× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas OS6 future requests

olest
Guide

Readynas OS6 future requests

1)
Snapshot function on Home folders.

2)
Snapshot cleanup Schedule/option for each share, e.g. be able to set that only snapshots up to 30 days should be kept - Automatic delete older snapshots

3)
Option to start ReadySYNC client automatically for each NAS on Readynas Remote client

4)
Add an ignore, delete or quarantine file option to virus detections

Also see my buglist at http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=154&t=72312
Message 1 of 56
super_poussin
Virtuoso

Re: Readynas OS6 future requests

for the 4) did you try to install antivirus plus addon ?
Message 2 of 56
olest
Guide

Not until you me about it 🙂

With Antivirus Plus you can only select a default action - not a selection for each file detected.
But it is better that without antivirus plus addon.

And the report and block still have a bug with an log/email every second
Message 3 of 56
whsbuss
Aspirant

I surely hope adding user quota would be on Netgear's short list. That's my most needed feature at this point.
Message 4 of 56
fordem
Mentor

Auto power on after an unattended UPS shutdown.

All of my hardware is fed from a single APC rackmount UPS and in the event of an outage will do an orderly shutdown either via SNMP or APC's network shutdown software, all except the RN102 can be made to power back on unattended when power is restored - the hardware can be made to power on automatically, because when power is applied it returns to the "last state", if it was on, it comes back on, if it was off, it stays off - all that is needed is a way to enable an automatic power on through the settings page.
Message 5 of 56
ljung
Tutor

1. Option to be able to backup a selected file/share to skydrive and/or gdrive.
2. Ability to dlna-share video files from whitin rar-archives (like the xbmc dlna server can).
3. Restart/halt from web-interface (guess it could be done from ssh witch shutdown -r/-h 0).
4. Option to be able to spin down drives, at least 7200rpm drives.
5. Ability to decrypt drives from remote, uploading the key-file over a secure connection etc.
Message 6 of 56
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

3. You can already shutdown/reboot the ReadyNAS from the web admin interface.
Message 7 of 56
ReadyAS
Aspirant

I had the functions in OS4, but they are missing in OS6 - I need them back:
1. More than one email address field for alerting (is only in OS6 1 instead of 3 like in OS4).
2. More detailed SMART report (should be detailed as in OS4).
3. Possibility to schedule switch off the NAS only (in OS6 I should define on and off simultaneously, but I need only off).
4. Correct RAIDar status is needed - look at: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=73807
5. Possibility to connect to ReadyNas with OS4 for UPS status (I can link OS4 NAS with OS4 NAS, but no OS6 NAS with OS4 NAS connected to UPS).
Message 8 of 56
StephenB
Guru

You can do (5) - my RN102 shares the same UPS as my NV+ and duo v1.

On (2) If you have a mouse with a wheel, you can see most of the SMART stats from the UI (the SMART window scrolls). But if not, you do need to download the logs. I agree that is a pain.
Message 9 of 56
ReadyAS
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
You can do (5) - my RN102 shares the same UPS as my NV+ and duo v1.[...]

So, should I try connect UPS to USB of my Ultra with OS6 and share for Pro and NV+?

StephenB wrote:
[...]On (2) If you have a mouse with a wheel, you can see most of the SMART stats from the UI (the SMART window scrolls). But if not, you do need to download the logs. I agree that is a pain.

Thank you! Yes it's a pain. For instance I can't do it on my laptop, I should connect the mouse.
In my opinion NTG should change it in newer versions - SMART parameters easily presented.
Message 10 of 56
ReadyAS
Aspirant

My 5: there is no case with UPS. Thank you again StephenB!
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=74853
Message 11 of 56
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you have a Mac you can easily use two finger scroll on the trackpad. Not sure if there is an equivalent for Windows.
Message 12 of 56
StephenB
Guru

mdgm wrote:
If you have a Mac you can easily use two finger scroll on the trackpad. Not sure if there is an equivalent for Windows.
Not sure either (particularly for Win7, which is what I am using).

Even if there is a way, the fact that the popup scrolls at all is not obvious. They should make this popup work like all their other scrolling windows. It needs to be easy to see the SMART stats.
Message 13 of 56
ReadyAS
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
mdgm wrote:
[...]
Even if there is a way, the fact that the popup scrolls at all is not obvious. They should make this popup work like all their other scrolling windows. It needs to be easy to see the SMART stats.

The old GUI (OS4) is very good in my opinion and SMART report is presented very good without unnecessary bizarre efects.

I hope that simplicity and functionality will win with the pressure to do "modern" GUI at all costs.
Message 14 of 56
fastfwd
Virtuoso

mdgm wrote:

If your Windows laptop has a Synaptics touchpad, as most do, there's a control panel for activating all sorts of extra features, including two-finger scroll.
Message 15 of 56
ReadyAS
Aspirant

Simply do the normal SMART report pages, please.
Message 16 of 56
ReadyAS
Aspirant

Could you answer for the suggestions, please?
Especially I need the OS4 functionality to schedule switch off the NAS only (in OS6 I should define on and off simultaneously, but I need only off). In other words: I want to switch on the NAS in any time and have sheduled off at 2 am at night (for instance).
Message 17 of 56
ReadyAS
Aspirant

ReadyAS wrote:
Especially I need the OS4 functionality to schedule switch off the NAS only (in OS6 I should define on and off simultaneously, but I need only off). In other words: I want to switch on the NAS in any time and have sheduled off at 2 am at night (for instance).

Is there any chance to do it, please?
I have the possibility in OS4. Why we are devoided of this in OS6?
Message 18 of 56
ReadyAS
Aspirant

ReadyAS wrote:
ReadyAS wrote:

What about the functionality of schedule for switch-off the NAS (only switch-off the NAS). Nobody need it?
I have scheduled switch-off in my OS4 and every night the NAS is switched-off at 2:00 AM. I switch-on only when I need the NAS (not everyday).
Message 19 of 56
ReadyAS
Aspirant

ReadyAS wrote:
ReadyAS wrote:
ReadyAS wrote:

What about the functionality of schedule for switch-off the NAS (only switch-off the NAS). Nobody need it?
I have scheduled switch-off in my OS4 and every night the NAS is switched-off at 2:00 AM. I switch-on only when I need the NAS (not everyday).

Will there be any changes in version 6.2 with reference to this case?
Message 20 of 56
xeltros
Apprentice

Unfortunately, Netgear policy is to not comment on non-released features. So I think you will get this information when 6.2 (or its beta) is released.
Message 21 of 56
TonV
Aspirant

Can you please add a frontview function to UPLOAD an SSH key for RSYNC?
Currently it is easier to set up RSYNC from a ReadyNas device to a non-ReadyNas device (they often do have an SSH key upload function).
I know NetGear wants us all to use Replicate, but some don't like to depend on a 3rd party website to do backups (due to privacy or availability).
My reason for requesting this feature is that although Replicate works kind of nice WHEN it works but the website is simply not reliable at the moment.

If this is not possible, how about a detailed description in the manual on how to upload an SSH key using SSH on OS6, I can't find that either...
Message 22 of 56
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The key goes in the authorized_keys file.
Message 23 of 56
TonV
Aspirant

Hi mdgm, I know the key goes there, Google is my friend... However Rsync over SSH is basic functionality, why not make it easy on the 90% (or more) of your customer who don't (want to) know putty? Also, doing this manually is more error prone, and I really hate going back to a remote site to fiddle with SSH keys!
If Replicate were much better than Rsync over SSH than I could live with that, but my recent experiences with replicate proof the opposite. It is currently not working at all. Btw, any improvements for Replicate in 6.2?
Message 24 of 56
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thanks for the request re uploading SSH keys.

There are a number of cloud changes in 6.2, so you may find Replicate is better on 6.2 once it is released.
Message 25 of 56
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements