× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas 104 remove bonded network

Tinnsoldaten
Aspirant

ReadyNas 104 remove bonded network

How to remove bonded network?

I tried in the menu to select delete but after regaining access to menu, bond0 is still there. 

Second question.
network setup.jpg
I just got new TV, issue is that LAN cable is too short.It no longer reach with ISP router that is hub for all network components in house. Its now LAN connected via MESH unit, from NAS port 1 to port on mesh and next port on mesh to TV.Port 0 on NAS is connected to ISP router. This allow TV to get acces via LAN to internet, but I dont see NAS.
Any way I can setup NAS so that I regain full connection with TV-NAS-PC ? 

As it is now with the current setup, I see NAS drop out from network from time to time. It halts the use of apps that are using storage in NAS.

PC have LAN connection and Wifi

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 20

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@Tinnsoldaten wrote:

What switch would you choose this purpose ? 

D-Link Web Smart DGS-1210-10P  PoE Switch

or 

TP-Link TL-SG108E Unmanaged, QoS, IGMP Snooping

The TP-Link would be fine - no need for a managed switch.  If course if you have PoE devices, then a PoE switch would make sense - but otherwise would just waste money.  

The Netgear GS108 would also work.

View solution in original post

Message 20 of 20

All Replies
Tinnsoldaten
Aspirant

network setup.jpg

Message 2 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@Tinnsoldaten wrote:

Port 0 on NAS is connected to ISP router. This allow TV to get acces via LAN to internet, but I dont see NAS.
Any way I can setup NAS so that I regain full connection with TV-NAS-PC ? 

The Deco M5 is a router, so you are double-routing.  That's why the TV isn't finding the NAS.

Options are 

• disable routing on the Deco (not sure if this is possible - I'm not seeing it in the manual)
  • connect all your devices to the Deco, and disable the WiFi in the ISP router.

@Tinnsoldaten wrote:

How to remove bonded network?

I tried in the menu to select delete but after regaining access to menu, bond0 is still there. 

What firmware are you running on the RN104?

Any warnings about the OS (root) partition being full?

Message 3 of 20
Tinnsoldaten
Aspirant

This is my current setup
current network setup.jpg

Message 4 of 20
Tinnsoldaten
Aspirant

I am thinking of placing something instead of mesh next to tv , switch maybe, I think that might solve the issue with seeing NAS, not sure, my networking skills are rusty... 

The Deco only have 2 ports , I need 4 in to manage. 

About disabling router function, if I leave Deco without power, will it become a switch ? 

My NAS have latest firmware. 6.10.6

Yes, I have a  less than 10% capasity message in log

About that, I was deleting loads of files from NAS, but no change in size free. 

Message 5 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@Tinnsoldaten wrote:

This is my current setup

Is routing enabled on the Deco?

What IP address range are you using for the Deco?  Also what address range are you using for the ISP router?

What firmware is running on the RN104?

No matter how the Deco is set up, having bonding enabled on the RN104 is also going to be a problem. 

But I am still thinking that double-routing is getting in the way here, especially if the TV is using DLNA.  That won't go through a NAT firewall (and the Deco is providing that if it is in router mode).

FWIW, I also double-route, but everthing is connected to my inner router (which is an Orbi mesh).

Message 6 of 20
Tinnsoldaten
Aspirant

current network setup with IP.jpg

Message 7 of 20
Tinnsoldaten
Aspirant

Taking power from the mesh connected to TV did not work, just lost connection all together. 

Im wondering about taking care of the space issue on my NAS, then try solve the bonding issue. 

I did see NAS on TV before I managed to enable bonded network cards. 

Message 8 of 20
Tinnsoldaten
Aspirant

NAS log.jpg

Volume: Less than 10% of volumes data's capacity is free. Data's performance is degraded and risk running out of space.
To improve performance and stability, you must add capacity or free space. 

Why I cant see more free space when deleting files on NAS?

Message 9 of 20
Tinnsoldaten
Aspirant

Deco have IP 10.0.0.1

and ISP have : 85.167.249.82

Message 10 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@Tinnsoldaten wrote:

This would be the ISP WAN address (assigned to Telenor in Norway).  What is the LAN range?  192.168.x.x?  Or something else?

@Tinnsoldaten wrote:

Volume: Less than 10% of volumes data's capacity is free. Data's performance is degraded and risk running out of space.

This is the data volume capacity, not the root volume.  Still it is a concern, and requires prompt attention - more critical than fixing your network..

Likely you have snapshots enabled.  Try deleting the oldest snapshots (or maybe delete all of them), and then run a balance.  If you've never run a balance, that could take quite a while (e.g., days).

@Tinnsoldaten wrote:

Thx.

@Tinnsoldaten wrote:

About disabling router function, if I leave Deco without power, will it become a switch ? 

What do you mean about leaving the Deco without power???  Power isn't related to the routing functions.

If you disable the routing in the Deco, then the LAN ports will function as a switch, and the WiFi will act as a Wireless Access Point.  IP addresses will be supplied by the ISP router. 

If you do this, you need to disconnect the second ethernet port in the RN104 (leaving bonding enabled for now).

Message 11 of 20
Tinnsoldaten
Aspirant

@Tinnsoldaten wrote:

This would be the ISP WAN address (assigned to Telenor in Norway).  What is the LAN range?  192.168.x.x?  Or something else?

Network wise, I got it to work as wanted. Sollution was to disable ISP wifi and use only Deco M5 Mesh for network connection between TV - NAS - Computer
In loft , the ISP router is placed together with NAS. 

ISP have cable connection to my network printer, my computer and the main Deco M5 Mesh unit in loft. 

From the Deco M5 Mesh unit  cable go to et0 on NAS

I have one Deco M5 Mesh unit next to TV, I have wireless internet connection in use on TV, but also an option to use cable via this Deco M5 mesh unit to TV and one cable going to ISP router. 
Have not played around enough yet , but for now, I see NAS in PC and on TV.
Some strange behaviour I see, I was able to see a full movie from NAS with smooth operation. But on PC, the sharing client i had running was giving read from disc errors 

I have no problem getting access to NAS now from TV, but I dont see NAS in PC in network listing, but see it in this computer in explorer.

Listed as network placements 

@Tinnsoldaten wrote:

This is the data volume capacity, not the root volume.  Still it is a concern, and requires prompt attention - more critical than fixing your network..

Likely you have snapshots enabled.  Try deleting the oldest snapshots (or maybe delete all of them), and then run a balance.  If you've never run a balance, that could take quite a while (e.g., days).

I deleted all the snapshots and got 1 TB more space , but still I have a 30% warning in log. Not sure how to do the balancing thing, might do it before going to work offshore, I got like 5 TB on NAS so guessing if I never done it before, it might take some time... 

@Tinnsoldaten wrote:

Thx.

@Tinnsoldaten wrote:

What do you mean about leaving the Deco without power???  Power isn't related to the routing functions.

I was thinking of hub I think, those become like switch if you take power form them. Did something like this many years ago. 

It was just a thing to test, didnt work. 

If you disable the routing in the Deco, then the LAN ports will function as a switch, and the WiFi will act as a Wireless Access Point.  IP addresses will be supplied by the ISP router. 

If you do this, you need to disconnect the second ethernet port in the RN104 (leaving bonding enabled for now).
Im using only et0 on NAS

My big mystery now is how to remove bonding of nic? 
And having stable access to files from PC to NAS

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 12 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@Tinnsoldaten wrote:

I have no problem getting access to NAS now from TV, but I dont see NAS in PC in network listing, but see it in this computer in explorer.

Listed as network placements 

Those listings are a bit hit-or-miss.  Generally I just enter \\nas-name or \\nas-ip-address in explorer.  Though my wife prefers shortcuts, so I've set up shortcuts to the shares she uses on her desktop.

@Tinnsoldaten wrote:

Not sure how to do the balancing thing, might do it before going to work offshore, I got like 5 TB on NAS so guessing if I never done it before, it might take some time... 

Go to the volume page, and then right-click on the settings wheel.  Balance will be one of the choices.  If there's a lot to do, it will take a long time (and the NAS will be sluggish).  So if there's a time when you won't be using it heavily, that would be idea.

@Tinnsoldaten wrote:

Im using only et0 on NAS

My big mystery now is how to remove bonding of nic? 
And having stable access to files from PC to NAS

When you say "stable access" - is this only about the list in explorer?  Or is it about the errors you mentioned when using the sharing client?

Clearing the bonding is a bit of a puzzle.  One option is to engage paid Netgear support - they can do it remotely. But you will need to purchase a service contract.  Another thing you could try is doing an OS reinstall from the boot menu.  That should reset the network to its default configuration (DHCP with no bonding).  It will also reset the admin password back to password, and it will disable volume quota.

Before you try that - can you download the log zip file from the logs page?  Then open volume.log.  Towards the end, you will see a secton that starts like this:

=== df -h ===
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev             10M  4.0K   10M   1% /dev
/dev/md0        4.0G  653M  3.0G  18% /
tmpfs           3.9G     0  3.9G   0% /dev/shm

Let us know what you see on the /dev/md0 line.  That's the OS partition - I want to make sure it isn't getting full before you try the OS reinstall.

Message 13 of 20
Tinnsoldaten
Aspirant

About explorer, with apps I cant get a valid path to files stored on NAS anymore. I can find files on NAS in explorer. 
But my NAS is no longer in the network items list also. 

explorer access.jpg

Comm between TV and NAS has no issues. 

=== df -h ===
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev 10M 4.0K 10M 1% /dev
/dev/md0 4.0G 656M 3.1G 18% /
tmpfs 249M 0 249M 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 249M 2.1M 247M 1% /run
tmpfs 125M 1.5M 123M 2% /run/lock
tmpfs 249M 0 249M 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/md127 5.5T 4.3T 1.3T 78% /data
/dev/md127 5.5T 4.3T 1.3T 78% /home
/dev/md127 5.5T 4.3T 1.3T 78% /apps
/dev/md127 5.5T 4.3T 1.3T 78% /var/ftp/Music
/dev/md127 5.5T 4.3T 1.3T 78% /var/ftp/Pictures
=== df -i ===
Filesystem Inodes IUsed IFree IUse% Mounted on
udev 63125 439 62686 1% /dev
/dev/md0 65536 13509 52027 21% /
tmpfs 63579 1 63578 1% /dev/shm
tmpfs 63579 575 63004 1% /run
tmpfs 63579 29 63550 1% /run/lock
tmpfs 63579 9 63570 1% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/md127 0 0 0 - /data
/dev/md127 0 0 0 - /home
/dev/md127 0 0 0 - /apps
/dev/md127 0 0 0 - /var/ftp/Music
/dev/md127 0 0 0 - /var/ftp/Pictures

Message 14 of 20
Tinnsoldaten
Aspirant

PC issue with not finding valid path with apps , was fixed by disabling cable network card, and just use wifi. 
By doing this is no big problem other that I dont have access to printer.

I posted my log but the whole post just disapered 

So here I post again:

=== df -h ===
udev 10M 4.0K 10M 1% /dev
tmpfs 249M 0 249M 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 249M 2.1M 247M 1% /run
tmpfs 125M 1.5M 123M 2% /run/lock
tmpfs 249M 0 249M 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/md127 5.5T 4.3T 1.3T 78% /data
/dev/md127 5.5T 4.3T 1.3T 78% /home
/dev/md127 5.5T 4.3T 1.3T 78% /apps
/dev/md127 5.5T 4.3T 1.3T 78% /var/ftp/Music
/dev/md127 5.5T 4.3T 1.3T 78% /var/ftp/Pictures
=== df -i ===
Filesystem Inodes IUsed IFree IUse% Mounted on
udev 63125 439 62686 1% /dev
/dev/md0 65536 13509 52027 21% /
tmpfs 63579 1 63578 1% /dev/shm
tmpfs 63579 575 63004 1% /run
tmpfs 63579 29 63550 1% /run/lock
tmpfs 63579 9 63570 1% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/md127 0 0 0 - /data
/dev/md127 0 0 0 - /home
/dev/md127 0 0 0 - /apps
/dev/md127 0 0 0 - /var/ftp/Music
/dev/md127 0 0 0 - /var/ftp/Pictures

Message 15 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@Tinnsoldaten wrote:

About explorer, with apps I cant get a valid path to files stored on NAS anymore. I can find files on NAS in explorer. 
But my NAS is no longer in the network items list also. 

As I tried to say earlier, that issue isn't uncommon.  I know of no good fix, so I normally suggest workarounds.

Desktop shortcuts, or just entering \\nas-ip-address in the explorer address bar will both work, and avoid the need to use the network items list.

I suggest moving on the bonding problem.

@Tinnsoldaten wrote:

=== df -h ===

Great, this is the normal fullness of the OS partition.

The next step is to try the OS reinstall.  The process is on pages 28-29 of this manual:  https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_%20OS6_Desktop_HM_EN.pdf

Make sure you do the OS reinstall, and not the factory default (the default will destroy your data).

As noted earlier, this will

• reset the network config to the default (no bonding, DHCP)
  • reset the admin password to password
  • disable volume quota (a setting on the volume setting wheel).

This shouldn't effect your data at all - but on the other hand, the bond configuration shouldn't wedge either.  So it would be good to update any backups you have of the NAS before you do this step.

Message 16 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@Tinnsoldaten wrote:

PC issue with not finding valid path with apps , was fixed by disabling cable network card, and just use wifi. 
By doing this is no big problem other that I dont have access to printer.

That's because you are double-routing.

The simplest solution is to get an inexpensive gigabit switch (maybe a Netgear GS105) and connect all your wired devices to it.  Then connect the switch to the Deco network (and only connect the Deco to the ISP router).

Message 17 of 20
Tinnsoldaten
Aspirant

Thanks @StephenB  

Its been so long since did any work on network at all , Im pretty much blind atm. 

Will need to wait for new drive for PC, then I will take backup there , just photos. 
The rest is just movies and software and some games that I can regain access to via web. 

Will look into getting a switch , and try making the setup u mentioned. 

Thanks so far and Happy New Year by the way 🙂 

I will update once all is ready. 

Message 18 of 20
Tinnsoldaten
Aspirant

or 

Message 19 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@Tinnsoldaten wrote:

or 

The TP-Link would be fine - no need for a managed switch.  If course if you have PoE devices, then a PoE switch would make sense - but otherwise would just waste money.  

The Netgear GS108 would also work.

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements