first USB drive it wouldn't, it would just sit there.

2.) When I tried logging back in, it still accepted my old admin password so I was like wtf mate? I thought reflashing the firmware would take it to completely new. I was wrong (more on that in a sec)

3.) There was no setup process and when I tried to create a volume across both drives it would error with code 14003010000. Googling the problem led me down the path of seeing if my new drive was DOA (SPOILER ALERT it's not)

4.) I removed the old 2TB drive and left the new 6TB one in and booted up the nas and VOILA! The web page greeted me as if it was a new setup of the entire device. Weird. Anyways, moving on.

5.) I took the old 2TB drive to my computer to format it in case that was causing an issue.(it was)

6.) powered down the nas and plugged in both drives. Booted up and formatted both using the webGUI

7.) Selected the 6TB drive by itself and created a JBOD volume.

8.) After the volume was created, I selected the 2TB drive and it gave me the option to add it to the volume.

9.) ?

10.) Profit!!!

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
KenPC
Aspirant

It seems what I'm going to have to do is backup the data, destroy the volume and create a JBOD volume that spans across both drives, then restore the data.

Is this the best solution to get what I want?

Message 2 of 4
StephenB
Guru

First, the mistake you made was that you didn't turn XRAID off before you inserted the new drive.  XRAID always maintains RAID redundancy.  If you see a green stripe on the XRAID control on the volume page, then XRAID is enabled.

To do what you want, you will need to switch to FlexRAID.

@KenPC wrote:

It seems what I'm going to have to do is backup the data, destroy the volume and create a JBOD volume that spans across both drives, then restore the data.

Is this the best solution to get what I want?

Not quite.   The best solution (IMO) is to create two volumes, one for each drive.  Then put some shares on each.  

If you have only one volume, then you'll lose all the data when either disk fails.  If you have two volumes, then you'd only lose the data on the failed disk.  

Though since you are starting over, I'd suggest just using the 6 TB drive, and not use the 2 TB one at all.  Then when it runs out of space, you can add a second volume with a larger disk.  The logistics for adding a new volume to an empty slot are simpler than destroying a volume, and creating a new one.

Message 3 of 4
KenPC
Aspirant

weirdThe NAS is my homes Plex server so I only want capacity and if data is lost it's no big deal.

I did fix my issue. Here's what I did. And I encountered some weird issues.

1.) I wanted to completely reinstall the firmware and start from scratch. So I used the USB Boot method (recovery tool). The first USB stick wasn't working so I tried another drive and it worked. The Nas shut down by itself where the first USB drive it wouldn't, it would just sit there.

2.) When I tried logging back in, it still accepted my old admin password so I was like wtf mate? I thought reflashing the firmware would take it to completely new. I was wrong (more on that in a sec)

3.) There was no setup process and when I tried to create a volume across both drives it would error with code 14003010000. Googling the problem led me down the path of seeing if my new drive was DOA (SPOILER ALERT it's not)

4.) I removed the old 2TB drive and left the new 6TB one in and booted up the nas and VOILA! The web page greeted me as if it was a new setup of the entire device. Weird. Anyways, moving on.

5.) I took the old 2TB drive to my computer to format it in case that was causing an issue.(it was)

6.) powered down the nas and plugged in both drives. Booted up and formatted both using the webGUI

7.) Selected the 6TB drive by itself and created a JBOD volume.

8.) After the volume was created, I selected the 2TB drive and it gave me the option to add it to the volume.

9.) ?

10.) Profit!!!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements