× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas NV+ v2 stuck on boot menu

StephenB
Guru

@tomupnorth wrote:

. So assuming the OP's 4-disk NV+ was formatted X-RAID, he has a RAID-5 system and thus files are spread-across the disks. And even if they are in-sync, the files wouldn't be individually readable on any one disk. Do I have that right?

Correct. (though small files might be happen to fit on one disk)

One thing to keep in mind is that the ReadyNAS also has a small OS partition (4 GB). That holds Linux and the ReadyNAS application software.  That is mirrored on every disk - so Linux Reader will find that partition and the files on it.

Message 26 of 30
tomupnorth
Guide

Well, I'm embarassed. I could swear that I'd used Linux Reader (from DiskInternals) to see the file structures on one of my disks but...apparently not as I"ve tried again and it simply doesn't work. Shows the disk partitions but they do not open (not even the OS partition). I tried additionally to run the RAID Recovery tool from DiskInternals but it actually crashes on my system.

I apologize @Jimmy112 for this distraction and false hope. I would delete all my posts (so as not to confuse any who may look here in the future) but that might just cause even more confusion. Glad @StephenB knows his stuff and pushed-back on me!

I will be more careful "helping" here in the future!

🙁

Message 27 of 30
Jimmy112
Tutor

Hi @tomupnorth , @StephenB , @Sandshark , @Marc_V 

Sorry for the lack of communication lately. I have since sent my NAS off to a data recovery company who are still working on it.

If it's taking this this long then I am 100% sure I would have messed it up trying to recover the data myself.

I might leave all the replies up as it might confuse people if I start removing anything and some of what Stephen B said could help someone else later down the track

I just wanted to end this by saying thank you for your help and advise. These forums are great for novices like me and experts like you being able to help out so thank you!!!

Message 28 of 30
tomupnorth
Guide

I hope you come back here and report; let us know if you can, what methods the recovery company used and of course success or fail.

Good Luck!

Message 29 of 30
Jimmy112
Tutor

Hi @tomupnorth , @StephenB , @Sandshark , @Marc_V 

This is now done - I sent my NAS to an IT service and he managed to work out the issue. It was HDD #3 that was causing the issues.

Once I removed that it booted up as Unprotected C: but I was able to access my photos.

I've copied them across onto a Google Cloud account. 

Shortly after that my NAS started to display a message about Life Supply or something so I think it was about to die for good. 

End of the day I retrieved my photos and I am happy!!!

Thank you to all of you for your help.

Take care - Jimmy

Message 30 of 30
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 29 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements