× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Ultra 6 doesn't boot - Stuck on "ReadyNAS" prompt screen

taceto12
Tutor

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra 6 doesn't boot - Stuck on "ReadyNAS" prompt screen

Hey folks,

I recently purchased a previously owned ReadyNAS RND 6A and am having this exact same problem.  When I initially set it up I downloaded and installed the latest firmware update and it was working fine with two 8TB drives.  Then this past weds I walked in and saw the until had unexpectedly shut down in the middle of the night.  I powered it back up and it now won't boot past the ReadyNAS display.  With or without disks it's the same.  I tried removing the disks and using the reset button on powerup with no change.  

It seems what I'm experiencing is  the vpd file issue based on everything I read here. Would there be anyone here kind enough to help.

Thanks in advance

Tony

Message 26 of 41
Sandshark
Sensei

Can you boot into support mode via the reset button menu?  If not, the VPD is not your (at least only) issue.

There are many things that can cause the ReadyNAS to not boot.  On the legacy 6-bay units like yours, a failing power supply is a typical cause.  All it takes for the unit to display "ReadyNAS" is the 5V, the motherboard doesn't even have to get past POST.

Message 27 of 41
taceto12
Tutor

Model# RND-6A

Firmware 6.10.8

Serial# *2EE40CR4002B2*

Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it. 

I can't get to any menu at all, with drives or without drives installed. It simply sits there displaying ReadyNAS.   Is the PS for these available for replacement? 

Message 28 of 41
taceto12
Tutor

Come to think of it the unit has powered off by itself a bunch of times since I've had it (only about a week).  The first time it did that led to the problems I'm having now.  Before that it was running fine and I was migrating data to it from another NAS.  It's also powered off several times since then when hanging at the ReadyNAS message so that behavior  could also certainly signal a bad PS so that's what I'll focus on.  Again, thank you!!

Message 29 of 41
Sandshark
Sensei

he supply is a standard SFX form factor, though the main 24-pin cable is longer than typical and it has 3 4-pin Molex connectors for the SATA backplane.  A 5in (13cm) or so extender will take care of one and some Molex Y cables or SATA to Molex adapters the other.  There are supplies for sale on eBay that already have the necessary cable modifications.

While the original is a 300W one, I recommend at least a 400W because the original has more 12V than a typical 300W one does.

If you have a "spare" ATX supply (maybe pull one from an old PC temporarily), you can connect it externally just to see if that's the issue before you buy one that will fit internally.

RDN-6A is not a model number, it's a chassis style.  Do you have an RNDP6000-100 (Pro Business Edition), RNDP6000-200 (Pro6), RNDP600E (Pro Pioneer edition), RNDU6000 (Ultra6), or RNDU600P (Ultra6 Pro)?  Note that the zeros may be replaced with numbers if the unit shipped with drives.  All of them use the same supply, but when asking other questions, those will be the models users will be expecting.

Message 30 of 41
taceto12
Tutor

Unfortunately the Model number field is blank.  I have just three numbers on the face plate:

Serial number

NIC1 mac address

NIC2 mac address

I believe its an ultra 6 but until I can get it back up and running I can't be sure. 

Update:

New PS is on order

Message 31 of 41
StephenB
Guru

@taceto12 wrote:

I believe its an ultra 6 but until I can get it back up and running I can't be sure. 

Try looking for another part number on the chassis somewhere that starts with RND.

Message 32 of 41
taceto12
Tutor

Found another sticker that had looked to me like an inventory sticker put on by a previous owner.  After looking at it closer it seems like it was applied at the factory and reads as follows:

FW.x86-V.4.2.15

That's it. There's nothing else on the chassis on on the case sides/top/bottom

Message 33 of 41
StephenB
Guru

@taceto12 wrote:

FW.x86-V.4.2.15

FWIW, This suggests the NAS was manufactured in late 2010 or early 2011.  

Message 34 of 41
Sandshark
Sensei

When you open the unit to access the power supply, is the main board installed such that you see the top of the board or the bottom?  On the Ultra6, you'll see the bottom facing outward.  The others all use the same motherboard, oriented with the top facing outward.

Message 35 of 41
taceto12
Tutor

The system board was facing inward and the RAID backplane was plugged into it at two connection points.  That seems to confirm I have an Ultra 6.

Thank you!

Message 36 of 41
taceto12
Tutor

To be clear, the bottom of the board was facing outward

Message 37 of 41
Sandshark
Sensei

Yup, an Ultra6.  Does it already have 2GB of RAM?  If not, I suggest you increase to at least that.  Two 2GB sticks are very cheap these days, so going to 4GB is worth it, IMHO.

Message 38 of 41
taceto12
Tutor

It actually has 1/1GB and 1/2GB sticks in it

Message 39 of 41
taceto12
Tutor

a total of 3GB

Message 40 of 41
Sandshark
Sensei

Should be plenty.  The motherboard doesn't have dual-channel RAM, so the sticks being mismatched has no impact.

Message 41 of 41
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 40 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements