× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 104 and macOS Mojave 10.14.4 very slow access

phantomwcs
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 104 and macOS Mojave 10.14.4 very slow access

Firmware 6.10.0

WD SATA 3TB x3

2.93 TB used, 2.34 TB free

MacBook Pro running Mojave 10.14.4

Using smb access to several shares. Fpr example: smb://PEARL01._smb._tcp.local/Documents

I am seeing very slow access via mac's Finder. It will time to display the contents of a directory. I often also get a "verifying file" popup. In searching I found many threads on disabling SMB and using AFP, but now it seems SMB is the only option for mac. Most fixes seems to be for older verions of OSX, although I did have this issue under High Sierra. Just suffered through it. I am not very technically adept with macOS, much better in Windows.

Thanks for any advice!

Roger

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 3
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @phantomwcs, as the RN104 is pretty short on resources with the more recent OS releases, you might want to check options to increase performance and stability of that nas in general. Behind the following link are some recommendations based on my own experiences with this type of ReadyNas throughout the last few years. Feel free to apply whatever might suit your needs.

Kind regards

https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Idea-Exchange/Improving-performance-and-stability-of-RN104...

Message 2 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Roger,

@phantomwcs wrote:

I am seeing very slow access via mac's Finder. It will time to display the contents of a directory. I often also get a "verifying file" popup. In searching I found many threads on disabling SMB and using AFP, but now it seems SMB is the only option for mac

For a while, Apple had the (not so) brilliant idea to force enable SMB signing on the (up to 10.13.3) - this is what made up the idea changing to AFP does creatre a faster connection aain in the past - starting from 10.13.4 this default was chaned again (hey Netgear, it is possible to change specs and implementation when they are causing bad user impression!). Worth checking that SMB signing is disabled anyway ->  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205926 

MacOS does still support AFP - for legacy connections only - but it does not give the option if there are Bonjour annoucements forthe same host (NAS) with both SMB and AFP, making SMB the default.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements