× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas 214 - Not accessible from this computer - HELP!!

Eli-W
Aspirant

ReadyNas 214 - Not accessible from this computer - HELP!!

Hi,  I'm not a great wiz at these things but i've spend my evening puzzling about how to reconnect to my NAS.

Basically i made the mistake of plugging in an external storage drive in the front of the NAS hoping to then log on and transfer files across.  Got to my PC and my NAS is no longer showing in the network connections.

First thing i did was to attempt to log in as admin, but it failed to respond on that IP address (which is the same as the front of the device as 192.168.68.125 with my PC on 192.168.68.148).  It also failed to respond to ping as well.

Ran Raidar and it found the NAS on showing the correct IP address, but each time i clicked on one of the options i get a message saying "Your Netgear storage is not accessible from this computer. Check you network settings".

Had a read around on the internet and found similar previous issues which were resolved by reloading the OS from the boot menu.  Have tried that, but has also failed to work. Tried forcing a different IP address from the router and confirmed that it updates in Raidar - seemed like a good thing to confirm. 

I have also tried hard wiring the NAS to the computer and whilst windows will allow me to browse the files i still could not connect to the admin page via a browser or Raidar.  I find that very strange!  occassionally it gave me a "Incorrect password" message

If anyone has any other ideas i would be grateful for the assistance.  Otherwise the only option i can see is to copy the data through a hardwired connection on my PC to my old decommissioned drive (time consuming and may not have enough space) and then perform a factory reset.

Many thanks

Eli

Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Eli-W wrote:

Basically i made the mistake of plugging in an external storage drive in the front of the NAS hoping to then log on and transfer files across.  Got to my PC and my NAS is no longer showing in the network connections.

Did you just try removing the drive and rebooting the NAS?

@Eli-W wrote:

Otherwise the only option i can see is to copy the data through a hardwired connection on my PC to my old decommissioned drive (time consuming and may not have enough space)

If you don't have a backup of your data you should certainly make one.  RAID isn't enough to protect it, and it sounds like it might be at risk.

@Eli-W wrote:

Got to my PC and my NAS is no longer showing in the network connections.

This is pretty common, but it doesn't mean the files can be accessed.  Normally just entering \\192.168.68.125 into the Windows Explorer address bar will list the shares (the slash direction matters here, // will open up your browser instead).

@Eli-W wrote:

I have also tried hard wiring the NAS to the computer and whilst windows will allow me to browse the files i still could not connect to the admin page via a browser or Raidar.  I find that very strange!  occassionally it gave me a "Incorrect password" message

That is strange - possibly your direct-connect to the computer wasn't done properly.  Did you just connect the NAS to the ethernet port?  Was the PC also connected over wifi to your router?

Message 2 of 9
Eli-W
Aspirant

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for your response.  To answer your questions:-

- Yes i have removed the drive and rebooted the NAS on several occassions now.  Same with PC, only thing i've not rebooted so far is the router as i try not disturb that (troublesome in its own right)

- After this little debarcle i'm certainly looking at additional back up.. lessons learned!

- Didn't know about being able to enter \\192.168.68.125 in windows explorer.  That certainly made finding my old worldbook easier.. but alas not the NAS

- i had the NAS connected as an ethernet connection and my PC with the WIFI off.  I was getting confused as which was trying to communicate with the NAS so decided to try and eliminate everything i could. 

- Another piece of information which popped in my head today is that i ran a fixed IP address on the NAS (and same address on the router).  That was so i could navigate my mobile to the NAS 

Really can't think of what else to try at present.

Thanks again

Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Eli-W wrote:

Had a read around on the internet and found similar previous issues which were resolved by reloading the OS from the boot menu.  Have tried that, but has also failed to work. 

Are you saying that you couldn't do the OS reinstall from the boot menu?  Or that it didn't solve your problem.

@Eli-W wrote:

Tried forcing a different IP address from the router and confirmed that it updates in Raidar

Then it sounds like the NAS is in fact using DHCP, and is on the right subnet.  Can you download the logs via RAIDar?  It might also be worthwhile to run the diagnostic.

Message 4 of 9
Eli-W
Aspirant

Hi

I got to the boot menu ok and selected reload OS.  It appeared to do that ok, but still wouldn't let me in afterwards.

Have just tried to selecting download the logs and diagnostics. Both prompt for user name and password but when ive tried both the default password and the one i set i get the original message about "storage not accessible" from this computer followed by ""not a valid user name or password".

Have included a few screen shots just in case there is something really daft i am missing

File manager error.PNGFirst error message.PNGFollowed by.PNGSelecting download logs.PNG

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

The username is admin, the default password (as you know) is password.

You can also try directly opening your browser to https://nas-ip-address/admin (using the real IP address of course).

Message 6 of 9
Eli-W
Aspirant

Unfrotunately no luck that way either..  Got an error message saying it took too long to respond.  When i ran windows troubleshooter (i was desperate!! haha) it just says computer is configured ok but resource not responding.

I think i am now resigned to trying to copy the data off the drive and factory resetting it.

Thank you for your help and thoughts 🙂 

Message 7 of 9
Eli-W
Aspirant

Ok...  A final update on this.

Connected to NAS via hardwire.  Ran Raidar again and suddenly it would allow me to select the buttons and gave me some of the logs and diagnostic.  Went to the admin page and found it would not let me in using my admin password.

Went to open the file area as per Stephens previous instruction and found that the IP address had changed and kept changing each time i tried to do anything.   Also found that in the file area it would open the files using my admin password (which allowed me to copy my data off in preparation of a factory reset).  However the Raidar admin page would still not open.

Went back and tried the default password and suddenly i'm in - hard wired to the NAS.  Still on a strange IP address by 1:1 connection.  Allowed me to set a static IP.  It took a power cycle to get the NAS to accept it. 

Still no connection to my Internet..  however i restarted my Router and hey-presto i can now log in to the admin page.  The mismatch of passwords still exists for now... but i am currently update to the latest version of firmware and then i will get on to that problem.

Thought i should leave an update in case anyone else gets in to the same mess in the future.

Many thanks again for your time and assistance.

Message 8 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Eli-W wrote:

but i am currently update to the latest version of firmware

If you mean 6.10.5, then I suggest downgrading to 6.10.4.  Some 6.10.5 users have lost access to the NAS web ui.  I haven't, but I think the risk is great enough that folks shouldn't upgrade to 6.10.5 until the issue is resolved.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements