× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Replace disk after RAID 1 rebuilt / readyNAS 102

Eric23
Aspirant

Replace disk after RAID 1 rebuilt / readyNAS 102

Hello,

I had set up a RAID 1 type assembly with 2 disks and made a backup on a 3rd disk by synchronizing it via RAID 1. Today, I broke / rebuilt the RAID 1 and formatted the 2 disks. I want to synchronize the 3rd disk with data on the currently empty RAID 1.

My question is as follows: if I position the 3rd disc which contains data in place of one of the two empty ones in the NAS, the synchronization will be carried out well from the 3rd inserted disc (with data therefore) to the one which was already present and empty?

I'm afraid that the synchro will be done the other way and that the 3rd disc will be erased.

If this solution is not correct, can you please tell me how I could proceed?

Thank you in advance for your wise advice.

Have a very good day everyone.

Eric

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Eric23 wrote:
I'm afraid that the synchro will be done the other way and that the 3rd disc will be erased.

Exactly so.

What you'd need to do is

1. destroy the RAID 1 volume (switch to flexraid, then click on the volume settings wheel.  Then you'll see a destroy option).
  2. power down and remove both disks
  3. boot up the NAS with the 3rd disk in place by itself.

After you verify that the data is there, then hot-insert one of the new disks.  It should start syncing automatically - if it doesn't, then select the new disk on the volume tab, and click format.

After that is synced, then you can hot-swap the 3rd disk with the other new one, and wait for that to sync again.

FWIW, the original method of making the backup isn't the best.  It's much better to use a backup job to copy the files to a USB drive or network share.

Message 2 of 6
Eric23
Aspirant

Many thanks for your answer !

I try it and let you know if it's ok...

Thanks again

Message 3 of 6
Eric23
Aspirant

I did destroy the RAID 1 volume, switch off the NAS, put inside the 3rd disk but when I switch on the NAS, the password isn't recognised.

Do you have any idea why ?

Thanks again fir your help

Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Eric23 wrote:

I did destroy the RAID 1 volume, switch off the NAS, put inside the 3rd disk but when I switch on the NAS, the password isn't recognised.

Do you have any idea why ?

Thanks again fir your help

Are you using the same password you were using when you created the disk?

The credentials (like everything else) is on the disk, not saved in the NAS itself.

Message 5 of 6
Eric23
Aspirant

You're probably right...the password is not the same so I will try the others I put at the time I created this disk and let you know if it's ok.

Many thanks again for your help

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements