× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Replacing the fan in ReadyNAS Duo - possible?

exrazorfish
Aspirant

Re: Replacing the fan in ReadyNAS Duo - possible?

plastiqmanb wrote:
Hey guys I to have a readynas Duo and i was getting tired of the high pitched 18,000hz type whine so just for the heck of it I searched for the 60x25 fans and came up to this : http://www.fanwholesale.com/evercool-60x25mm-p-62.html
simple and effective! Super quiet and I didn't have to have an albatross comming out the back of the nas and it has retained its normal temperature. So far so good!

Placed in plain view the "albatross" (love the name!) sticking out the back is maybe intrusive, but for me this is not an issue as I have my NAS in a bedside table; when I open the door to this table I only see the front of the NAS.

The spec on the 60x25 mm fan you found shows an airflow (CFM value) that is lower than the stock fan, so you may want to watch the drive temperatures carefully - especially for more disk intense activities (such as streaming or heavy backup jobs). The fact that there seems to be few or no 60x25 mm fans available with an airflow matching or exceeding that of the stock Crown fan is the very reason why some of us went with the "albatross" solution. Better than risking overheating the NAS. Another benefit of a bigger fan is the option to reduce the rpm of the fan as a bigger fan needs lower rpm to move the same quantity of air as a smaller fan.
Message 76 of 127
plastiqmanb
Aspirant

ahh yes razor, I did not check the crown spec before I ordered the other one (i honestly did not think much of a difference compared to voltage/amps)

So far all is well but my duo is not on 24/7. 86F is the average temp with a large copy job and a HD stream going. 🙂
Message 77 of 127
raistlin1
Aspirant

Daryn wrote:
I have my duo in my family room and it was clearly audible 12' across the room when idle. It was very annoying when under any load because it was often louder than the tv. My wife kept telling me to get it out of the room.

I just installed a Noctua NF-R8. All I can say is: WOW! Initially, I thought the fan was defective since it was virtually silent during startup and didn't feel like it was pushing much air. I recalibrated the fan and I thought the calibration wasn't working since again the fan was silent. I'm used to the hairdryer of the stock Crown fan.

The fan is perfectly fine, and the drives run at 34C instead of 40C+. My duo is now the quietest thing in my home theater. It's quieter than the DVR and PS3. My wife thought I was wasting more money until she heard, or actually couldn't hear!, the duo.

I bought a Noctua NF-R8, 60mm to 80mm adapter, and a fan grill for $20 + shipping from coolerguys.com. I had to use a utility blade to shave a little bit of plastic off the corners of the adapter so the side panel would slide back on. If you are reading this thread, get this fan, you definitely won't regret it.

Sorry for the poor picture quality, but I'm too lazy to take it again.

Probably a dumb question I know but anyway, where did you store the excess cable from the Noctua fan please?

I'm asking because I guess if it's just coiled up in the area that the original fan took up, it might reduce the effectiveness of the cooling?
Message 78 of 127
duoser
Aspirant

Just posting a quick translation of my french post, I hope it can help here.
Original: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=24941&p=218614#p218614

I've swaped the fan for an AcousticFan from here:
http://www.quietpc.com/fr-en-eur/produc ... afdp-6025b
with this http://www.quietpc.com/fr-en-eur/produc ... fangaskets
(actually I only used the squared silicon thing, not the screws, because the fan has already silicon tits shiped with)

Conditions:
- ReadyNAS Duo
- two WD10EARS WD Caviar GP - 1.0TB
- 30mn heavy disk load (ssh access to make local tar and copy)
- room at 19°C (66°F) ambiant

Results:
Normal mounting (the fan take inside hot air and push it outside): 37°C (99°F)
Reverse mouting (the fan take fresh air and push it inside): 35°C (95°F)
(in the reverse mounting experiment I have closed some small useless holes at the rear, so all fresh air pumped inside will have to go through the NAS)

BTW I've watch the air flow in both cases with some smoke ( smoke of incense, low ambiant light and a small bright lamp to see smoke). Interesting findings, not english translated yet...

Dust : normal mounting of fan let dust come inside the NAS through many holes. Reserve mounting has only one big hole on which I will adapt a home made dust filter, large enougth to let the NAS breathe.

My conclusion:
This AcoustiFan is silent, no more whining, and has enougth flow to cool those tow green disks.
I keep the reverse mouting for a lower temperature and the possibilty to filter dust.

(this is a quick night post, sorry for any bad english)
Message 79 of 127
vudoo
Aspirant

How did folks keep their 92mm adapter to remain flush with back of the Duo using those "quiet" silcon stand-off. Did anyone use screws?

I have the Noctua NF-R8 that come with those peach colored silicon things. They seem to flap around and just not secure.
Message 80 of 127
Pjotr1
Aspirant

Don’t use them and use normal screws. I have a Nexus 8 cm screwed on the back and it is really silent, no noticeable induced vibration/noise at all to the case of the DUO.
Message 81 of 127
chops1
Aspirant

Hi All,
I have finished the mod the same as Daryn, but now front veiw doesnt show that there is a fan connected.
The fan is spining at the rear of the unit. When starting up my Duo the fan speed doesnt increase rapidly like it did with the stock fan.

Does anybody have any ideas on why its not showing up?

Thanks for your reply,
Chops
Message 82 of 127
mrkalel
Aspirant

Daryn wrote:
I have my duo in my family room and it was clearly audible 12' across the room when idle. It was very annoying when under any load because it was often louder than the tv. My wife kept telling me to get it out of the room.

I just installed a Noctua NF-R8. All I can say is: WOW! Initially, I thought the fan was defective since it was virtually silent during startup and didn't feel like it was pushing much air. I recalibrated the fan and I thought the calibration wasn't working since again the fan was silent. I'm used to the hairdryer of the stock Crown fan.

The fan is perfectly fine, and the drives run at 34C instead of 40C+. My duo is now the quietest thing in my home theater. It's quieter than the DVR and PS3. My wife thought I was wasting more money until she heard, or actually couldn't hear!, the duo.

I bought a Noctua NF-R8, 60mm to 80mm adapter, and a fan grill for $20 + shipping from coolerguys.com. I had to use a utility blade to shave a little bit of plastic off the corners of the adapter so the side panel would slide back on. If you are reading this thread, get this fan, you definitely won't regret it.

Sorry for the poor picture quality, but I'm too lazy to take it again.

I just purchased everything I think I needed from Coolerguys...but picked the wrong shipping so I prob wont see everything till Fri.... As soon as I get everything I will post results... thaanks again guys!
Message 83 of 127
tomitomichino
Aspirant

Another success story:
80MM Noctua NF-R8 1800RPM
Akasa 60mm to 80mm Fan Adapter AK-M168-2 (€ 3,95!!)

Message 84 of 127
kongo09
Aspirant

One failure story:

I had replaced the fan with a Silenx ixtrema Pro 60 that comes with 14cfm at advertised 12 dBA. The fan is indeed much more quiet but nowhere near silent. But it couldn't cope with the heat and I noticed the harddisks going up to 50C. Now I've put back the old fan...

10 Euros wasted
Message 85 of 127
victorhortalive
Aspirant

I have modified my Duo fan by installing one of the add-in resistors that came with a Noctua 92mm fan.
I replaced my NV fan with a Noctua but didn't use either of the add-in resistors.
As there are only 2 drives in a Duo, the lower of the two add-in resistors seemed to work w/o giving drive temps that were too high.

For example, I have 2x Samsung HD103UJs in the Duo running all day at 35C with the fan at 1923rpm (says RAIDar).
It's quiet enough that it doesn't wake me up when it starts up (runs at half full speed at start up).
At 1923rpm or so it's OK, but not very very quiet.
Message 86 of 127
kez
Aspirant
Aspirant

just swapped mine out for the fractal designs fan mentioned earlier.

nas is now silent 🙂 and runs a few degrees cooler which was a nice bonus

cost just over £7 from ebay - bargain!
Message 87 of 127
Torn1
Aspirant

Ordering the same Fractal Design silent series 60mm from ebay.co.uk, will post results 🙂
Message 88 of 127
jetsetwilly1
Aspirant

So I bought both, the Noctua NF-R8 (with 60mm-80mm adapter) and the Fractal Design 60mm (x25mm) and tried them separately under (roughly) the same conditions. The Fractal Design fan was slightly quieter but the Noctua with adapter cooled almost 10deg.C less so I'd recommend going with the Noctua over the FD. Don't use them together, they'll only interfere with each other and there's very little room in the rear compartment - it's almost as if my RN breathed a sigh of relief when I hoiked out the original fan. The only annoying noise from the ReadyNas now is from my 2 x 2TB drives (Hitachi Deskstar) which I've reduced the noise using WinAAM but might end up flogging and buying a couple of lesser 5400rpm 2TB Sammys.
Message 89 of 127
bahman
Aspirant

does the Fractual Design fan cool better or worse than the stock fan?
Message 90 of 127
John_Bean
Aspirant

bahman wrote:

Not a lot of difference. I get roughly the same temperature but at a lower fan speed from the Fractal in my Duo. The spec shows the Fractal to have a lower output than the stock fan in theory but in practice if anything the reverse appears to be true. Best £5 I've spent recently 😉
Message 91 of 127
jetsetwilly1
Aspirant

Didn't do a great deal of testing before pulling the stock fan but my drives were reaching almost 45deg.C with the FD fan - I don't think they were that hot with the stock. Also, in the process of replacing my drives I've been running with one HDD fitted - I guess it's not too much of a surprise to say that the NAS is both quieter and a lot cooler with only one fitted.

I think if Netgear had made the NAS a little bigger with some form of rubber damping on the drive slots (even if it meant a little more fiddling installing and removing the drives), the Duo would be much better in both respects but that's just my tc and I guess it's probably stating the obvious. I suppose, like others have said, I could buy another NAS but you're always going to run into thre same issues - besides, I'm in too deep now (that's what she said 😄 ).
Message 92 of 127
pofrani
Aspirant

just curious... is it possible to change the stock fan and replace it with something better.... then swap the stock fan back into the unit in case for warranty repairs?
Message 93 of 127
John_Bean
Aspirant

pofrani wrote:
just curious... is it possible to change the stock fan and replace it with something better.... then swap the stock fan back into the unit in case for warranty repairs?

Of course it's possible - if it's a plug-in replacement like the Fractal I used. No modifications needed.
Message 94 of 127
wildgoose
Aspirant

For those that replaced the stock fan with the Noctua NF-R8 using a 60-80mm adapter, how do you get the Noctua cable to the inside of the case?

I see the picture posted by Daryn where the cable goes into a small opening in the back of the unit, however it doesn't seem possible to fit the head without cutting the wire and re-connect them. Is that what is involved?

Other mentions cutting the the stock fan finger protection. Is the cable routed through this opening? This doesn't seem easy to do with the 60-80mm adapter I got from coolerguys..

I am probably missing something obvious. I am reluctant to cut the cable fearing that I may not be able to re-connect them, and cutting out the finger protector, I will do it only if I can be sure the cable will fit in there.... (the 60-80mm adapter blocks the opening where the cables leaves the Noctua..)
Message 95 of 127
jetsetwilly1
Aspirant

Use a pin or similar to poke into the plastic interconnect and release the metal prongs - no need to cut the wires. Then just slip the cable through and re-attach the plastic connector.
Message 96 of 127
pofrani
Aspirant

John Bean wrote:
pofrani wrote:

Of course it's possible - if it's a plug-in replacement like the Fractal I used. No modifications needed.

thanks. i might get one too then... i don't think i need it.. i guess it's just an excuse to continue playing with the box 🐵
Message 97 of 127
pofrani
Aspirant

John Bean wrote:
bahman wrote:

Not a lot of difference. I get roughly the same temperature but at a lower fan speed from the Fractal in my Duo. The spec shows the Fractal to have a lower output than the stock fan in theory but in practice if anything the reverse appears to be true. Best £5 I've spent recently 😉

where did you get your fractal from? i can't even see £5 on ebay 😞
Message 98 of 127
John_Bean
Aspirant

From here. I'm close enough to use their brick and mortar outlet, the postage for smaller items bought online seems rather excessive.

PS: It's closer to £6 at present. It was under £5 when I bought it, on the "Today Only" offers list that day. Always check "Today Only" first before buying anything from Scan 🙂
Message 99 of 127
pofrani
Aspirant

hey thanks. much appreciated JOHN BEAN. i never thought about looking at scan. i'll keep an eye out for it on the offers page.. no hurry for me i guess. 🙂
Message 100 of 127
Top Contributors
Announcements